Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
yes he does decent deals

but the bad ones outweigh the good ones

Not saying he doesn't make bad one's either. But name me some GMs who hasn't done bad deals ever in their careers? I personally think if this was the best GM ever in Edmonton's position, we'd still find a way to rip into him. I mean, why is everyone wanting Lowe back as GM over Chia? Wasn't it us who wanted Lowe gone completely? That's what I don't understand.

It's the expectations from everyone here and the pressure we give as fans that create GMs "Worse" than they really are.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That’s more of a hindsight bad contract, looked alright in year 1 and outright awful now.
Not really. Everyone knew it was going to be bad at some point. That point just happened to arrive sooner than expected.

Not saying he doesn't make bad one's either. But name me some GMs who hasn't done bad deals ever in their careers? I personally think if this was the best GM ever in Edmonton's position, we'd still find a way to rip into him. I mean, why is everyone wanting Lowe back as GM over Chia? Wasn't it us who wanted Lowe gone completely? That's what I don't understand.

It's the expectations from everyone here and the pressure we give as fans that create GMs "Worse" than they really are.
When the entire league laughs at every transaction you make, you're probably a terrible GM. It doesn't matter if other GMs make bad moves. Especially when your GM corrects those bad moves for the other GMs.

The best move he's made since he arrived was drafting Connor McDavid. Apart from that almost everything he's done has been a disaster. The Hall trade, the Eberle trade, the Reinhart trade, the Lucic signing, Sekera's contract looks terrible right now. Overpayments after overpayments. Needless buyouts. Poor development of our top prospects.

I expect competency, not miracles. And I don't even get that from our current GM.

Reactions: Faelko

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Everyone knew it was going to be bad at some point. That point just happened to arrive sooner than expected.

Except not really. Everyone claimed it was going to be bad because he was going to be too injured with his play style. People couldn’t have been less correct about Lucic despite guessing the outcome

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Except not really. Everyone claimed it was going to be bad because he was going to be too injured with his play style. People couldn’t have been less correct about Lucic despite guessing the outcome

That's not true at all. The concern was that his production would tail off as he aged, which happens with a lot of power forwards.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
upload_2019-1-22_10-10-57.png

would you guys be ok with this lineup ? if Sekera stays on LTIR bonus for us

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
When the entire league laughs at every transaction you make, you're probably a terrible GM. It doesn't matter if other GMs make bad moves. Especially when your GM corrects those bad moves for the other GMs.

The best move he's made since he arrived was drafting Connor McDavid. Apart from that almost everything he's done has been a disaster. The Hall trade, the Eberle trade, the Reinhart trade, the Lucic signing, Sekera's contract looks terrible right now. Overpayments after overpayments. Needless buyouts. Poor development of our top prospects.

I expect competency, not miracles. And I don't even get that from our current GM.

When Chia took over, the Oilers' best players/assets were McDavid, Drai, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom. four years later, the Oilers' best players are McDavid, Drai, Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom. He hasn't added a single impact player to this roster. That's staggering.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People were worried about him slowing down due to the pace of the game being higher and that's exactly what happened. He's not worth 6 million now, never mind 3-4 years down the road.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
When Chia took over, the Oilers' best players/assets were McDavid, Drai, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom. four years later, the Oilers' best players are McDavid, Drai, Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom. He hasn't added a single impact player to this roster. That's staggering.
Not through trade, not through draft, not through signings...

The perfect trifecta.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That's not true at all. The concern was that his production would tail off as he aged, which happens with a lot of power forwards.

I mean, it just is. You’re actually going to try and pretend like people say powerforwards just suddenly stop scoring for no particular reason as they age? Everyone says it’s because of the play style, which leads to injuries, and a decline. That simply didn’t happen with Lucic.

People were worried about him slowing down due to the pace of the game being higher and that's exactly what happened. He's not worth 6 million now, never mind 3-4 years down the road.

No they weren’t. That’s just making things up with hindsight. And plenty of slow players are still effective

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Either way, not trying to defend Chia in all of this, because quite frankly, his time here is almost done, but I am curious what his thinking is on all of these deals he's done. Seems to me people see only 1 side of things when something goes sour, but how do we really know if this was 100% Chia or someone else is pulling the strings? This is why I don't think it really matters who you have as the next GM, because unless everyone is canned, no one will know if it's been Chia doing this or the OBC.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
View attachment 178367

would you guys be ok with this lineup ? if Sekera stays on LTIR bonus for us
Sorry man, team is still not going anywhere with that Lineup.

You need aggressive forechecking type above average speed and IQ and with tenacity and stick skills.

Think:

Burokovksy
Stone
Athanasiou
Pitlick
Anders Lee

type players on your second and third lines.

Not Colby f***ing Cave, Yamamoto, Lucic. That's a recipe for instant fail

you also cant go into next season putting all your eggs in the Klefbom basket. The guy is made of glass. Once he is out your defense goes into the dumps.

In other words its a badly constructed team. Chiarelli can't judge what your modern NHL player looks like. Katz and crew cant see what Chiarelli is all about

Last edited:
Reactions: space321

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Were Spooner and Rattie on waiver for re-assignment to the Condors or just to see if anyone would take them on for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad