Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
But doesn’t that mean 4th rd is worse less as whoever would have picked there now doesn’t get their guy but picks from a pool with at least 1 guy less.

It does but the pool is so diluted by that point it think it would be negligible. Not too many fair ways to figure this out. We are in uncharted waters and just trying to figure out what’s fair for everyone is going to be tough. At least this way teams don’t lose that pick that they lost with a player they couldn’t use and teams get that compensation for the player they lost. There would obviously need to be rules in certain situations. Boston with Kase and Ritchie, both under team control may need to be addressed differently, same as Skjei who’s under contract, would not apply to the above idea.
It’s going to be tough finding a happy medium.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It does but the pool is so diluted by that point it think it would be negligible. Not too many fair ways to figure this out. We are in uncharted waters and just trying to figure out what’s fair for everyone is going to be tough. At least this way teams don’t lose that pick and teams get that compensation for the player they lost. There would obviously need to be rules in certain situations. Boston with Kase and Ritchie, both under team control may need to be addressed differently, same as Skjei who’s under contract, would not apply to the above idea.
It’s going to be tough finding a happy medium.
Yes wasn’t really talking bout later rounds was I’m using us as metaphor for what happens with affect of early rounds. Prefer no compensation for all teams.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Yes wasn’t really talking bout later rounds was I’m using us as metaphor for what happens with affect of early rounds. Prefer no compensation for all teams.

I with you, life is tough and shit happens. We are all in this together, but sure as shit, I’m sure some GMs are going to bitch about this to the league about lost picks and lost revenue. Wait till the cap drops and the big money making teams like Boston, TBay and Toronto need to give up players
I’m just trying to think of ways to shake things up and find a happy medium

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I with you, life is tough and shit happens. We are all in this together, but sure as shit, I’m sure some GMs are going to bitch about this to the league about lost picks and lost revenue. Wait till the cap drops and the big money making teams like Boston, TBay and Toronto need to give up players
I’m just trying to think of ways to shake things up and find a happy medium
Wonder if they break that up somehow. Otherwise there are fewer than 50% league who gave up a meaningful pick. There is also how will draft be done. With cap going down there will be a lot of alliances formed and betrayals it will be like big brother.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
seems like a bunch of NCAA prospects are starting to make their decision whether to stay in school or sign.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
seems like a bunch of NCAA prospects are starting to make their decision whether to stay in school or sign.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder if the economic distress will have an impact. Players whose families are under financial stress would benefit from the 92k signing bonus and forego another year of college to start earning a paycheck next year. Conversely, NHL franchise owners that are struggling might defer signing to avoid paying out signing bonuses.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah but to no fault of their own. Anyone that traded a non-UFA player for a conditional pick based on playoffs is getting nothing. Bettman has already stated the league is working on something. Easy to say when you gave up nothing as a fan base or traded no one of value. Far different scenario for fans of teams that did and got a few games out of their guy or won't see the conditional pick that was basically guaranteed from playoffs teams.

They don't need to actually have PO to say who would have qualified. Conditional picks are based on qualifying. The occasional one that had a qualifier based on winning the cup won't be fulfilled - but the odds were pretty long to begin with.

Do we want to send DeMelo and Eakin back and get our mid rd picks back? I guess we would, especially if we sign those players anyway. But with all the disruption to the game that is happening I can't get too excited about it.

I would care more if we had given up a 1st - but I would never have agreed with giving up that 1st to begin with. If a team gives up its 1st, the odds are that they get nothing out of it. As it happens, that is exactly what they get now.

How are the fans of the teams that received those 1sts going to feel about giving them back? How do SJS fans feel about their 1st?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They don't need to actually have PO to say who would have qualified. Conditional picks are based on qualifying. The occasional one that had a qualifier based on winning the cup won't be fulfilled - but the odds were pretty long to begin with.

Do we want to send DeMelo and Eakin back and get our mid rd picks back? I guess we would, especially if we sign those players anyway. But with all the disruption to the game that is happening I can't get too excited about it.

I would care more if we had given up a 1st - but I would never have agreed with giving up that 1st to begin with. If a team gives up its 1st, the odds are that they get nothing out of it. As it happens, that is exactly what they get now.

How are the fans of the teams that received those 1sts going to feel about giving them back? How do SJS fans feel about their 1st?

Well SJS only gave up their first to sign Karlsson. Sure they lost some play from him this year but he is still under contract long term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well SJS only gave up their first to sign Karlsson. Sure they lost some play from him this year but he is still under contract long term.

Yes, but given the result, I expect they would like that pick back. Bit of a change in subject, but related.

In the end, I think you can't turn back the clock. Jets fans could convince themselves that the team had turned a corner. With our strong goaltending, we would have won the Cup this year. Now we (maybe) won't get the chance.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, but given the result, I expect they would like that pick back. Bit of a change in subject, but related.

In the end, I think you can't turn back the clock. Jets fans could convince themselves that the team had turned a corner. With our strong goaltending, we would have won the Cup this year. Now we (maybe) won't get the chance.

I'd day it's pretty likely we wont get the chance. The NHL is done this year the sooner they realize that the better. Giving false hope to people only makes things worse.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd day it's pretty likely we wont get the chance. The NHL is done this year the sooner they realize that the better. Giving false hope to people only makes things worse.

I think there is a possibility they will insist on awarding the Cup this year. They could hold some kind of a PO in Sept. But I think even that is a faint hope. When this contagion comes under control, we are not getting back to normal overnight.

Reactions: Duke749

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think there is a possibility they will insist on awarding the Cup this year. They could hold some kind of a PO in Sept. But I think even that is a faint hope. When this contagion comes under control, we are not getting back to normal overnight.

Yeah it's highly unlikely. I know they feel the need to award the Cup for some sort of continuity reason. The NHL relies so heavily on gate money that I have no doubt many teams would go even further into the hole after a couple playoffs games without gate and concessions.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Is there something about Ehler’s face that makes ppl want to slash him? After all no one else takes abuse the way he does. Drai giving him a hard time for no reason last night and nothing called.

Reading through some older posts and stated laughing at this. I had a current NHL player tell me that he ”can’t stand playing against that f@#$kin Ehlers...this way, that way, change of direction - makes me want to take my stick to his head!” :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Reading through some older posts and stated laughing at this. I had a current NHL player tell me that he ”can’t stand playing against that f@#$kin Ehlers...this way, that way, change of direction - makes me want to take my stick to his head!” :laugh:

I think its why he draws so many penalties. He is just really tough to play against.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
If the cap stays the same or goes down I think the jets are in one of the best positions in the NHL.

We might be one of the only teams that could add major a ufa without gutting another part of the roster. One of the only teams that can improve substantially from this year.

So many teams will have to shed players for less then they want and the jets will have plenty of space to capitalize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad