Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inf123

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Woah Woah WOAH, what the hell happened today? I'm just catching up.

The Kings were able to dump the PLD contract on somebody else somehow, the Flames got a pretty decent haul for Markstrom. This is like a lite version of Hall/Larsson, Subban/Weber, Stamkos signing day and the Cup finals aren't even over yet. Gonna take a minute to process this.

I don't know, Hronek was pretty solid 1st pairing last season. He was pretty bad in the playoffs though so hope that continues but it's not a bad deal for him.

Oh wait, I thought the Flames were getting the 2024 Devils 1st, just saw that it was the 2025 1st that almost certainly won't be as good since the Devils will likely bounce back next season. Good Good
and they retained 30% of his salary for next 2 years, don't think that was a good deal at all for flames.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
3 teams in a row now caught up with the mystique of #3 OA pick PLD. The pedigree too good to resist. Just blocking out all the visible and constant slacking butt he does on the ice. He will change for us.

Haha, I might have to watch some Caps games if PLD and OV are on the same line. OV stationary on the blue line yelling at PLD for not doing more to get the puck in the zone for him.

PLD is the Darnell Nurse of forwards, but doesn't get the credit for it (not in a good way) the same way.

6'4 d-man with a mean streak that can skate like the wind, play heavy minutes and has a heavy wrist shot off the rush - sounds pretty good doesn't it?

It's the same thing with PLD, but people refuse to acknowledge that he actually blows despite his physical package. With Nurse the fact that he stinks is his calling card despite the on paper strength of his skills package.

Reactions: oobga and Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What in the hell? A team took PLD's contract and a team took Goodrow's contract?
The Oilers need to take advantage of this stupidity and unload some dead weight. Ceci should be very moveable I'd think.
I get SJ taking a chance on the guy, but make New York pay. Should've been able to get some sort of late pick out of a trade

And if some other moronic GM would've taken him off of waivers then so be it. Just throw 3mil on a one year deal at some UFA this year to fill that void.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
June 19 2024:

GMs taking turns being dumbasses by the hour
Seriously, I can't even comprehend what happened today. A team took the full PLD contract by giving up a far less bad contract, a team took Goodrow's full contract as well, Flames couldn't even get a 2024 1st for Markstrom. Dumb, Dumber and Dumberer.

I think it's kind of stupid that teams are allowed to make these deals while the Oilers and Panthers are frozen from making trades. Seems like an unfair advantage to me.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What in the hell? A team took PLD's contract and a team took Goodrow's contract?
The Oilers need to take advantage of this stupidity and unload some dead weight. Ceci should be very moveable I'd think.
GMs are really stupid or they're just teaming up

Reactions: McHelpus

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I wonder if a team like Utah could be tricked into taking Nurse.

They have a ton of cap space and no defensemen signed whatsoever. Acquiring a veteran (theoretical) Top 4 d man with some winning experience that probably desperately needs a change of scenery isn't a bad thing to acquire. Especially with the cost probably essentially being nothing to get him.

As far as retention goes, I wouldn't think twice about retaining $2M or less of his deal per year. Might even do 3, but would have to think a little more on that one.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
PLD is the Darnell Nurse of forwards, but doesn't get the credit for it (not in a good way) the same way.

6'4 d-man with a mean streak that can skate like the wind, play heavy minutes and has a heavy wrist shot off the rush - sounds pretty good doesn't it?

It's the same thing with PLD, but people refuse to acknowledge that he actually blows despite his physical package. With Nurse the fact that he stinks is his calling card despite the on paper strength of his skills package.

I did think the same talking about pedigree haha. 100% some GMs are probably very intrigued by Nurse the same way as PLD keeps getting love. If there is some will with the next GM to get that 9.25M off the books, 3 teams wanting PLD no matter what he does, just because of his pedigree and wishful thinking, definitely is a sign it could be possible.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I did think the same talking about pedigree haha. 100% some GMs are probably very intrigued by Nurse the same way as PLD keeps getting love. If there is some will with the next GM to get that 9.25M off the books, 3 teams wanting PLD no matter what he does, just because of his pedigree and wishful thinking, definitely is a sign it could be possible.

100%

I could envision being a fly on the wall in one of the dumber team meeting rooms. "6'4, physical beast, lots of reach, can score points, skates like the wind - had some hiccups in the playoffs, but I think you take him out of that system and get him here we can get his game in the right direction and make him a star."

Doesn't mean a deal wouldn't be pain free in any way, but I think there could be a path especially with the cap going up. You retain $2M and a team is going to get Nurse for $7.25 x 6. That's probably a palatable number for some teams.

Somehow dealing Nurse would be a dream. Use the cap space on a legit top 4 right shot D and improve drastically immediately.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - Legit Top 4
Kulak - Desharnais/Ceci/Other

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
and they retained 30% of his salary for next 2 years, don't think that was a good deal at all for flames.
It's a fine deal. It's when you look at the bigger picture that you see they're essentially just replacing the pick they wasted dumping Monahan's contact on Montreal.

Calgary fans are in a dark period that started with the Summer of Treliving.

Reactions: Sanchez

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Woah Woah WOAH, what the hell happened today? I'm just catching up.

The Kings were able to dump the PLD contract on somebody else somehow, the Flames got a pretty decent haul for Markstrom. This is like a lite version of Hall/Larsson, Subban/Weber, Stamkos signing day and the Cup finals aren't even over yet. Gonna take a minute to process this.

I don't know, Hronek was pretty solid 1st pairing last season. He was pretty bad in the playoffs though so hope that continues but it's not a bad deal for him.

Oh wait, I thought the Flames were getting the 2024 Devils 1st, just saw that it was the 2025 1st that almost certainly won't be as good since the Devils will likely bounce back next season. Good Good
And top 10 protected in 2025.

Great point, forgot they had to retain too.

Reactions: McDoused

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It's a fine deal. It's when you look at the bigger picture that you see they're essentially just replacing the pick they wasted dumping Monahan's contact on Montreal.

Calgary fans are in a dark period that started with the Summer of Treliving.

No it started with Oilers embarrassing them in 5 games in the WCSF. With Markstrom now gone the destruction of flames is complete. I kinda feel bad for ….. nah I just can’t do it **** the flames :laugh:

It's the owner Murray who is the piece of work, he won't let them rebuild proper because he knows the building will be empty when they r a lottery team....
The Flames could never survive a scorched earth rebuild the Oilers endured twice. Honestly the team IMO would fold and move.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

That’s an insult to Nurse. He actually has heart and puts in a lot of effort when he’s playing despite the mistakes.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you want a player, get him for free.

Chicago did it last year with Hall and Foligno. San Jose just did it with Goodrow. Rebuilding teams don't have much to offer guys that have the freedom to sign anywhere.
most players dont come with a 8x8.5 contract.

I dont know if I agree with this.

Nurse atleast plays hard, even though he makes the wrong play 80% of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad