Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So you don’t feel the same way about Oleksiak signing in Seattle as you do Hall signing in Boston. So really this isn’t about Holland failing to get a player who would have made the team better. It’s good that you are able to admit that this isn’t really about Holland failing, and that it’s more that you feel that Holland personally let you down considering how emotionally invested you were in Hall signing here if he was to become a UFA. I hope eventually you’re able to see that Hall was never going to sign here last off-season, that he wasn’t going to accept a trade here at the deadline and that he had zero intention of signing here as he never even made it to become a UFA this off-season.

it’s kind of like that one girl you went on a date with in high school and then she moved away, got married and lived a super happy life. Yet you’re here watching that all unfold on her Instagram and understandably upset that she isn’t living that life with you. But you have to realize that’s out of your control now.

Also you’re wrong. I have always been a huge Taylor Hall fan. Still have two of his jerseys hanging in my closet. I’m just ok that he doesn’t want to play here, and I don’t need someone to blame for it.
We never had a chance to make a pitch to Oleksiak. We had a chance to make a pitch to Hall. They are not comparable situations. By most accounts including from credible media guys, Hall to Edmonton was realistic. The GM then either closes the deal or misses out. Your saying there was no chance based on your own personal speculation and acting as if you know that as fact. I will admit on my end that its speculation that he would consider Edmonton, but it was at least based reports by guys like Johnston and Gazzola. At the end of the day we will never know those behind the scenes things and things that you may only know if you read Hall's mind. But we do know this, Holland tried and failed to attain the LW we sorely needed and Boston's GM didn't.

Don't speculate on my emotional investment either. I chock it up as a miss by Holland and I await to see his next moves. You choose to excuse this as a nothing-burger and defend Holland, fine by me, you go and do that, I won't flip my lid over that notion but I'll go ahead and disagree all the same.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I think they got hosed on this one, but it's not like they need the cap space.

So now they have 2 stay at home D that are signed long term. Neither being puck movers mind you but I’m sure they’ll find some.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
No. It's a mix. If Barrie is signed long term then you might as well trade Bouchard cause you aren't going to use him to his strengths

There is also the fact that if you resign Barrie 5/6 of our defenders are all offensive d with the best "defender" maybe being Bear who isn't even that good. So you are then pretty much stuck trading Bear or Bouchard. And is that worth it to sign Barrie for term?

Absolutely yes it is. Barrie is the player Bouchard's mom thinks he is, and I like Bear but he isn't even in the same universe.

If Evan is as good as his fans think he will force the issue whether Tyson Barrie is here or not. If it turns out he isn't, I at least will be damn glad we had a backup plan.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
See I agree but a lot think Bear and Bouchard are untouchable and Barrie is the end

Ideally we move Bear for a forward and grab a legit top pairing guy like Hamilton and sign like Savard or someone.
I see the probability of Bear being dealt being very slim due to the optics of it with how things played out after the season ended. I think having him on the roster is pretty huge for the Indigenous communities in the West and the Oilers are well aware of it. I think it’s really cool to have him on the Oilers and how huge his following is. Plus I think there’s still a really good 2nd pair Dman there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Believe it or not.

This is not NHL 21, you can't hold players at gunpoint and force them to sign the contract you've presented them with.

Judging by the last 2 days of your posts, you don't understand that.
No you can't. And I never asked Holland to. I expect him to make a pitch and try to sign a player we need. He did that, and at the end of the day he failed whereas Boston's GM succeeded. One GM wins, the other loses. It's going up on my running talley of his performance as a GM just like the Pulju resigning and Barrie signing last year went on the talley as positives for him.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It really has the feel of regret in short order. So surprised they ended up at those numbers.

They just signed two shut down guys to retirement contracts. Could be regrettable as early as two seasons from now, IMO

I would have signed one, not both

Reactions: North

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So as much as there is strong distain for Barrie as a player, he's s top-4 NHL defenseman, it makes sense after losing one, the Oilers would explore an extension with him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I see the probability of Bear being dealt being very slim due to the optics of it with how things played out after the season ended. I think having him on the roster is pretty huge for the Indigenous communities in the West and the Oilers are well aware of it. I think it’s really cool to have him on the Oilers and how huge his following is. Plus I think there’s still a really good 2nd pair Dman there.
Then If Barries signed Bouchard is gone

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

This is my issue with Bear/Barrie/Bouchard

Larsson did a great job shutting down those left shot Jets forwards in the playoffs :sarcasm:

I get what he’s saying but this isn’t a video game. Honestly I’d rather have a shut down on both sides so you can change it up according to matchups. Some of the best snipers are RW…

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

This is my issue with Bear/Barrie/Bouchard

Some of the best pairings in the league have the shutdown guy on the left and the puck mover on the right though? See: Slavin-Hamilton, Pelech-Pulock etc. Handedness is overrated, player quality is what matters, if you have lots of puck movers on the right side then load the left side up with defensive studs. Grabbing someone like Jake McCabe would do wonders for us.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No you can't. And I never asked Holland to. I expect him to make a pitch and try to sign a player we need. He did that, and at the end of the day he failed whereas Boston's GM succeeded. One GM wins, the other loses. It's going up on my running talley of his performance as a GM just like the Pulju resigning and Barrie signing last year went on the talley as positives for him.
Is Oleksiak signing with Seattle on that list as well? What about other players who didn’t want to play here? Or is Hall the only player who didn’t want to play here that makes the list because of your personal and huge emotional investment?

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Larsson did a great job shutting down those left shot Jets forwards in the playoffs :sarcasm:

I get what he’s saying but this isn’t a video game. Honestly I’d rather have a shut down on both sides so you can change it up according to matchups. Some of the best snipers are RW…
Isn't the right side shutdown thing something that Tampa did. Lots of good teams have one strong left guy and 2 strong right guys

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The issue is, if you have Nurse, Keith, Barrie, Bear and Bouchard...outside of Nurse...who is actually good at defending?

Exactly lol. Barrie is a tirefire defensively, and we just lost our best defensively sound d man in Larsson. That to me is worrisome. Then you include him overshadowing Bouchard once again most likely. I'm not a fan of Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad