Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
IMG_2677.JPG

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Everyone's scoring declines as they age. I expect players who are slow or less skilled see declines faster than those who don't rely on speed or physicality, but possess sound fundamental skills. Lucic isn't fast enough to keep up with the play and isn't skilled enough to work around those limitations the way a guy like Joe Thornton can.

So you’re saying as soon as January 1st, 2018 came, he immediately went from young to old, and was done? There is no logical reason for this. Just look at Dustin Brown, who plays a similar game, and also inexplicably fell off a cliff offensively. Brown was a steady 55 point guy, and then became 27 point guy when he was 28, only to have a career year and put up 61 points at 32. Sometimes players haven’t declined. They’re just in a cold stretch (Brown’s lasted 4 years) for whatever reason.

This whole argument is dumb semantics - who cares if people were concerned the later contract would be bad because of injuries, or just bad because he'd age and get bad, it's substantially the same point - but I just have to say that if you doubt that people here were upset about contract length at the time of the signing, you're wrong. They were clearly in the minority of posters at the time, but they absolutely were there:

Confirmed with Link: - LOOOOOOOOOOOCH (Oilers Sign Lucic, 7-years, $6M AAV, NMC)

"This really is an abhorrent contract. Hopeful it pays off in the short term.

Money. Term. and the NMC.

Did Chia bother to negotiate? Or did he just fold like he did with the Hall/Larsson deal."

""Ya those details made a suspect contract even worse IMO."

"I approved of the 6 million and term but A full nmc 1st 5 years hinders us if he falls of the cliff"

"Surprised you did not quote my 1st post on this. I guess you approve of a full nmc for 5 years . Is this a good thing? Chia is not a strong GM not going to stop being a fan because I think we have a moron Gm and because I am A Oiler fan does not mean I have to embrace every idiotic move he does like you do . "

"We'll get some good hockey out of Lucic, but ultimately we will regret this signing prior to his 7 year contract running out. Doesn't have the skill or hockey smarts to age gracefully, he relies very heavily on his physical attributes."

And finally, because this made me lol - @GreatKeith posted this:
"People wanted to get bigger, they got bigger.

Should we try to get smaller again?"

Suck on that, people who say all he ever did was ***** about the team's moves. He was there DEFENDING THE LUCIC SIGNING!

Except you’re missing the argument entirely. It’s not semantics because he didn’t decline because he got old. He just suddenly stopped being able to put up points, mid season, like a switch was flipped. He didn’t get old. He didn’t get injured. There’s no logical reason he should be this bad, so claiming you knew he’d decline as he aged doesn’t make you correct any more than the people claiming he’d get injured and decline.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Sekera, Klefbom coming back should make this team a little better.

Moves Benning and Manning out of lineup.

With his safety blanket back (Klefbom) hopefully Larsson can get his game back to 2017 form.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

With his safety blanket back (Klefbom) hopefully Larsson can get his game back to 2017 form.

Ya, if Sekera can come back as half the dman he was before the injuries, we’re getting a huge boost to the lineup. Subbing in a #1/2 (Klefa) for a #6/7 (Benning), and a like #4/5 (Sekera) for a #8/AHLer (Manning) is big enough, but we’re also talking about adding 2 guys who should easily be among our 7 highest scoring players. As much as they’ll help defensively, with our incompetent offense, adding the points is probably the biggest upgrade. Just gotta hope Sekera can even be a #4/5 (it’s obviously asking too much for him to step in and be a #2 again).

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Agreed. Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Russell and Sekera are all NHL dmen, even if they are playing too high up in the lineup. If Klefbom and Larsson were our second pairing we would not be criticizing them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maroon, Schenn and Parayko

For

Spooner, Talbot, JP and our 1st.

Would you?
Why is STL doing that? JP and the 1st barely gets one of Schenn or Parayko. Now you want to add two cap dumps, one of which has term left?

I'm sure Maroon could be had for cheap though

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Small move
Talbot (retained 2M) and Benning
For
Carrier and Engelland

Engelland just a cap move, Carrier has good underlying numbers, Talbot provides Vegas a cheap/uninjured backup, Benning is = or > than Engelland. Oilers still save 1M even with the retention.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sekera is almost certainly getting bought out IMO.

4 more years of dead cap after this one? That would be a really REALLY bad idea. I'd rather ride out the 5.5M for the next 2 than stretch out his cap at a discounted rate for 2 extra years.
Best case scenario is that he gives it a go, realizes that he can't play at an NHL level anymore and retires so we can put him on LTIR for the duration of his contract. Buying out multi-year contracts is a last resort move and I would be a no resort move if it was up to me.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Small move
Talbot (retained 2M) and Benning
For
Carrier and Engelland

Engelland just a cap move, Carrier has good underlying numbers, Talbot provides Vegas a cheap/uninjured backup, Benning is = or > than Engelland. Oilers still save 1M even with the retention.

Not sure they move Engelland.

Reactions: joestevens29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad