Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder if Brodie would want to come back out west. He wouldn't be the sexiest pickup, but at his age, he might take like a 2 year deal at $3-4M to play the right side on the second pairing.

A Demelo, Roy or Pesce would be nice, but they're going to want money and term. Brodie is kind of the forgotten option behind Tanev for veteran guys that might come in cheaper on shorter terms.
I could see Tanev signing with the Oilers at 3M x 3 years

• Wow
Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if Brodie would want to come back out west. He wouldn't be the sexiest pickup, but at his age, he might take like a 2 year deal at $3-4M to play the right side on the second pairing.

A Demelo, Roy or Pesce would be nice, but they're going to want money and term. Brodie is kind of the forgotten option behind Tanev for veteran guys that might come in cheaper on shorter terms.
Pretty sure Brodie is completely cooked. That’s the word out of Toronto anyways. He was pretty bad last year. A liability out there.

I would love Demelo or Roy or Pesce if we can afford. Doesn’t look like we’d be able to though.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Strome, LaPierre, McMichael, Dowd.

If he's lazy why play in at C? Play him to his strength on the wing
Because his strength is at center. Dubois is ranked 50th in the NHL over the last three seasons in even strength production for centers. And that's including this past season where he played very little in a primary offensive role.

His contract is bad. The player isn't.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
We're pretty obviously running Ekholm, Nurse, Broberg down the left side next year. If Kulak can't or doesn't want to play on the right then there is no room for him even if we wanted to keep him on.

Bad news is I think the org is going to move on from Kulak only to spin right around and immediately give something similar to Desharnais.
It seems more like they want to try and make Broberg a RD at this point.

Be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Reactions: Hockeylife2018

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Pretty sure Brodie is completely cooked. That’s the word out of Toronto anyways. He was pretty bad last year. A liability out there.

I would love Demelo or Roy or Pesce if we can afford. Doesn’t look like we’d be able to though.
I haven't paid attention to him, but he looks good on paper.

Led the Leafs in TOI vs. elites by a mile and had the best numbers on the team against it.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

To me, whenever you have a positive roster crunch like this, theres only one smart play that will avoid losing value and wasted development. You have to shop around for an upgrade.

If you are a seller, or a UFA market dweller, a back room negotiator trying to keep everyone together… you lose out most of the time. Sometimes you make the right call and the right cull and the team improves internally, but you lose value on a player or 2 along the way.

Go shopping, be a buyer, use your capital. Don’t let anything rot on the vine or slip away for nothing. Find a young cheap D with pedigree that fits on ELC or RFA and trade up for him.

Reactions: Faelko

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

It depends what kind of contract Vinny is looking for, but to me the smart play would be to move Ceci and run it back with the other 6 next year with a bit of a different alignment, at least to start the year.

Nurse-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg
Kulak-Desharnais

Pairing Broberg with Ekholm would be ideal to continue his development like what they did with Bouchard. I’d also like to see them try the Nurse/Bouchard pairing again before dishing out a huge contract to Bouchard. It’s only a matter of time before age catches up with Ekholm, so it’d be a good idea to see if that pairing will work before being locked into those two long term.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We're pretty obviously running Ekholm, Nurse, Broberg down the left side next year. If Kulak can't or doesn't want to play on the right then there is no room for him even if we wanted to keep him on.

Bad news is I think the org is going to move on from Kulak only to spin right around and immediately give something similar to Desharnais.
We don't even know who the GM will be so I wouldn't assume anything.

If anything this playoff run shows that they don't need VD at all, particularly that the PK has thrived without him, and he probably lost a lot of leverage as a result. I don't see moving Kulak in any capacity to make any sense. They've gone with the 4 lefty thing and have done very well with it at the highest level in the Conference and Stanley Cup finals so why would that be an issue going forward?

I've mentioned this before, the Oilers can buyout Campbell, move Ceci and have over $17m to play with with only depth players needing to be signed, the RFAs in Broberg and Holloway who will re-sign for cheap and Henrique who at this point in his career shouldn't command more than $4m. No need to move Kulak and I'd actually look to extend him for a few years if anything, he should age pretty well as a low maintenance swift skating player.

On a related note, I was listening to a segment with Seravalli today discussing the potential Vinny contract and saying something along the lines of that the Oilers couldn't afford to meet the numbers he wanted.
Do these people understand the Oilers cap situation at all. What is with these guys and always defaulting to "The Oilers are in a cap crunch so they can't afford this, that or the other". It's BS, at least this offseason. Next and beyond is when it gets more complicated but even then, Kane's contract will be coming off the books or be more tradeable.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It depends what kind of contract Vinny is looking for, but to me the smart play would be to move Ceci and run it back with the other 6 next year with a bit of a different alignment, at least to start the year.

Nurse-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg
Kulak-Desharnais

Pairing Broberg with Ekholm would be ideal to continue his development like what they did with Bouchard. I’d also like to see them try the Nurse/Bouchard pairing again before dishing out a huge contract to Bouchard. It’s only a matter of time before age catches up with Ekholm, so it’d be a good idea to see if that pairing will work before being locked into those two long term.
I don’t think Nurse-Bouchard make a very good pairing. After Ekholm is done, I could see Broberg - Bouchard as a pairing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t think Nurse-Bouchard make a very good pairing. After Ekholm is done, I could see Broberg - Bouchard as a pairing.
Broberg has absolutely shown the potential to be a top 4 guy eventually, IMO. Potential doesn't mean he will do it, but I expect your Broberg - Bouchard pairing will come to fruition in 2 or 3 years.

Knowing that the UFA market for RD is probably going to make getting an upgrade on Ceci restrictive, and realizing that Nurse is a staple to our blueline and won't be moved anywhere, I hope we see this next year:

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci/Desharnais split duty

Reactions: Faelko

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Nurse-Bouchard
Ekholm-Broberg
Kulak-Desharnais

That's what I would run with next year unless we can acquire a good top 4 RD and move VD to 7th D.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Those are basically the only 3 RD on the market worth looking at, as we don't need a bottom pair guy. I can't imagine any of them consider Edmonton though. Maybe Demelo, he's the only Canadian of the 3 and we know how American players prefer to not play in Canada. I'm not sure if Demelo is enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Those are basically the only 3 RD on the market worth looking at, as we don't need a bottom pair guy. I can't imagine any of them consider Edmonton though. Maybe Demelo, he's the only Canadian of the 3 and we know how American players prefer to not play in Canada. I'm not sure if Demelo is enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile.
Demelo is a complete stud imo. Are we talking about a Ceci upgrade?

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I wonder if we would be on his 16 team no trade list, ha ha.
Don’t know if he could finish building the house he’s been building the last six years this summer. Missing all of that time due to injuries really cut back on his road trips to Edmonton to work on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManofSteel55

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
I could see Tanev signing with the Oilers at 3M x 3 years

Wholly shit the implosion of flames and canucks fans would be complete. Not to mention TO where all the leafs fans think Tanev will be. They are probably right though and will overpay him massively even at his age.

We don't even know who the GM will be so I wouldn't assume anything.

If anything this playoff run shows that they don't need VD at all, particularly that the PK has thrived without him, and he probably lost a lot of leverage as a result. I don't see moving Kulak in any capacity to make any sense. They've gone with the 4 lefty thing and have done very well with it at the highest level in the Conference and Stanley Cup finals so why would that be an issue going forward?

I've mentioned this before, the Oilers can buyout Campbell, move Ceci and have over $17m to play with with only depth players needing to be signed, the RFAs in Broberg and Holloway who will re-sign for cheap and Henrique who at this point in his career shouldn't command more than $4m. No need to move Kulak and I'd actually look to extend him for a few years if anything, he should age pretty well as a low maintenance swift skating player.

On a related note, I was listening to a segment with Seravalli today discussing the potential Vinny contract and saying something along the lines of that the Oilers couldn't afford to meet the numbers he wanted.
Do these people understand the Oilers cap situation at all. What is with these guys and always defaulting to "The Oilers are in a cap crunch so they can't afford this, that or the other". It's BS, at least this offseason. Next and beyond is when it gets more complicated but even then, Kane's contract will be coming off the books or be more tradeable.

Desharnais is a depth Dman. We have other players that can fill that role especailly now that the team plays with so much more structure.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's been a 25g - 35a guy for the majority of his career this far. Seems fairly normal for a center.

Why? In each of the last three seasons he's taken nearly 1000 draws in each of them. Square peg in round hole if they don't.
He has 92 assist over the last 3 years. That puts him about 50th for centers. He has 71 goals that puts him about 30th. His offensive is not designed to feed OV in his spot. He also scores a lot from the paint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad