Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Apparently Friedman said the UFA defensemen are getting offered "the Orlov deal".

We could see some stupid money thrown out on short term deals.
And then he said he wasn’t supposed to say that because there’s no tampering in the NHL. Elliotte confirming the corruption that everyone has known for years.

But thanks for confirming, all the same.

Next week, he does an expose on game management by referees.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
From my memory Nurse and Barrie worked pretty well as a pairing, Bouchard should be able to make that work again as well. I always feel Nurse is at his best when he’s not the guy who’s being relied on to get the puck out of the defensive zone himself, I think that’s a big part of why it’s worked with him and Broberg so far.
And Kulak and it's why it didn't work with Ceci or Desharnais or Larsson to use a past example. Nurse is at his worst when he has to be the skater/main decision maker on the pairing.
Him pairing with a guy that can distribute the puck and skate out of trouble so Nurse doesn't have to do it all the time allows him to simplify his game and not think as much. With Ceci and VD, he has to carry a heavier load. Ideally you'd expect your $9.25m Dman to be able to do that but that's not who he is so they need to partner him with more of a puck carrier. It's why I thought Walker would have been a better fit for him than Tanev for instance. Carrier could be a good target or just simply pair Broberg with him next season.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Idk people here wanted him years ago. Is he a better linemate and mentor for Broberg than Nurse?

He’s one of those guys I’d try to sign if they decide to move Nurse.
And who fills Nurse's role with that ~$3m you're freeing up with that trade off?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hall is way less injury prone than Arvidsson and we’re rumoured to be in deep on him. If Hall is available for below market value you’d be drunk not to be interested in him imo

Where is this rumor from?

I didn't think the guys really cared for Hall.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hall's coming off a knee injury that put him out for almost an entire season. Bringing him in and banking on him being a top 6 winger feels like it'd be Connor Brown part 2.
But without the feel good part possibly? Who knows, I would trade Kane for him in the off-season though

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He has a full NTC but the buy out would work not that he would choose to go to the Sharks.

I am saying you are giving a break to a young player and Stu was in the same boat last year and all you did was shit on him.
Give it a break. You seem to be hounding me any chance you get with Skinner. You might as well change your username to Evander Kane’s Ex. Can’t let things go and just enjoy the good times right now haha

Reactions: McDoused

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Where is this rumor from?

I didn't think the guys really cared for Hall.
Saying we’re in deep is a bit of an exaggeration from what I read but Seravalli was saying Arvidsson is a guy the Oilers would be interested in come July 1. The fit makes a ton of sense, and then he’s got a history with Ekholm so that could be the extra pull.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Saying we’re in deep is a bit of an exaggeration from what I read but Seravalli was saying Arvidsson is a guy the Oilers would be interested in come July 1. The fit makes a ton of sense, and then he’s got a history with Ekholm so that could be the extra pull.

Yeah Arvidsson makes sense. I don't see the team wanting Hall.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The team desperately needs 2nd line wingers, question will be if Hall is still capable of being a 2nd line winger after yet another injury. He was one of Boston's best forwards in their chokejob against Florida but he was hurt almost the entire season this year.

Was a knee injury as well so I don't think he'll be back at a high level.

here is the thing. By fitting in I also mean budget wise. We already have 3 wingers on 5m+ a year, Hall is on 6.

We have only 14 plqyers under contract for next year with only about 10mil in cap space to sign 8 players. Unless we can trade Campbell, 1.1 goes to his buyout. And we then will need a new back up.

UFAS this off season
Brown, ConnorRW, LWNHLSigned30UFA
Carrick, SamC, RWNHLTrade32UFA
Foegele, WarrenLW, RWNHLTrade28UFA
Gagner, SamRW, CNHLSigned34UFA
Henrique, AdamLW, CNHLTrade34UFA
Janmark, MattiasLW, RWNHLSigned31UFA
Perry, CoreyRWNHLSigned39UFA

and then we 12 months from now where Leon and Bouchard need new contract.

So my question as to where Hall fits is not on the roster but with the cap

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
here is the thing. By fitting in I also mean budget wise. We already have 3 wingers on 5m+ a year, Hall is on 6.

We have only 14 plqyers under contract for next year with only about 10mil in cap space to sign 8 players. Unless we can trade Campbell, 1.1 goes to his buyout. And we then will need a new back up.

UFAS this off season
Brown, ConnorRW, LWNHLSigned30UFA
Carrick, SamC, RWNHLTrade32UFA
Foegele, WarrenLW, RWNHLTrade28UFA
Gagner, SamRW, CNHLSigned34UFA
Henrique, AdamLW, CNHLTrade34UFA
Janmark, MattiasLW, RWNHLSigned31UFA
Perry, CoreyRWNHLSigned39UFA

and then we 12 months from now where Leon and Bouchard need new contract.

So my question as to where Hall fits is not on the roster but with the cap
Given he missed basically the whole year with injury I don't think you trade for Hall unless there's retention. Letting Foegele walk and replacing him with Hall @ 3M for 1 year is best case scenario, but like I said it might still end up being too risky if Hall is gonna need several months to get back into game shape. He's also not a player I would expect to stay healthy for 4 rounds of playoffs even if he's 100% during the year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Give it a break. You seem to be hounding me any chance you get with Skinner. You might as well change your username to Evander Kane’s Ex. Can’t let things go and just enjoy the good times right now haha
I find it funny that you contradict yourself as much as you do rather then admit you were wrong.

Answer this for me and it will be over.

Skinner the fraud is young for a starting goalie and you crap all over him.

Another player around the same age. You pick up for saying he is young.

Did Skinner steal your woman ? Maybe you just hate him for no reason.

I made lot of mistakes on my takes on Oilers players as well but I admit I was wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong as we all have done it from time to time. You just never seem to answer a question when ask about it. I simply ask why you give a break to a young player and wouldn't to Skinner. You also forget I agreed with you when you said we need a good back up incase Skinner falters again.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if Brodie would want to come back out west. He wouldn't be the sexiest pickup, but at his age, he might take like a 2 year deal at $3-4M to play the right side on the second pairing.

A Demelo, Roy or Pesce would be nice, but they're going to want money and term. Brodie is kind of the forgotten option behind Tanev for veteran guys that might come in cheaper on shorter terms.
He was a healthy scratch for the Leafs, no thanks.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I find it funny that you contradict yourself as much as you do rather then admit you were wrong.

Answer this for me and it will be over.

Skinner the fraud is young for a starting goalie and you crap all over him.

Another player around the same age. You pick up for saying he is young.

Did Skinner steal your woman ? Maybe you just hate him for no reason.

I made lot of mistakes on my takes on Oilers players as well but I admit I was wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong as we all have done it from time to time. You just never seem to answer a question when ask about it. I simply ask why you give a break to a young player and wouldn't to Skinner. You also forget I agreed with you when you said we need a good back up incase Skinner falters again.
I went over this with you like 3 times in 3 different occasions. There's no point in repeating myself over and over. You're going to keep coming back over and over instead of letting it die. I just find it funny now you're like that pimple on my a** that won't go away.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
In:
Arvidsson
Barrie

Re-signed:
Henrique
Brown
Janmark

Out:
Ceci
Campbell
Foegele

Would be a good offseason

I think at this point the oilers aren't really in a position where they can out and make a ton of moves. They will probably just try and stick with what they have. I could see Arvidsson being their "big add" like Brown was last year. I don't see McLeod, Kane, Kulak, etc traded. Their just isn't enough time.

I'm really interested to see what some of our guys get from Holland. I don't see Brown or Janmark signing for only $1M. I think the Oilers have convinced themselves that with Rico that they are good enough to be the 3rd line (which means more money).

I keep hearing that Henrique probably goes back to Anaheim but honestly I don't see it if he has any desire to play in the playoffs again. The only way that would work is if he signed another 1 year deal which doesn't make sense at his age. Maybe he goes back to the Devils.

I still don't love that defence. Maybe the hope is that Holloway is a legit top 6 forward as the year goes on (or injury to either Kane or Arvidsson). Then use that LTIR money for a top 4 dman at the deadline.

1718981883370.png

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think at this point the oilers aren't really in a position where they can out and make a ton of moves. They will probably just try and stick with what they have. I could see Arvidsson being their "big add" like Brown was last year. I don't see McLeod, Kane, Kulak, etc traded. Their just isn't enough time.

I'm really interested to see what some of our guys get from Holland. I don't see Brown or Janmark signing for only $1M. I think the Oilers have convinced themselves that with Rico that they are good enough to be the 3rd line (which means more money).

I keep hearing that Henrique probably goes back to Anaheim but honestly I don't see it if he has any desire to play in the playoffs again. The only way that would work is if he signed another 1 year deal which doesn't make sense at his age. Maybe he goes back to the Devils.

I still don't love that defence. Maybe the hope is that Holloway is a legit top 6 forward as the year goes on (or injury to either Kane or Arvidsson). Then use that LTIR money for a top 4 dman at the deadline.

View attachment 885137
Just looking at your work, we are really tight on cap space even with guys taking discounts. I hoping we can LTIR Nurse and Kane. Give them the recovery they need with whatever they're dealing with. That would be huge for the Oilers

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad