Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd do it if a guy like Stone or Duchene were willing to sign.

1854e7d0-031d-4e07-adb1-03a978b871b7.png

Even a Sekera buy out gets you $3 mill in cap space.

Duchene or Stone probably will want $8-$9 million and there's no guarantee they even want to re-sign here.

And if you commit to that you're basically locked in. That team better eventually bring home a Stanley Cup.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd do it if a guy like Stone or Duchene were willing to sign.

1854e7d0-031d-4e07-adb1-03a978b871b7.png

Might not even have to if things are as bad as I think they are with his knee. Perma LTIR might be the ticket.

I honestly expected an AHL conditioning stint by now.

Also looking at that cap situation makes me facepalm at the Manning acquisition all the more. What the f*** was Chiarelli thinking.

I think both Spooner and Manning are Condors next season. Buys a shade over 2 mil in cap space.

Benson-McDavid-Draisaitl
Duchene-RNH-Puljujarvi
Chiasson-Marody-Yamamoto
Lucic-Cave-Kassian
Brodziak-whoever

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Jones-Persson
Petrovic

Koskinen
Elliot

Assuming something like 20191st+2020 2nd+Benning+Khaira+Talbot for Duchene, some slug, and Hammond happens this season. Duchene signs a standard Chia overpayment.

There’s very little room for improvement and it still banks heavily on kids on the wing but adding a Duchene level talent IS do-able.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If we dump Benning for a pick, resign Khaira for 1.75 mil, Pulju for 1, and Chiasson for 2.5, we have ~8 million to sign a backup goalie and 3 more forwards.

upload_2019-1-22_8-32-44.png

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
The cost of acquiring Tarasenko would gut this team. You would instantly have several more holes to fill.
As far as I am concerned, even with players playing, the team has the same holes because they guys suck so bad and aren't useful. We just have a lot of non NHL players skating around and taking up space and not accomplishing anything.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If we dump Benning for a pick, resign Khaira for 1.75 mil, Pulju for 1, and Chiasson for 2.5, we have ~8 million to sign a backup goalie and 3 more forwards.
View attachment 178231
That roster would still be nowhere near good enough to compete. Maybe bubble again.

If they miss the playoffs this season there will be major changes in the offseason, either through panic trades by this management group or a new one who wants to put their stamp on the team.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Buyouts would be the absolute worst thing to do.
How? Would you rather have Sekera and Spooner eating up 7.7-8.6 million next year and 5.5 the next or taking up 3.6 in those two years and 1.5 the two after? 1.5 is measly and we would gain huge amounts of cap space in the short term.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Might not even have to if things are as bad as I think they are with his knee. Perma LTIR might be the ticket.

I honestly expected an AHL conditioning stint by now.

Also looking at that cap situation makes me facepalm at the Manning acquisition all the more. What the **** was Chiarelli thinking.

Dude doesn't want to be GM here anymore but doesn't want to quit and forfeit his millions.

So he tries to play 4D chess and purposefully make bad moves to get Nicholson to fire him.

Little does he know Nicholson is playing 5D chess.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How? Would you rather have Sekera and Spooner eating up 7.7-8.6 million next year and 5.5 the next or taking up 3.6 in those two years and 1.5 the two after? 1.5 is measly and we would gain huge amounts of cap space in the short term.

Has a team ever had four buyouts on the cap before? We’re still paying Pouliot and Gryba.

Chiarelli pays a decent top 9 forward in a slump for a bottom pairing slug but he couldn’t even get a conditional 7th in 2022 for Gryba?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Because Sekera is a great candidate for LTIR.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
That roster would still be nowhere near good enough to compete. Maybe bubble again.

If they miss the playoffs this season there will be major changes in the offseason, either through panic trades by this management group or a new one who wants to put their stamp on the team.

I would sign Marcus Johansson for 2 million, Curtis McBackup for 1, and Jakob Silverberg for 4.5. He won't command as much because he is on pace for about 38 points. It would work cap wise, if we dump Benning.

upload_2019-1-22_8-51-7.png

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It does matter, hence why GM's don't pile up multiple buyouts
So the 1.5 million in years 3 and 4 after this one are a deal breaker? Tell me how it matters? We gain huge cap this and next summer and the only dead cap space we would carry beyond that is 1.5 mil for two more years. To me the 1.5 mil of dead space (less than we have now) 3 and 4 seasons from now is less concerning than Sekera and Spooner occupying 8.6 and 5.5 mil over the next two years.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The 1st rounder Chia trades away at this deadline will go on to win the Calder Trophy in two years. Book it.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I checked out the C market this summer and it sucks.

It re-affirms that McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge all running their own lines would be paramount to getting things on track next season.

It's always easier to find wingers, unless you're Peter Chiarelli.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
EDM 1st 2019 unprotected + Spooner for Mark Stone

Is about what I expect, but I think Stone could throw a wrench in that by refusing to sign an extension.

If they can get him to agree, I think they re-sign Stone at $8.7 million (Oiler tax) x 8 years.

To be honest I don't like Stone's game all that much. Good shot but not a lot of speed or puck skill.

That's what I suspect the Oilers will do though. You have two dumb GMs in Chiarelli and Dorion that desperately need to save face.

Ottawa gets a 1st rounder that could even win the draft lottery to sell to their fans, Chiarelli gets a winger after he's gutted the forward group for the better part of 4 years to try and save whatever is left of his career.

If they cannot get an assurance to re-sign from Stone, they will try Hoffman from Florida as plan B for the same price (a massive overpay relative to what they could've gotten him for just a few months ago). It's all very Chia.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad