Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
4 more years of dead cap after this one? That would be a really REALLY bad idea. I'd rather ride out the 5.5M for the next 2 than stretch out his cap at a discounted rate for 2 extra years.
Best case scenario is that he gives it a go, realizes that he can't play at an NHL level anymore and retires so we can put him on LTIR for the duration of his contract. Buying out multi-year contracts is a last resort move and I would be a no resort move if it was up to me.

His buyout actually isn’t that bad.

You save almost 4M this year and next then you have a 2.5M cap hit for 2 more years after that.

Considering our need to compete ASAP, it’s worth it.

Although I’d explore LTIR first.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
As for Sekera, I would do:
Sekera + 4th 2020
For
Kovalchuk (retained 1M to make cap even)

Sekera returns to the Kings for a Kovalchuk that’s in the doghouse, the 4th is for the retention. Kovy could thrive on PP or playing with McD. Both players have 3 yrs left. Kovy isn’t my ideal target but it’s good to put Sekera money to use somewhere.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
His buyout actually isn’t that bad.

You save almost 4M this year and next then you have a 2.5M cap hit for 2 more years after that.

Considering our need to compete ASAP, it’s worth it.

Although I’d explore LTIR first.

I understand it from that perspective but the 2.5M in Years 3 and 4 for a player who is long gone is going to be a problem.
Saving 4M next season is very tempting though, not gonna lie. I don't know, I don't think I'd do it. Just suck it up for 2 more years or explore the permanent LTIR option.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So you’re saying as soon as January 1st, 2018 came, he immediately went from young to old, and was done? There is no logical reason for this.

You're making the mistake of thinking his decline started in January of last year when the signs were there even the year before when his 5v5 production tanked to its lowest level of his career to that point. IMO, Lucic started to slide in his last year in Boston, rebounded a bit in LA and has completely gone off the rails here in Edmonton.

Just look at Dustin Brown, who plays a similar game, and also inexplicably fell off a cliff offensively. Brown was a steady 55 point guy, and then became 27 point guy when he was 28, only to have a career year and put up 61 points at 32. Sometimes players haven’t declined. They’re just in a cold stretch (Brown’s lasted 4 years) for whatever reason.

I don't know enough about Dustin Brown's case to know why he went into the tank when he did. I can tell you his 5v5 scoring rates didn't dip nearly as bad as Lucic's have. His PP time got chopped,which probably accounts for a big part of his production decline and as soon as he started getting big PP minutes again last season, his production jumped. So there's your likely explanation.

Whatever the reason, when you look at Lucic today, there's not a player there anymore.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Another deal I would do it Rieder + 3rd for Burakovsky
Chiasson + 5th for Ho-Sang + 4th (which becomes a third of Isles make it to round 2)

End up something like this:
Bura-McD-Pulju
Kovy/RNH-Drai-HoSang
Carrier-RNH-Khaira
Identity Line

More or less same D

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
EDM 1st 2019 unprotected + Spooner for Mark Stone

Is about what I expect, but I think Stone could throw a wrench in that by refusing to sign an extension.

If they can get him to agree, I think they re-sign Stone at $8.7 million (Oiler tax) x 8 years.

To be honest I don't like Stone's game all that much. Good shot but not a lot of speed or puck skill.

That's what I suspect the Oilers will do though. You have two dumb GMs in Chiarelli and Dorion that desperately need to save face.

Ottawa gets a 1st rounder that could even win the draft lottery to sell to their fans, Chiarelli gets a winger after he's gutted the forward group for the better part of 4 years to try and save whatever is left of his career.

If they cannot get an assurance to re-sign from Stone, they will try Hoffman from Florida as plan B for the same price (a massive overpay relative to what they could've gotten him for just a few months ago). It's all very Chia.

Stone has tons of skill. Good puckhandler, very underrated playmaker, one of the better defensive forwards in the league and most importantly, elite Hockey IQ which is something that will always be there even if he loses a step as he enters his 30s. He's also a guy who I could see wanting to be here and re-signing at a somewhat reasonable cost (as long as there's a new GM doing the negotiating). I prefer him over Duchene for example.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I understand it from that perspective but the 2.5M in Years 3 and 4 for a player who is long gone is going to be a problem.
Saving 4M next season is very tempting though, not gonna lie. I don't know, I don't think I'd do it. Just suck it up for 2 more years or explore the permanent LTIR option.

2.5m probably wouldn’t be that bad. It’s basically Pouliot + Gryba now.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
When is this all going to heat up? Are they allowed to trade during the All-Star break or not?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd like to see them try retaining 50% on Sekera.

If you do the buy out it's

$2.5
$2.5
$1.5
$1.5

For Sekera, but retaining 50% makes it

$2.75
$2.75
And done

I mean it's basically the same cap savings and it's better for Sekera too since he gets to retain his full salary.

Since they are going to do something stupid like trade their 1st 2019 pick, I'd at least insist the team receiving the pick take Sekera @50%. His actual remaining salary would be 2.25 per, a team like Ottawa can probably deal with that and there's a fair chance he could go on LTIR to boot.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
So would swapping Chiasson for Stone be enough of an improvement?

04086308-3d8e-40ff-ab18-de1b1e7c737e.png

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
One thing that is driving me nuts about the Koskinen signing is the timing. It's a signal to the entire league that we HAVE to move Talbot now, or lose him for nothing, bringing down his already low value.
How do you bring his value up when you play him in net hoping to do that and he lays a turd almost every time?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Which was a mistake at the time and in retrospect.

It was a mistake because we didn’t actually need the extra cap space at the time and the actual savings were smaller compared to the cap penalty.

In this case it’s not nearly as black and white. We need the cap space. 4M saved x 2 years is pretty significant and 2.5m x 2 years as a penalty is ... worth it IMO.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Except you’re missing the argument entirely. It’s not semantics because he didn’t decline because he got old. He just suddenly stopped being able to put up points, mid season, like a switch was flipped. He didn’t get old. He didn’t get injured. There’s no logical reason he should be this bad, so claiming you knew he’d decline as he aged doesn’t make you correct any more than the people claiming he’d get injured and decline.

Plenty of players slow down by now - look at Bobby Ryan. It's less likely but not unheard of. What's your point anyways? That no one could have possibly seen this coming this early? Its a year or two earlier than most of those posts critiquing the deal from than thread would have predicted, but it's not like this is TOTALLY out of nowhere. People commented at the time that the contract was a big risk to give to a player like Lucic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad