Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Given he missed basically the whole year with injury I don't think you trade for Hall unless there's retention. Letting Foegele walk and replacing him with Hall @ 3M for 1 year is best case scenario, but like I said it might still end up being too risky if Hall is gonna need several months to get back into game shape. He's also not a player I would expect to stay healthy for 4 rounds of playoffs even if he's 100% during the year.
Double retention and I'd do it if the trade cost was low.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just looking at your work, we are really tight on cap space even with guys taking discounts. I hoping we can LTIR Nurse and Kane. Give them the recovery they need with whatever they're dealing with. That would be huge for the Oilers
Not really that tight.

I've mentioned this before, buyout Campbell and trade Ceci for a pick and the Oilers have over $17m to sign Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Broberg, Holloway then top 6 forward or Ceci upgrade, I'd let Vinny walk unless he signs cheap. This will be their last offseason for a while with some cap flexibility so they need to take advantage in this likely 2 year Cup window.

On another note, these ads are a giant pain in the ass. I have to keep Xing out of them just to type a reply. FFS HF Team

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
In:
Arvidsson
Barrie

Re-signed:
Henrique
Brown
Janmark

Out:
Ceci
Campbell
Foegele

Would be a good offseason
why would you want Barrie?

Not really that tight.

I've mentioned this before, buyout Campbell and trade Ceci for a pick and the Oilers have over $17m to sign Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Broberg, Holloway then top 6 forward or Ceci upgrade, I'd let Vinny walk unless he signs cheap. This will be their last offseason for a while with some cap flexibility so they need to take advantage in this likely 2 year Cup window.

On another note, these ads are a giant pain in the ass. I have to Xing out of them just to type a reply. FFS HF Team
Seravalli said VD's asking price is quite high as this maybe his only chance to hit a homerun

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not really that tight.

On another note, these ads are a giant pain in the ass. I have to keep Xing out of them just to type a reply. FFS HF Team
I thought the same too but seeing the lineup like what @McDoused did shows we don't have a lot of cap space with Arvidsson and Barrie added. Don't get me wrong, I think we would be an even better than with Arvidsson and Barrie

Reactions: McDoused

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I wo
Pretty sure Brodie is completely cooked. That’s the word out of Toronto anyways. He was pretty bad last year. A liability out there.

I would love Demelo or Roy or Pesce if we can afford. Doesn’t look like we’d be able to though.
I don't trust anything coming out of Toronto. They didn't think Hyman was worth 5M

The draft is a week from Friday. If the Oilers win we are talking 4 days till the draft. I am surprised we have not seen more deals.

The Oilers don't even have a GM as of July 1. I have to assume that Jackson will be taking on a lot of the major decisions.
I've said it a couple of times. Laurence Gilman and the Leafs parted ways a month before his contract is up. There is a Jackson connection.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
It seems more like they want to try and make Broberg a RD at this point.

Be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Flashbacks of when Tippett had Bouchard on his left side...shudder

He's good enough for the 3rd pairing if he comes cheap
No- he is terrible. He was already bad defensively before- now that he is older and slower- he is even worse- except now he doesnt have the offensive production to offset it

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I thought the same too but seeing the lineup like what @McDoused did shows we don't have a lot of cap space with Arvidsson and Barrie added. Don't get me wrong, I think we would be an even better than with Arvidsson and Barrie
Yeah but that was with the top 6 forward add and.... Barrie? Not much interest there.
I actually think the Arvidsson number is low, he'll get bigger offers than 4.5m on the open market I'd imagine. It might come down to Arvidsson OR Henrique. I'm thinking that the Oilers might have to go a little cheaper with a top 6 forward than Arvidsson. Debrusk perhaps?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I've said it a couple of times. Laurence Gilman and the Leafs parted ways a month before his contract is up. There is a Jackson connection.
He does have lots of experience though I must say despite being in TO his name has not been in the spotlight much.

I would hope that things are happening behind the scenes. Otherwise the next 10 days will be chaos with quite a few decisions to make regardless of the outcome on the ice.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He does have lots of experience though I must say despite being in TO his name has not been in the spotlight much.

I would hope that things are happening behind the scenes. Otherwise the next 10 days will be chaos with quite a few decisions to make regardless of the outcome on the ice.
He has been around a long time. He was also the co-architect of that Vancouver team that went to the finals. He is well respected around the league. I know Jonathon Willis wrote a piece about him a while ago. Apparently, one of his strengths is in contract negotiations and getting players to sign team friendly deals. I don't know why Toronto didn't use him in that capacity. I'm guessing Dubas' ego probably had a lot to do with it

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah but that was with the top 6 forward add and.... Barrie? Not much interest there.
I actually think the Arvidsson number is low, he'll get bigger offers than 4.5m on the open market I'd imagine. It might come down to Arvidsson OR Henrique. I'm thinking that the Oilers might have to go a little cheaper with a top 6 forward than Arvidsson. Debrusk perhaps?
Debrusk would be an ideal target(younger and healthier) but he's getting 6M. We need to find a way to bring back Henrique somehow. Either we add a top 6 forward and sign Henrique or add a 2nd pairing D and sign Herique. Not much space left.

Our biggest add will be at the deadline tho. Someone like Vatrano or Buch

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Debrusk would be an ideal target(younger and healthier) but he's getting 6M. We need to find a way to bring back Henrique somehow. Either we add a top 6 forward and sign Henrique or add a 2nd pairing D and sign Herique. Not much space left.

Our biggest add will be at the deadline tho. Someone like Vatrano or Buch

Debrusk might be the worst signing of the summer. He had the same production as a Warren Foegele and is going to get 5.5-6M. He's cashing in on his playoff performance this year.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Boston isn't giving him what he wants after being a good soldier for them so he will test free agency. Would be open to a 2-year from Edmonton if they can give him a good number (no idea if Edmonton can), but he is open to that, would love to play in Edmonton and then be a UFA again in 2 years.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Its less about puck movers with Nurse than deployment. Nurse was largely deployed in a more offensive set when he was with Barrie, now he is largely playing a defensive role due to Bouchard. You want Nurse to look like he did with Barrie, move him with Bouchard and take those tougher minutes away.

You play Barrie and Nurse and keep the deployment the same, you are adding .5 goals against per game. You cannot have 2 players with many defensive lapses playing against tough competition in their own zone all night.

Nurse does not need to be babysat. He needs to be played into his strengths and, but more importantly, away from his weaknesses. Instead they are doing exactly the opposite.
Deployment is a big part of it. The Oilers top line seriously tilts the ice and outscores opposition. Nurse rode that wave pre-Bouchard and Ekholm which elevated his offensive production; +/-; while limited time defending and specifically defending gaffes.

Away from that outscoring protection of tilted ice Nurse has shown to be vulnerable to defensive lapses with impulsive decision making and poor decisions. He can play a largely solid game only to unravel with brief moments of aggressive, poor decision making. He needs a highly structured partner who helps to mitigate the impulse to over pursue into bad ice; ideally a bigger body to support area defending; and two-way ability to help zone exit and better puck distribution to help transition to offence.

Finding a true top 4RD to complete the Oilers d-corp should be the priority this off-season when the market is most wide open with options. This team's offence is good enough to wait until trade deadline to find a support forward option which is always plentiful.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Further to the debrusk conversation the dude was caved in the playoffs statistically despite putting up 11 points in 13 games.

41.34 CF% (ranked 12th for boston forwards)
38.73 SF% (ranked 14th for boston forwards)
39.91 xGF% (ranked 14th for boston forwards)
38.04 SCF% (ranked 13th for boston forwards)
42.47 HDCF% (ranked 13th for boston forwards)

1718990709776.png

Reactions: Oilhawks

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Last 4 seasons games played:
Arvidsson: 211
Hall: 205

Since 2021 Arvidsson has missed games 10 times and Hall 9 times, 1 of Halls was Covid 19, and they each missed games due to “health protocols” which was probably also Covid related. Overall, Arvidsson has been more “injury prone” than Taylor Hall. Hall has missed more time due to basically missing this entire season on that knee injury. Hall at half speed is basically Victor Arvidsson anyway. If you put Hall back with either Draisaitl or Henrique, or both, you'd have lightning. Maybe the best 2nd line ever for this team. Also nuge is an option with him on the 3rd to spread it around.

Debrusk might be the worst signing of the summer. He had the same production as a Warren Foegele and is going to get 5.5-6M. He's cashing in on his playoff performance this year.

He played on a team with no skill centers. He and Pastrnak deserve a lot of extra credit for creating offence. We know he has interest in Edmonton so we’d be stupid not to kick tires, hoping for a discount.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I think at this point the oilers aren't really in a position where they can out and make a ton of moves. They will probably just try and stick with what they have. I could see Arvidsson being their "big add" like Brown was last year. I don't see McLeod, Kane, Kulak, etc traded. Their just isn't enough time.

I'm really interested to see what some of our guys get from Holland. I don't see Brown or Janmark signing for only $1M. I think the Oilers have convinced themselves that with Rico that they are good enough to be the 3rd line (which means more money).

I keep hearing that Henrique probably goes back to Anaheim but honestly I don't see it if he has any desire to play in the playoffs again. The only way that would work is if he signed another 1 year deal which doesn't make sense at his age. Maybe he goes back to the Devils.

I still don't love that defence. Maybe the hope is that Holloway is a legit top 6 forward as the year goes on (or injury to either Kane or Arvidsson). Then use that LTIR money for a top 4 dman at the deadline.

View attachment 885137
Love this as a template for what the team should look like next year, and I think all the numbers are super realistic. Not a huge fan of bringing Barrie back in for that role but that’s where you can tinker and take your pick of bottom pairing dmen in the 1-1.5m range. If they’re finding they’ve got a hole somewhere or something isn’t working you can look at moving out McLeod as a salary piece at the deadline similar to Barrie in the Ekholm deal.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Not really that tight.

Brave browser

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Brave browser

Indeed

As an added bonus, the only web blocker that consistently works on Youtube ads, including Brave mobile (which also lets you play youtube videos while the browser is minimized).

Brave team doing god's work in this current internet hellscape

Reactions: Faelko and belair

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hard to tell with Debrusk. He might end up becoming the next Hyman if he joins the Oilers.

The guy I really want the Oilers to trade for is Buchnevich tho(deadline move). He checks a lot of boxes for the Oilers. Buch and a re-signed Henrique, Perry, Brown and Janmark would solidify out fowards.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Indeed

As an added bonus, the only web blocker that consistently works on Youtube ads, including Brave mobile (which also lets you play youtube videos while the browser is minimized).

Brave team doing god's work in this current internet hellscape
I will have to try that too. My biggest beef is the damn page reloading while I have a full paragraph of a response written up and having to start all over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad