Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's like teams saw that the Oilers/Panthers series might go 7 and decided to just say f*** it and get the off season started anyway today lol.
The draft is a week from Friday. If the Oilers win we are talking 4 days till the draft. I am surprised we have not seen more deals.

The Oilers don't even have a GM as of July 1. I have to assume that Jackson will be taking on a lot of the major decisions.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ones that play on your top line generally do though. And I assume that's where they've got him penciled in.

Washington is heading into a substantial rebuild and a lot of cap comes off of their books over the next two seasons.

I think priority #1 for that franchise is getting OV to the all time goals record. And PLD probably helps him do that while allowing him to play a more freewheeling offensive style game.
Adding a lazy, terrible defensive center seems like it would do the opposite.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He's the same guys he's always been though. Lots of skill, but not even the slightest interest in battles or defense.

Now they've got two of those.
Sure, but what were they supposed to do? Backstrom's done, Kuzy's gone (and had similar issues anyways). They don't really have many tradeable assets, and they probably don't want to trade any real futures anyway since they're so close to a full on rebuild. But they want to give Ovi the best team possible while he's still around, they saw an opportunity to add a potential top-6 center who's still quite young in exchange for a bad goalie contract, and they took it. I can't really fault them for it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure, but what were they supposed to do? Backstrom's done, Kuzy's gone (and had similar issues anyways). They don't really have many tradeable assets, and they probably don't want to trade any real futures anyway since they're so close to a full on rebuild. But they want to give Ovi the best team possible while he's still around, they saw an opportunity to add a potential top-6 center who's still quite young in exchange for a bad goalie contract, and they took it. I can't really fault them for it.
Just stick with Strome? Seems like he's played well enough to play with Ovi.

Sewering your cap situation for 7 years to improve the second line doesn't make much sense if the main goal is to prop up Ovi.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What are they supposed to do?

Like you said they are close to a full blown rebuild. Adding a player with reoccurring character issues and who’s paid way too much for 7 years is the last thing you should do.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dubois is not even a big assists guy. When he is on he is more of a goal scorer.
He's been a 25g - 35a guy for the majority of his career this far. Seems fairly normal for a center.
PLD might not even play C on the Caps.
Why? In each of the last three seasons he's taken nearly 1000 draws in each of them. Square peg in round hole if they don't.

Reactions: McDoused

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He's been a 25g - 35a guy for the majority of his career this far. Seems fairly normal for a center.

Why? In each of the last three seasons he's taken nearly 1000 draws in each of them. Square peg in round hole if they don't.
Strome, LaPierre, McMichael, Dowd.

If he's lazy why play in at C? Play him to his strength on the wing

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You are letting your dislike for Nurse cloud your judgement. The fact you spam these threads with this topic helps prove that point.

Retaining two or three million on any contract of that length is extremely poor cap management especially for a perennial contender. That's many years of dead cap space.

I'd rather have $2M of dead space than $4.25M of dead space. Continuing to throw a D man over the boards that is setting records for playoff ineptitude, and is progressively getting worse each playoff season isn't a good recipe for a contending team either.

The "oh my god dead space!!!!" paranoia again. Currently, generously, Nurse is about a $5M D man. So currently, we would be carrying about $4.25M of dead space holding him on the roster. I'd rather have $2M of dead space plus a player that can actually be relied up on in the playoffs and not carried by a rookie.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not take on one of the worst contracts in the league would be a start. Not only that but a player who has been a malcontent at every stop and has serious work ethic issues. Not exactly the type of guy you want to center a rebuild around.

I would have said the same for any team that traded for Nurse. Why? would immediately spring to mind but at least Nurse gives an honest effort on the ice even with the multitude of mistakes.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I actually think we could be fairly well set up next season if we buyout Campbell and possibly move Ceci and/or Mcleod. You can also potentially utilize Kane as an LTIR case with his injuries.

Sign Janmark and Brown for around 1.25m each for a few years.

Almost certain with this run we can entertain the idea of players signing for their cup run (say a van reimsdyk).

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I actually think we could be fairly well set up next season if we buyout Campbell and possibly move Ceci and/or Mcleod. You can also potentially utilize Kane as an LTIR case with his injuries.

Sign Janmark and Brown for around 1.25m each for a few years.

Almost certain with this run we can entertain the idea of players signing for their cup run (say a van reimsdyk).
A Kane buyout is not painful but if we're already buying out Campbell, they probably don't want to add more future cap burden.

Still think re-upping Vinny a few years cheap and moving on from Kulak is a smart move.

$2.75M for 2 more years is too much for a #5D, with young players passing him and he only shows up for the playoffs, probably could get a decent asset with the playoff run boosting value.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
We're pretty obviously running Ekholm, Nurse, Broberg down the left side next year. If Kulak can't or doesn't want to play on the right then there is no room for him even if we wanted to keep him on.

Bad news is I think the org is going to move on from Kulak only to spin right around and immediately give something similar to Desharnais.

Reactions: McDoused

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
A Kane buyout is not painful but if we're already buying out Campbell, they probably don't want to add more future cap burden.

Still think re-upping Vinny a few years cheap and moving on from Kulak is a smart move.

$2.75M for 2 more years is too much for a #5D, with young players passing him and he only shows up for the playoffs, probably could get a decent asset with the playoff run boosting value.
Depth players who show up for the playoffs are exactly what you want on cup contending teams. VD probably gets paid close to Kulak anyways.

Reactions: TB12

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder if Brodie would want to come back out west. He wouldn't be the sexiest pickup, but at his age, he might take like a 2 year deal at $3-4M to play the right side on the second pairing.

A Demelo, Roy or Pesce would be nice, but they're going to want money and term. Brodie is kind of the forgotten option behind Tanev for veteran guys that might come in cheaper on shorter terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad