Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I think anyone suggesting Treliving is just running up the prices for Edmonton isn't thinking clearly and cooking up some conspiracy in their minds because they think it looks good for the rivalry. You can't just drive the prices up for guys unless you are willing to pay that price. What happens if the price is driven up and Treliving balks? Then you ruin the relationship with a potential trading partner, more if other teams figure out that you are try to artificially inflate the market.

Before any of the Talbot/Lehner rumors came out, there was a Cam Ward rumor and coupled with that rumor was the suggestion that the Flames were potentially moving Hiller. Even before that Treliving has spoken about how prospects cannot become overcooked in the minors.

There is a much better chance that that Hiller will be traded or that Ortio will waived snd sent down (or traded if they think he might get claimed) than Treliving playing games just to screw the Oilers. Quite frankly if Treliving is playing games like that, he should be fired.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think anyone suggesting Treliving is just running up the prices for Edmonton isn't thinking clearly and cooking up some conspiracy in their minds because they think it looks good for the rivalry. You can't just drive the prices up for guys unless you are willing to pay that price. What happens if the price is driven up and Treliving balks? Then you ruin the relationship with a potential trading partner, more if other teams figure out that you are try to artificially inflate the market.

Before any of the Talbot/Lehner rumors came out, there was a Cam Ward rumor and coupled with that rumor was the suggestion that the Flames were potentially moving Hiller. Even before that Treliving has spoken about how prospects cannot become overcooked in the minors.

There is a much better chance that that Hiller will be traded or that Ortio will waived snd sent down (or traded if they think he might get claimed) than Treliving playing games just to screw the Oilers. Quite frankly if Treliving is playing games like that, he should be fired.

Completely agree.

Hiller has always seemed like he was Plan B so to speak. It just seems to me like Ward was being targeted as more than a cap dump. Mark Spector (at least I think it was him), said that Hiller is on the block this offseason, as he was at the trade deadline. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind there is legitimate interest in the goalie market from the Flames perspective, whether it be Talbot, Lehner or someone else.

I think it is very likely that either Hiller nor Ramo are back next year, or we go with a Talbot/Lehner/Ramo duo.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I think it would be a mistake for the Oilers to part with anything more then their third rounder. Maybe Scrivens at 50% + third but even still those Oiler picks are valuable this year.
I don't think Talbot is worth the Oiler's second either at 33, but I think Talbot for the 57th pick is pretty fair.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I wonder If 15th + 53rd+ Hiller could get us to 9th overall... SJ get's their new #1, Flames move up 6 spots..

most likely not, but moving to 9th would be a Godsend. I think at least one of Connor, Barzal, or Werenski, would be available which is a huge talent jump from what's there at 15. But also why I don't think a team would move down from that range, especially not a team kicking off year 1 of a rebuild like San Jose.

Aug 21, 2014
I think it's too early to be drinking heavily.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Any interest in the enigma that is Scott Glennie? I only say this due to his draft pedigree, and his handness.

most likely not, but moving to 9th would be a Godsend. I think at least one of Connor, Barzal, or Werenski, would be available which is a huge talent jump from what's there at 15. But also why I don't think a team would move down from that range, especially not a team kicking off year 1 of a rebuild like San Jose.

Eh, thought so. Couldn't hurt to ask. :laugh:

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario

Don't get me wrong, I do that that the Flames are interested but Treliving won't give what the Rangers want for Talbot or what the Sens want for Lehner, I feel that we are pretty much there to make sure those players don't get moved for cheap to anywhere but Calgary. I didn't mean to "screw the Oilers". I meant to make sure that nobody else gets a steal like our deal for Colborne or for Drew Shore.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Two questions:

1) Does anyone think Hathaway has a chance to make the Flames next year?

2) Who are the prospects you are expecting big jumps from?

Kulak and Culkin for me. To me, they are still are best two D prospects just because they can both skate and move the puck. Both need to get a lot stronger and work on their shots though.
I like Hickey a lot too, he can really shoot. And he's fast and powerful in a straight line. But he needs to work on his edge work, his lateral mobility needs work.

They are all projects but I think they can become top four d-men if everything works out.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Two questions:

Kulak and Culkin for me. To me, they are still are best two D prospects just because they can both skate and move the puck. Both need to get a lot stronger and work on their shots though.
I like Hickey a lot too, he can really shoot. And he's fast and powerful in a straight line. But he needs to work on his edge work, his lateral mobility needs work.

They are all projects but I think they can become top four d-men if everything works out.

1) I don't think so. Our Flames' team is stacked on forwards, better for Hathaway to play top 6 RW minutes in Stockton and maybe gets a call up or two.

2) I expect Agostino and Arnold to get cracks at the roster. Culkin can possibly get a shot at it too.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Two questions:

Hathaway, imo, will be one of the first call ups next year. I love the way he plays and competes!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I could see Hathaway being next seasons Jooris.

As for prospects, Arnold, Culkin, Kulak, Wotherspoon and Poirier. The latter two should be getting close to becoming full time NHL'ers while the former three should works towards becoming primary call ups.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
1) I don't think Hathaway sees any NHL time next year with Hudler, Colborne, Jones, Jooris, Shore and Poirier all ahead of him.

2) Poirier may get some more time this year. I think Arnold will get a few games this year. I also think Agostino sees some time. On the blueline I think Wotherspoon and Morrison get some time and I think they give Nakladal a shot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
1) I don't think Hathaway sees any NHL time next year with Hudler, Colborne, Jones, Jooris, Shore and Poirier all ahead of him.

2) Poirier may get some more time this year. I think Arnold will get a few games this year. I also think Agostino sees some time. On the blueline I think Wotherspoon and Morrison get some time and I think they give Nakladal a shot.

I think he is behind those guys, but I did hear Treliving say a few weeks ago that he wouldn't be surprised if Hathaway earned a spot out of camp and said he's right there. He could be very well next years Jooris. But all things being equal, I agree that he has some others he needs to pass, but I wouldn't be shocked either to see him get some time at some point.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I think he is behind those guys, but I did hear Treliving say a few weeks ago that he wouldn't be surprised if Hathaway earned a spot out of camp and said he's right there. He could be very well next years Jooris. But all things being equal, I agree that he has some others he needs to pass, but I wouldn't be shocked either to see him get some time at some point.
The difference between Jooris and Hathaway is the fact that Jooris had an open job to strive for, where as Hathaway has to steal it from someone.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Kulak has a very nice NHL-calibre shot. Hickey's is probably better and Morrison's is probably harder, but I don't think Kulak necessarily needs work on his shot (not that improving it won't help - it always will). Kulak's biggest weakness is just rookie penalties he sometimes takes, he tries to play like he's actually 6'1 when he spent so many years being an undersized Keith type defender who just used his stick.

As for your questions:

1) Yes Hathaway has a chance, but the opportunity will need to open up. Treliving spoke glowingly about him as basically a right handed lance bouma and he liked Hathaway's goal scoring too. Over/Under on Jones' first injury of 2015/16 is the Over/Under on Hathaway's first callup. Definitely a crowded forwards roster though, I can't wait for Raymond to get traded away, he's terrible.

2) The prospects I'm expecting big jumps from would be Kulak, Morrison, and Shore.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Either of those guys were not good enough to be on the team. Jooris should have there from the beginning of the season. There is a reason both were sent down.
Yes and Jooris was a big reason why. Then we acquired Shore after that. McGrattan and Setoguchi were also practically handed spots out of camp because of their resumes.

GFG

Oct 19, 2013
There are some rumours that the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl are considering trading some of their young players, including Rushan Rafikov. Interesting from the Flames standpoint since the biggest reason Rafikov wanted to stay in Russia was that he could play for Lokomotiv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad