Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Can't see any team trading anything more than a cap dump of their own in exchange. Only a remote chance a team like the Coyotes would take him for little, and that's only if they needed help in reaching the cap floor. And they'd have to wait until the late summer for that possibility, and the buyout period is long done by then.

More importantly, he takes up a valuable roster spot. I'd much, much rather have Bollig and Byron as the 13th and 14th forwards than keep Raymond as a placeholder.

Based on last year, I don't think that's the competition. If Byron and Raymond do end up duelling for the 14th forward spot, I think we'll see Raymond in Stockton. I don't see it getting to that point, though.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Raymond also generates the most shots/60 during 5 on 5 gameplay which the Flames are amongst the worst of the worst for.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Based on last year, I don't think that's the competition. If Byron and Raymond do end up duelling for the 14th forward spot, I think we'll see Raymond in Stockton. I don't see it getting to that point, though.

He did finish the season alternating between the fourth line and the press box, if I remember correctly.

Think he loses his roster spot to Shore and since he's not a good pressbox type, better just to move on entirely. No need for the possible sideshow and/or unhappy attitude around prospects by sending him to Stockton.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He did finish the season alternating between the fourth line and the press box, if I remember correctly.

Think he loses his roster spot to Shore and since he's not a good pressbox type, better just to move on entirely. No need for the possible sideshow and/or unhappy attitude around prospects by sending him to Stockton.

I don't think he's utterly useless, though. He was great in certain games this season where he was clearly playing with a chip on his shoulder. I'm fine with Raymond alternating on the fourth line, and I'm not yet ready to declare him an "addition by subtraction" candidate.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/

If you look at these charts you will find Raymond consistently follows under the Worse D, slightly better O section. I find them pretty useful, it shows how GOAT Giordano is.

While advanced stats are great, you still have to apply the eyeball test. And there is no denying Raymond at times did nothing more than either turnover the puck, skate down the boards and then turnover the puck behind the net when checked, or throw a wrist shot from outside the faceoff circle into the goalies chest.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
As per Darren Dreger: Cam Talbot is a hot commodity. Edmtn, Cgy, SJ, Dallas + Florida have expressed interest. Multiple trade offers. First 3 most likely targets
What do you guys think of this?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I dont understand why we would pay assets for a backup.

He is much more than a "backup". He's just stuck behind Lundqvist, and has been pretty impressive so far in his first two years in the NHL. He's 33-15-5 in that time with a GAA of below 2.00 and .934 SV%. Those are pretty impressive numbers.

That said, with one year remaining on his contract and set to be a UFA, it is entirely possible we would only get one year out of him.

I would love to have Talbot in Calgary, but like everything it depends on price.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Those are good numbers but its also on one of the best defensive teams in the league. Combine his lack of NHL experience with being one year away from being a UFA and I wouldn't pay.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Yeah. Is Talbot really an upgrade over Hiller/Ramo? I mean we could spend no assets and resign Ramo

Maybe that's the point. What if Ramo's not interested in signing with us or the team doesn't like his asking price? Either way, they'd need to replace him to maintain their depth in goal.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Those are good numbers but its also on one of the best defensive teams in the league. Combine his lack of NHL experience with being one year away from being a UFA and I wouldn't pay.

In terms of GA, sure they are near the top, is that more in part to good defence or good goaltending? It's really kind of impossible to say 100%. But it's not like the opposition doesn't get chances while playing the Rangers, they finished 14th in SA/G with 29.5. For comparison sake, that's more than what Calgary, and Carolina gave up.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
In terms of GA, sure they are near the top, is that more in part to good defence or good goaltending? It's really kind of impossible to say 100%. But it's not like the opposition doesn't get chances while playing the Rangers, they finished 14th in SA/G with 29.5. For comparison sake, that's more than what Calgary, and Carolina gave up.

I mean I can't get into it because honestly I don't know, but I would think that means the shots that they do give up are from the outside and with no one getting to the rebound.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I mean I can't get into it because honestly I don't know, but I would think that means the shots that they do give up are from the outside and with no one getting to the rebound.

I can't either but I'm sure there is some sort of stat nowadays that measures shot quality or something along those lines. If anyone knows of anything like that I'd be interested to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad