Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bWo*

Maybe I'm just being greedy but I don't want Hudler moved short of vast vast overpayment.

His mentorship and leadership has been absolutely huge. Not to mention I really don't think its a good idea to ship out our only legit top six RW and leading point scorer when there was such a precipitous drop off in forward scoring after our top line.

I mean if we get to the deadline and we regressed terribly and are way out of it? Sure. Move him and beg him to please come back in the off season.

couldn't agree more

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Ok so with Gio Monahan Gaudreau being the first to get new contracts, is there room for both Russell and Hudler ( if he didn't get traded ) ??

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ok so with Gio Monahan Gaudreau being the first to get new contracts, is there room for both Russell and Hudler ( if he didn't get traded ) ??

Of course there is. I'm not sure why everyone thinks Monahan and Gaudreau are going to take so much cap space from us when they aren't.

Monahan and Gaudreau will probably 3 year, 4-5m deals. It won't even be that bad.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Do you think Monahan and Gaudreau get identical deals?

Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Similar to what happened to Toews and Kane on their first extensions (5 years, 6.3 million AAV). Hopefully slightly lower cap hit then they got then though. Though Sean and Johnny have accomplished less, the cap has gone up since then (59.4 to the 70-73 million its supposed to be next year).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Of course there is. I'm not sure why everyone thinks Monahan and Gaudreau are going to take so much cap space from us when they aren't.

Monahan and Gaudreau will probably 3 year, 4-5m deals. It won't even be that bad.

There's talk that they'll forgo bridge deals with Monahan. Young top centres don't come around often, and there's been some speculation that they'll just tie him down for 8 years with a big cap hit (Edmonton-esque).

Honestly, the Flames will be okay if they lose the Ladi Smid and Engels type deals. That's 6 million right there; throw in Jones and Raymond, and we're talking another 7 million. 13 million in players that probably aren't worth 13 million; are things we need to be avoiding. If you toss in 3.125 for our fourth line centre... Calgary's looking at 16 million dollars that if shed can really help us out.

It's just important to get good deals out of your core pieces, because if you start getting too high with all of them... good luck keeping them together and adding pieces as you go along.

Clearly the core in Calgary is:
Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Brodie and Giordano.

Of those five players, only two are cap controlled after this next season (Brodie on a great deal for a #2, and Bennett on his ELC).

Giordano will get a raise. He's not going to be playing for 4 million anymore. If Brodie took 4.65/year, I don't think it's crazy to think Gio will command 7 or so; probably along the lines of 5 years, 33-40 million easy.

Gaudreau might get a bridge deal after this season. Along the lines of 4-5 million/2/3 years prove me deals.

Monahan might take the same bridge, or he might be one of those guys you lock up for 8 years @ 6 million and be happy about the deal when he hits ~24/25 (deal will take him to 29 years old).

So right there, in two years you're looking at about 22 million into 5 players, probably 28 million in three years when you have to reup Bennett (again, you might just give him the long-term contract as a centre). That's fairly good, meaning you can add another top two pieces and a good roll-playing group.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Going the Subban/Johansen route with Monahan and Gaudreau would be a very, very, very bad idea.

No need to penny pinch or be so myopic with the faces of the franchise; give them both identical 5-6M x 5-6 year deals and call it a day. It's in the same vein as the first contract extensions Toews, Kane, Ryan, Getzlaf*, Perry*, Kessel*, and Stamkos signed.

*=contracts and players signed by Burke.

Aug 21, 2014
Going the Subban/Johansen route with Monahan and Gaudreau would be a very, very, very bad idea.

No need to penny pinch or be so myopic with the faces of the franchise; give them both identical 5-6M x 5-6 year deals and call it a day. It's in the same vein as the first contract extensions Toews, Kane, Ryan, Getzlaf*, Perry*, Kessel*, and Stamkos signed.

*=contracts and players signed by Burke.

Nah go that route. We went longterm on Phanuef and he didn't turn out to be an elite #1, just a middling #1.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Nah go that route. We went longterm on Phanuef and he didn't turn out to be an elite #1, just a middling #1.

You'd rather have to pay them 9 mil a year after their bridge contracts than 6 mil per long term because there's a minor risk that they might not continue to be as good as they have been?

In order to build a contender in a cap environment sometimes you have to take on a little risk. Look at the Hawks: Keith's contract saves them at least 2 million in cap space per season, and until this year Toews and Kane's contracts were excellent value as well. Same goes for Carter and Brown with the Kings, and Bergeron/Krejci with the Bruins. Yes, occasionally there's a Phaneuf (or worse, a Richards), but for the most part, these long-term deals have been beneficial to the teams.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
8 year 50 mill for Johnny and Monny

6.25 AAV. They make more then taking a bridge deal, we save a few years of FA money. Much better for our cap and both sides win IMO.

5 years 38.5 million for Gio. (Basically what Iggy got plus inflation).

When Gio leaves use that extra cap for Brodie, JH, Monny, Bennett long term.

Sign Ilya Kovalchuk 1 year 9 million and trade for Milan Lucic.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think Johnny is a mostly finished product. We know what we have in him and I'd be happy giving him ~5.5m a year as he's an elite winger in a class of his own. Extending him ASAP would be the best approach.

Monahan's more of a question mark, which makes sense as he's two years younger.

1) His defense isn't in the elite group yet. He's good but he's not yet even the 2nd best defensive center on the team, never mind that vaunted Toews/Kopitar class.

2) His offense benefitted greatly last year from Johnny and Hudler. If those guys go down with injury, can he carry the offense? We've seen what he can do with Byron, Glencross and Colborne and while it's good, is it 6m good? Don't get fooled by his 30 goals, that would be a big mistake in my opinion because while he was a great trigger man, from a #1C you want a line-driver who makes the line go at even strength.

3) As a possession driver, Monahan made some strides last year while facing increasingly tougher competition. But at face value he wasn't the possession player we need him to be. Can he make similar strides now that he's accustomed to the competition.

4) As a faceoff guy, Monahan's goal should be to hit the 53-55% mark. But he's not there yet.

I feel like they should let Monahan know that 2015-16 is his year to show what he's worth. Offer him a ~5 year, 4.4 million dollar AAV extension now. He and his agent know this is a business, this isn't about offending him. If he takes the deal, fantastic. If he feels he's worth more, he has his full 2015-16 season to do so. There's no rush to give him Johnny money when he hasn't yet developed. He's done what Brodie did in 13-14 so a Brodie contract would be a very reasonable extension.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
You'd rather have to pay them 9 mil a year after their bridge contracts than 6 mil per long term because there's a minor risk that they might not continue to be as good as they have been?

In order to build a contender in a cap environment sometimes you have to take on a little risk. Look at the Hawks: Keith's contract saves them at least 2 million in cap space per season, and until this year Toews and Kane's contracts were excellent value as well. Same goes for Carter and Brown with the Kings, and Bergeron/Krejci with the Bruins. Yes, occasionally there's a Phaneuf (or worse, a Richards), but for the most part, these long-term deals have been beneficial to the teams.

Yes, because that would Gaudreau would contending for the Art Ross trophy and Monahan would contending for the Selke and Richard. The Canadiens are kicking themselves that yes they had to pay more. But they also known Norris trophy/contending D-man locked up longterm. Both have there +/-'s.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Robin Lehner / Any other Goalie. Why???

And by "everyone" i mean Friedman and company, so ya. Seriously though in like 5 articles I've read the Flames are among teams interested in available goaltenders, most recently, Robin Lehner. I was under the impression we had a bit of a log jam in net, and that Ramo may not be offered an extension to allow Ortio to move up, and for Gilles to start in the AHL. Wouldn't adding Lehner add another unproven, "potential" keeper to the problem? Considering the price is a top 6 forward and a draft pick, for argument sake I will assume its a 4th round pick this year or a third round pick next year(-ish). I think the goalie market is flooded, and that asking price will scare away a ton of teams who go else where, and the price could drop, but wtf do i know, (answer: notmuch)

Potential, assuming Murray gets his asking price, trade would look like:

CGY:
Any second line guy (excluding Sam B, Duh) ,
Backlund, Jones, Colborne
4th Rnd 2015 or 3rd rnd 2016

OTT:
Robin Lehner.

Backlund on his own would be too much. I hate it.

For the record, I do not like this idea at all, and hope it dies faster than the Kessel ********, but its been circulating. Can anyone tell me why Treliving would even put in a call to Murray, even just tire kicking, WHY give that up when u have a UFA in Ramo who has been really good at times, and the cost would be $$$. If he walks its Ortios shot as G2, I dont get it, at all. PLZ EXPLAIN.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
And by "everyone" i mean Friedman and company, so ya. Seriously though in like 5 articles I've read the Flames are among teams interested in available goaltenders, most recently, Robin Lehner. I was under the impression we had a bit of a log jam in net, and that Ramo may not be offered an extension to allow Ortio to move up, and for Gilles to start in the AHL. Wouldn't adding Lehner add another unproven, "potential" keeper to the problem? Considering the price is a top 6 forward and a draft pick, for argument sake I will assume its a 4th round pick this year or a third round pick next year(-ish). I think the goalie market is flooded, and that asking price will scare away a ton of teams who go else where, and the price could drop, but wtf do i know, (answer: notmuch)

CGY:

OTT:
Robin Lehner.

For the record, I do not like this idea at all, and hope it dies faster than the Kessel ********, but its been circulating. Can anyone tell me why Treliving would even put in a call to Murray, even just tire kicking, WHY give that up when u have a UFA in Ramo who has been really good at times, and the cost would be $$$. If he walks its Ortios shot as G2, I dont get it, at all. PLZ EXPLAIN.

I don't think we are going for Lehner. If we do though, I wonder if Hiller gets traded.

I don't see management throwing out Ortio and Lehner as our duo, that would be stupid.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't think we are going for Lehner. If we do though, I wonder if Hiller gets traded.

I don't see management throwing out Ortio and Lehner as our duo, that would be stupid.

Unless it's MayRay for Lehner and then Hiller for a pick or involved in some larger trade... I don't see the point in this.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

CGY:

OTT:
Robin Lehner.

There could be a number of reasons.

Competition. Maybe they don't jjust want to hand Hiller/Ortio a spot on the team. I think one of the reasons the goaltending was so successful last year is that whoever was starting had two guys challenging for the spot every day. If neither Gillies or MacDonald are NHL ready, there can still be competition on the big club.

If the club can't/doesn't want to re-sign Ramo, they need to replace the spot in the organization's depth.

Or, maybe he's got a line on trading Hiller? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad