Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
most players dont come with a 8x8.5 contract.
Ones that play on your top line generally do though. And I assume that's where they've got him penciled in.

Washington is heading into a substantial rebuild and a lot of cap comes off of their books over the next two seasons.

I think priority #1 for that franchise is getting OV to the all time goals record. And PLD probably helps him do that while allowing him to play a more freewheeling offensive style game.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's like teams saw that the Oilers/Panthers series might go 7 and decided to just say f*** it and get the off season started anyway today lol.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It makes slightly more sense than Carolina offer sheeting Kotkaniemi. Which is to say not very much sense at all.
Free 26 year old top line forward (and a center) and you get to dump a goalie you don't want anymore. Pretty easy to sort out.

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
It's like teams saw that the Oilers/Panthers series might go 7 and decided to just say f*** it and get the off season started anyway today lol.
I think that teams were expecting Florida to finish us off, so they were likely planning these moves anyway.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He will be a top line forward there. I guarantee you he will.

That would be exactly that. Darnell Nurse is a healthy 29 year old top four defenseman. Another position player that is of limited supply.
That doesn’t make it a good trade. Forcing a overpaid player into a role because he’s all you can get to fill that role.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Regarding Nurse.

Even with a NTC, it's hard to say no to a trade if you are not wanted. I can also see teams wanting a potential No.1 D with play-off experience. Oilers would beg for such a player not to long ago.

He is absolutly tradeable.

Last edited:

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
What in the hell? A team took PLD's contract and a team took Goodrow's contract?
The Oilers need to take advantage of this stupidity and unload some dead weight. Ceci should be very moveable I'd think.
they both make some sense. Keumper is a bad contract as well, while it's not as long as PLD's, Kemper's play and ability to stay healthy is more likely to decline faster than PLD's play. PLD has the ability, at least physically, to be a good and effective player, the biggest question for him is mentally. I don't mind that deal, more risk for Washington for sure, but, there is a chance that he gets his game back at some point, only time will tell.

As for Goodrow, he can be an effective player, and yes he is overpaid by at least a million, but, obviously the Sharks know this player very well, and they have nothing but cap space, this contract will hurt them way less than the amount that getting a player like Goodrow will help them.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I wonder if a team like Utah could be tricked into taking Nurse.

They have a ton of cap space and no defensemen signed whatsoever. Acquiring a veteran (theoretical) Top 4 d man with some winning experience that probably desperately needs a change of scenery isn't a bad thing to acquire. Especially with the cost probably essentially being nothing to get him.

As far as retention goes, I wouldn't think twice about retaining $2M or less of his deal per year. Might even do 3, but would have to think a little more on that one.
You are letting your dislike for Nurse cloud your judgement. The fact you spam these threads with this topic helps prove that point.

Retaining two or three million on any contract of that length is extremely poor cap management especially for a perennial contender. That's many years of dead cap space.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
From what we've heard, McDavid and Nurse are pretty tight, I wonder if moving Nurse in trade would hurt the Oilers chances of resigning McDavid. Maybe McDavid would place winning over friendship, or maybe he believes, having Nurse on the team gives them the best chance of winning, or maybe he doesn't care either way. You know the Oilers ultimate goal, other than winning, and maybe even just as much of winning is to keep McDavid an Oiler for as long as they can. There is no doubt in my mind that the decisions they make are influenced by what will help them resign McDavid.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That doesn’t make it a good trade. Forcing a overpaid player into a role because he’s all you can get to fill that role.
For the organization it's exactly how to accomplish what you want to. How else would that team get a center of that age, that caliber to sign there for what's likely a period of minimal success?

Rebuilding teams don't generally spend to the cap ceiling. That contract has zero impact on what the team can do.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For the organization it's exactly how to accomplish what you want to. How else would that team get a center of that age, that caliber to sign there for what's likely a period of minimal success?

Rebuilding teams don't generally spend to the cap ceiling. That contract has zero impact on what the team can do.
He's signed until 2031 though. That contract is going to be on the books for quite awhile when they should be competing again unless they're in for a decade of darkness.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's signed until 2031 though. That contract is going to be on the books for quite awhile when they should be competing again unless they're in for a decade of darkness.
Very likely the situation. The next few years is around getting OV to the all time record. They're headed for a substantial rebuild.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
they both make some sense. Keumper is a bad contract as well, while it's not as long as PLD's, Kemper's play and ability to stay healthy is more likely to decline faster than PLD's play. PLD has the ability, at least physically, to be a good and effective player, the biggest question for him is mentally. I don't mind that deal, more risk for Washington for sure, but, there is a chance that he gets his game back at some point, only time will tell.

As for Goodrow, he can be an effective player, and yes he is overpaid by at least a million, but, obviously the Sharks know this player very well, and they have nothing but cap space, this contract will hurt them way less than the amount that getting a player like Goodrow will help them.
PLD is a bum, empty points. He has talent but no desire, like the Alexei Kovalev of this generation who I would have never given a long term contract like that to. We got a firsthand look at him in the 1st round, a complete ghost who had no interest in engaging in any physical contact. The only thing making his contract not as bad as the Nurse contract is the fact that he's younger, otherwise it's almost as bad.
You can't even compare the Kuemper contract to that monstrosity. $3.25m less over the next 3 years and $8.5m less the next 5. The Kings robbed the Caps blind. If PLD figures it out and becomes a force on the Caps top line then I'll look stupid but that's not the player he's been especially the last few years.

Goodrow is overpaid by a lot more than a million. I like Goodrow but he's a 31 year old who had 8 points last season and a good playoffs granted but still...
I also like Brown quite a bit but I'm not paying him anything more than $1.5m or so over 3 years. Just because you have cap space that doesn't mean you should be adding bad contracts just for the sake of adding them, that's bad business and makes you look like a sucker leaguewide.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad