Rundblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I wasn't trying to say he won't get paid. Cup rings always pay.

But he could probably be getting paid more without stirring up questions about his quality of play in a contract year.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I wasn't trying to say he won't get paid. Cup rings always pay.

But he could probably be getting paid more without stirring up questions about his quality of play in a contract year.

Any scout who has watched Oduya play on a regular basis will do plenty of question stirring.

Career wise, he'd be smart to take a (big) pay cut and try and stick here, where he is less prone to being exposed as the turnover machine he is.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Any scout who has watched Oduya play on a regular basis will do plenty of question stirring.

Career wise, he'd be smart to take a (big) pay cut and try and stick here, where he is less prone to being exposed as the turnover machine he is.

He's 33 with a Cup ring. His next contract will probably be one of his last. He'd be wise to just go for the money.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
He's 33 with a Cup ring. His next contract will probably be one of his last. He'd be wise to just go for the money.

I suppose it depends on how long he wants to play in the NHL. We are already witnessing a trend of overpaid (and/or 30 something in age) players being waived and not being claimed. With the salary cap squeeze, I expect that trend to intensify further.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Gotta say, since he has been reinserted back into the line up these last 4 games, Rundblad has been some really good hockey.

Saucey

Jun 25, 2014
Hes got a super hard shot. Might not be the hardest slap shot ever but it really can jump off his stick. :handclap:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hoping Q is taking note of Rundblad's play and gaining some trust in him.

The 3rd pairing needs to start getting more time and taking some miles off the top two pairs.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Hopefully he can keep up his good play of late moving forward. He certainly deserves to get some more burn; we'll see if Q does the right thing and rewards him.

All and all as someone who was extremely skeptical he has certainly pleasantly surprised me.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hopefully he can keep up his good play of late moving forward. He certainly deserves to get some more burn; we'll see if Q does the right thing and rewards him.

All and all as someone who was extremely skeptical he has certainly pleasantly surprised me.

Small steps in Q's system. He was out there with under 5min left in a one goal game to put the SOG for Bickell to clean up. He's getting more quality/important ice time as the season goes on. I will say he has a knack for getting the puck to the net from the point, hard and accurately.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Small steps in Q's system. He was out there with under 5min left in a one goal game to put the SOG for Bickell to clean up. He's getting more quality/important ice time as the season goes on. I will say he has a knack for getting the puck to the net from the point, hard and accurately.

And his confidence is soaring --- twice last night he had the puck in our D zone behind the net and crossed in front of our goalie with a guy draped all over him. He was strong on the puck and skated it out each time. This is something he would not have even attempted two weeks ago (much less succeed in doing). He is a fine skater, shoots fairly well and I'd like to see his minutes go up quite a bit (as Seabs and Duncs time goes down --- so that our 1st pairing does not have fried legs come playoffs).

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
And his confidence is soaring --- twice last night he had the puck in our D zone behind the net and crossed in front of our goalie with a guy draped all over him. He was strong on the puck and skated it out each time. This is something he would not have even attempted two weeks ago (much less succeed in doing). He is a fine skater, shoots fairly well and I'd like to see his minutes go up quite a bit (as Seabs and Duncs time goes down --- so that our 1st pairing does not have fried legs come playoffs).

+1

Looks like Bowman knew what he was doing. Go figure.

Fortyfives

Jul 13, 2011
Kid definitely has improved his confidence. I'd like to see him work on his puck handling.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
+1

Looks like Bowman knew what he was doing. Go figure.

No question Rundblad is playing better, but how could he help but do so after his miserable opening stint with Hawks.

He has a long way to go yet. Let's not act like he is anything more (yet). I think we still have 3 dmen in RFD that could take his spot at any time, but I understand that Q wants to ease him along, with a we'll see attitude.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Like everyone I've been impressed with Rundblad.

I hope they find a way to work Erixon in too. Young, two-way, puck-moving defensemen with Erixon's size don't grow on trees.

I remember when Oduya came to the Hawks he was shocked by how much "freedom" he had as a defenseman in Q's system. He was allowed to play how he was developed in Sweden instead of the North American style most NHL defenseman are forced to play on the smaller ice.

In the USA defenseman are taught to make great breakout passes and how to regroup...if they are anywhere else on the defensive side of the ice with possession they are looking to gain the red line and dump it in. Most Canadians grow up playing the same way. I think this is the reason the Hawks bring in so many Swedish defenseman who were developed on the international ice.

It has been well documented here Oduya's turnover problems. Actually many of the defenseman make stupid turnovers...Keith and Seabrook not exempt. I don't mind it though. I'll take the turnovers and give the defenseman the freedom to play creatively instead of confining them to a low-risk, mechanical game. I think the Hawks have one of the best 5v5 systems in the NHL and it starts with the defenseman. It is hard to find the right fit. I think Stan knows where to look though.

Not a surprise that Rundblad and Erixon were bad fits on grinder teams like Phoenix and Columbus.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
No question Rundblad is playing better, but how could he help but do so after his miserable opening stint with Hawks.

He has a long way to go yet. Let's not act like he is anything more (yet). I think we still have 3 dmen in RFD that could take his spot at any time, but I understand that Q wants to ease him along, with a we'll see attitude.

Not suggesting Runblad's going to be a Top 4 D-man anytime soon, or maybe even ever, especially for us. But he's a hell of a lot better than the hot mess or garbage that some (many?) were suggesting not too long ago.

And, yes, some of the kids in Rockford have a higher ceiling (Pokka, Johns).

While he's far from a finished product, Runblad looks like a keeper. His passing has been good, as has his composure and shot. I agree w/the OP who said he needs to work on his footspeed.

Maybe Q won't need to play Rozy in 18 straight games.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

IMO, no one down in Rockford, outside of maybe Pokka, has the ceiling that Rundblad has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad