Rundblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think Johns has a higher ceiling than Rundblad has.

Defensively, sure. Johns doesn't have that offensive ability Rundblad does though. If Rundblad becomes half decent defensively and reaches his potential offensively, he will be a great Dman. I think Johns has more of a chance at reaching his potential than Rundblad does, though.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
IMO, no one down in Rockford, outside of maybe Pokka, has the ceiling that Rundblad has.

Well perhaps... but who really knows with young dmen? Rundblad needs to get quicker but yeah, a lot of his struggles seem to be between his ears. Q is easing him in, and it seems to be helping his confidence. Still not sure how he would react in a physical series. I fear, not great.

I'd like to think that John's upside is pretty high, and if Clendening could get some good coaching defensively, his could be as well. (thinking where Keith was at his age). Dahlbeck showed some good offensive instincts when here, and he too could get a lot better if he's coachable. Pokka, I know nothing of him, other than what I've heard from folks here, and Brennen ... well, a long shot, but like I said, who knows? Unfortunately, we can't keep them all to find out; some decisions to package a few of them will likely come soon.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Runblad has some some nice puck handling skills and a wicked shot from the point as we have seen
I see him developing into a top 4 dman and who knows maybe Erixon may tag along in that respect.
With TVR coming back in a couple of months we are going to be looking pretty darn solid on D!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I agree, i was very underwhelmed with both of them

It was their first time in the NHL, what were you expecting, the second coming of Neidermyer and Lidstrom? :P

I thought they were fine. Rundblad has looked better of late, which makes sense given he was a) a higher draft choice and b) has actually played NHL games before.

Getting up to speed with a new system is one thing, getting up to speed with the pace and toughness of the NHL is something entirely different.

Runblad has some some nice puck handling skills and a wicked shot from the point as we have seen
I see him developing into a top 4 dman and who knows maybe Erixon may tag along in that respect.
With TVR coming back in a couple of months we are going to be looking pretty darn solid on D!

I actually think it's more likely that Rundblad anchors the third pair, and one of the rookies plays with Hammer. I think Q would want at least ONE NHL presence on each line, rather than putting Rundblad with Hammer and having a 3rd pair of fairly raw rookies, next year. Depending on how those rookies play, maybe you see pairings switch around.

Will be interesting to see the Hawks without a stable 2nd pair for the first time since the Odie trade. And if anybody remembers that gap between Campbell and Odie, it wasn't fun times.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Rundblad still looks terrible especially in defensive end

So slow and indecisive.

terrible? Sheesh, you sound like hawknut.

Runblad's been a damn sight better than terrible. He's been good. He's relatively slow from a standstill, but his passing has been mostly pinpoint, he's making good decisions and he's calm under pressure. His shot is a hard and accurate. Best part is he's improving rapidly.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Classic BWC. Players he gets a hate on are terrible, awful and horrid. Worst ever. And the great part is that it doesn't really have to do with reality at all. It's like he just sits down and chooses a player at random and among the next thousands of posts you can be sure that a good part will be how awful and worst ever that player is.

I have been actually surprised that Q has played Rundbland this much lately and paired him up with Erixon. And it shows in Rundblad's game. Always thought he had a toolset but just lacked the confidence to utilize it. I guess getting more icetime, getting to know the system and getting an old pal in Erixon on the same team must have upped his comfort level. I hope he continues to improve and we see less of Roszy (who's play I didn't mind too much when he played, but probably worth saving for the playoffs as a decent reserve).

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Rundblad still looks terrible especially in defensive end

So slow and indecisive.

Big time. I mean he doesn't go into the corner hard. One of the goals in Washington was him just brutal. I was like here it comes, Ovie out v 3rd pair. Both did NOTHING in front of net, again, and 5 didn't go to corner.

I think he is just brutal. Can he snap a puck around, sure. Does that trick people into thinking he can be "good. Yes. Can he be a top 4 D-man in the NHL. No.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Big time. I mean he doesn't go into the corner hard. One of the goals in Washington was him just brutal. I was like here it comes, Ovie out v 3rd pair. Both did NOTHING in front of net, again, and 5 didn't go to corner.

I think he is just brutal. Can he snap a puck around, sure. Does that trick people into thinking he can be "good. Yes. Can he be a top 4 D-man in the NHL. No.

Can he be a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman? Yes.

Why do people expect him to be a top 4 guy anyway? He's a decent 3rd pairing option and has been playing better as of late. It's not like he is being put out there against the Ovechkins of the world on a regular basis either (nor should he be).

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Rundblad, Erixon, TVR, Clendening, Johns etc are all fine as 5-6 d-men

1 of these will have to jump up and replace Oduya next year ... the question is ...

which of these kids makes the jump and can play as a #4 ?

Nothingman*

TVR was making his case before the injury. We'll see how he recovers.

Yeah. I am curious about that. I hope he makes it back this year but that is wishful thinking perhaps. As when he is scheduled to come back is when the playoffs start roughly and he will not be up to game speed I would guess.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Rundblad's progression has been very encouraging to me.

I'm interested to see how he plays when he's in an even tougher fight for ice time when TVR comes back.

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009
Even with Oduya and Rozsival out, there will be a too many NHL capable Dmen.
Personally I think the future 4th Dman is Pokka, the youngest of the prospects, but with the highest upside.
I would see TVR as No. 5 with Rundblad, Erixon, Dahlbeck, Clendening, Johns (and maybe also Brennan) fighting for 6-7th spot.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Another good game for Runblad. Pretty bad turnover in the 1st period, but all in all a fairly good game. Guy has a dangerous point shot, is a very good passer and has been dependable on the back end.

The keepers look to be TVR, Runblad, Pokka and Johns. Clendening, Dahlbeck and Brennan will (probably) be dealt. Think the Hawks are going to clear the deck for Palliotta.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Rundblad's progression has been very encouraging to me.

I'm interested to see how he plays when he's in an even tougher fight for ice time when TVR comes back.

Yeah, it's somewhat of a catch-22. Lately, Bladder has looked better when he plays more minutes, however when TVR returns to the Hawk line-up, those minutes are liable to go down. He seems to be settling in quite well, since Q upped his ice time from the meager minutes he was on the ice at the beginning of the season. In my mind his recent play has been a rather pleasant surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad