Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Hyman?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

tenor.gif

How dare we sign the d man who lead the league in points last year and did more good than he did harm. Has this bored gone completely mental????

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The response to the Larsson signing is literally the opposite of knee-jerk. It was foreseeable, it was projected and that projection was validated. You can suggest that he was offered the same thing, suggest any kind of reasoning for why he signed in Seattle, but the fact of the matter is that you don't know either.

Your sunny outlook doesn't change the fact that the Oilers lost out on a player they are going to probably not going to replace effectively in the short-term. And the exact reasons of which, you don't have access to. You're also making an assumption.

The fact of the matter is that as it stands the Oilers are currently out one Tyson Barrie and one Adam Larsson. They're up one 38-year old Duncan Keith. Tick tock.
Agreed. No one will know one way or the other in terms of a players' wants and preferences. Why they chose this place or that place. It's ALL speculation on that front. But here's the thing, we don't need to know in order to assess Holland's effectiveness as a GM. We need simply to look at the team he is building. So far he's built a team without a 4RHD signed to a reasonable contract. So far he's built a team that does not improve in any way on the scoring depth or gaping holes at Left Wing. I say it's a bad job thus far, come at me for my radical take.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
You're right. The Justin Schultz method proved to be far more effective.

The Cale Makar method proved effective. See how that works?

The Oilers run a 4-forward, 1-d powerplay. Nurse plays on the PP. And then what? Are you going to pay Barrie 5M, who is purely an offensive d-man, to sit on the bench on the powerplay? Either you do that, which is a terrible idea, or Bouchard doesn't play on the powerplay.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How dare we sign the d man who lead the league in points last year and did more good than he did harm. Has this bored gone completely mental????
The issue is, if you have Nurse, Keith, Barrie, Bear and Bouchard...outside of Nurse...who is actually good at defending?

Reactions: McAsuno

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Did Holland kill your puppy or something? We didn’t have the cap last season and told him to wait a year just like Boston did. He chose Boston not KH’s fault get over it.
I actually defended Holland last year and praised his previous moves. So no, it's not a personal vendetta against Holland. I'm making an assessment of the GM, the same exact assessment could have been made about Chia, Lowe, MacT, Tambo. You either build a good team and get rightfully praised for it. Or you don't and should be criticized for it.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
All I’m saying simply is sign good players, build a team = good job. The opposite of doing that is not. It’s a simple argument, accept it or not but it really does boil down to that. I only say it in reply to people that thinks it’s such an outrageous idea. Here’s a thought, think something differently than me and then you don’t need to flip your lid at such a radical notion.

4O9H.gif

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Not any one that would make an ounce of sense.

but if you want to invent one so that you can project anger about an unrelated event no one can stop you.

Makes sense as much sense as a guy who was reportedly a lock to sign suddenly wanting a change of scenery.

But you can pretend Holland is playing 4d chess, no one will stop you.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

We've literally been looking for someone like Barrie since Sheldon freaking Souray. I honestly think its insane the Oilers ever entertained the idea of letting him go.

I'm assuming most of the Barrie haters just resent him for "holding back" their golden boy Evan Bouchard.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hall came in and did exactly what they expected him to do. They did not expect him to change the entire fortunes of a team and win them a Cup, it takes a team to do that. It's pointless to compare scouting reports on Hall at this point, I'm a fan of the player and you are not, its all irrelevant cause we won't know how good he'll be during this contract until it happens.

And we knew he chose Boston, it wasn't some random idea put in his head. Boston made a pitch in the off-season, so did the Oilers. The choosing of Boston didn't just happen out of thin air.

Your gonna wait and see if I criticize Holland for all moves no matter what? Go ahead, I'll praise him if he does a good job like how I praised him for his handling of the Pulju situation, and like how I praised him for filling a huge need for us last year in signing Barrie. Good GM moves deserve praise, the opposite of those moves deserves criticism.

So you don’t feel the same way about Oleksiak signing in Seattle as you do Hall signing in Boston. So really this isn’t about Holland failing to get a player who would have made the team better. It’s good that you are able to admit that this isn’t really about Holland failing, and that it’s more that you feel that Holland personally let you down considering how emotionally invested you were in Hall signing here if he was to become a UFA. I hope eventually you’re able to see that Hall was never going to sign here last off-season, that he wasn’t going to accept a trade here at the deadline and that he had zero intention of signing here as he never even made it to become a UFA this off-season.

it’s kind of like that one girl you went on a date with in high school and then she moved away, got married and lived a super happy life. Yet you’re here watching that all unfold on her Instagram and understandably upset that she isn’t living that life with you. But you have to realize that’s out of your control now.

Also you’re wrong. I have always been a huge Taylor Hall fan. Still have two of his jerseys hanging in my closet. I’m just ok that he doesn’t want to play here, and I don’t need someone to blame for it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's almost as though major life decisions made by adults with full agency, full control over their faculties, and multiple attractive options to consider will actually take into consideration the things that are most meaningful to them and make a decision based on their own wants and needs. I, too, am shocked and appalled that Holland was unable to literally hypnotize Hall and convince him that what was best for the Oilers was also best for him. I mean, it's like he's a real boy with his own free will or something...
Yes, it's a personal decision with lots of factors to take into account. And you can use that rationalization and excuse Holland's inability to secure a great player at a great cap and term. I'm calling it like it is, it's a failure to address a need on this team and a missed signing. It's exactly what it is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We've literally been looking for someone like Barrie since Sheldon freaking Souray. I honestly think its insane the Oilers ever entertained the idea of letting him go.

I'm assuming most of the Barrie haters just resent him for "holding back" their golden boy Evan Bouchard.
I hate the fact we currently don’t have any defensemen who can play actual defense.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

No reason why Barrie can’t be resigned and then dealt in a couple years when/if Bouch is ready to step into prime time.

Reactions: oXo Cube

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

No. It's a mix. If Barrie is signed long term then you might as well trade Bouchard cause you aren't going to use him to his strengths

There is also the fact that if you resign Barrie 5/6 of our defenders are all offensive d with the best "defender" maybe being Bear who isn't even that good. So you are then pretty much stuck trading Bear or Bouchard. And is that worth it to sign Barrie for term?

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes, it's a personal decision with lots of factors to take into account. And you can use that rationalization and excuse Holland's inability to secure a great player at a great cap and term. I'm calling it like it is, it's a failure to address a need on this team and a missed signing. It's exactly what it is.
Believe it or not.

This is not NHL 21, you can't hold players at gunpoint and force them to sign the contract you've presented them with.

Judging by the last 2 days of your posts, you don't understand that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
No reason why Barrie can’t be resigned and then dealt in a couple years when/if Bouch is ready to step into prime time.
But who defends next year?
You don't win much with 5/6 of your defenders being puck moving offensive d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad