Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the jets were qualified for the playoffs, would we pay a 3rd for Eakins or would it be a 4th as there were no playoff games actually played?
The Jets didn't qualify.
The only way they can do it is ppg and they didn't get in...a good year to miss the playoffs.

A lot of teams gave up 1st round picks and more and they won't play another game this season.

Reactions: Flair Hay

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The Jets didn't qualify.
The only way they can do it is ppg and they didn't get in...a good year to miss the playoffs.

A lot of teams gave up 1st round picks and more and they won't play another game this season.
This is the problem. With teams not having equal number of games played, it makes going straight into a playoffs scenario difficult.
I think, if they don’t cancel this season completely, they should play out enough games to get each team to 72... roughly 2-5 games per team. Then play out the playoffs as usual except have each round a best of 5 instead of 7.
Then next season, cancel a few things like the all star break, and maybe a classic or 2, and go with an extended season to get the 82 games in plus playoffs.... likely ending in June... maybe early July.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Jets didn't qualify.

Considering we're talking .1%, there should be a one game play in

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets didn't qualify.

Yeah the league still has to figure out what happens to teams that gave up first rounders for rentals. Or teams that gave up players for conditional picks based on playoffs.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah the league still has to figure out what happens to teams that gave up first rounders for rentals. Or teams that gave up players for conditional picks based on playoffs.
I can't see the NHL reversing conditions for rental trades.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Absolutely nothing. The league won’t do a thing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets didn't qualify.

That is the logical way to do it - but it certainly isn't the only way they could do it. They have for years resisted listing the standings like that, or in some other way adjusted for games played. They have steadfastly refused. Points is points. I wouldn't put it past them to use the official standings as they are today, Jets in WC1. Or they could go with a 24 team PO. I have no idea why they would do that, but they might.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is the problem. With teams not having equal number of games played, it makes going straight into a playoffs scenario difficult.
I think, if they don’t cancel this season completely, they should play out enough games to get each team to 72... roughly 2-5 games per team. Then play out the playoffs as usual except have each round a best of 5 instead of 7.
Then next season, cancel a few things like the all star break, and maybe a classic or 2, and go with an extended season to get the 82 games in plus playoffs.... likely ending in June... maybe early July.

Getting to 72 games would require 1-4 games.

I think just using pts per game played is the simplest way to go about it, especially considering the time constraints they will be under. That has the disadvantage of going into PO with teams who haven't played in months. Nothing is perfect.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't see any issue there. They made deals that haven't worked out for them. So what?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I can't see the NHL reversing conditions for rental trades.

They had Bettman on TSN a few days ago and he said that they will cross that bridge when they get there. None of the teams trading for soon to be UFA's really got what they paid for. Any teams that traded for conditional picks based on playoffs aren't getting those picks now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Absolutely nothing. The league won’t do a thing.

Bettman has already said that the league is looking for a way to appease everyone but it will be tough. Like I said above none of the teams that traded for conditional picks will get them and all of the teams that traded for UFA's basically got nothing out of it.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't see any issue there. They made deals that haven't worked out for them. So what?

Yeah but to no fault of their own. Anyone that traded a non-UFA player for a conditional pick based on playoffs is getting nothing. Bettman has already stated the league is working on something. Easy to say when you gave up nothing as a fan base or traded no one of value. Far different scenario for fans of teams that did and got a few games out of their guy or won't see the conditional pick that was basically guaranteed from playoffs teams.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bettman is asking for August dates?
Seriously?
Is he Trump's twin or something?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah but to no fault of their own. Anyone that traded a non-UFA player for a conditional pick based on playoffs is getting nothing. Bettman has already stated the league is working on something. Easy to say when you gave up nothing as a fan base or traded no one of value. Far different scenario for fans of teams that did and got a few games out of their guy or won't see the conditional pick that was basically guaranteed from playoffs teams.
So do we have to give back Demelo and get our 4th back? Eakins back to Vegas for our 3rd?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
DeMelo was for a 3rd in 2020 and Eakin was for a 4th in 2021 (upgrade to 3rd if Eakin re-signs with Jets or they make the playoffs).
Then sign them as free agents!!!!!!!!!!
Works for me...

I would rather have had a few rounds of playoffs. The team was really starting to click and Helly was being Helly. We were on a roll and really gaining some momentum. Who knows what could have happened

If we can resign Demelo I call it a wash. Eakins ain’t resigning here. That’s a tougher one but life sucks sometimes. If we lose the pick for nothing then shit happens.

There didn’t seem to be as many true “rentals” at the TDL this year. A lot were still under contract (Skjei, Case for example).
A simple fix would be to add picks to each round to compensate to teams that gave up picks for pure rentals, basically more players getting drafted than normal. Winnipeg gets their third back this year (Demelo trade) but picks after Ottawa picks and so on and so on.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I would rather have had a few rounds of playoffs. The team was really starting to click and Helly was being Helly. We were on a roll and really gaining some momentum. Who knows what could have happened

If we can resign Demelo I call it a wash. Eakins ain’t resigning here. That’s a tougher one but life sucks sometimes. If we lose the pick for nothing then shit happens.

There didn’t seem to be as many true “rentals” at the TDL this year. A lot were still under contract (Skjei, Case for example).
A simple fix would be to add picks to each round to compensate to teams that gave up picks for pure rentals.
I’m fine with o compensation but if everyone is I’m fine with getting more picks. Also how is that fair to team who traded guys?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I’m fine with o compensation but if everyone is I’m fine with getting more picks. Also how is that fair to team who traded guys?

For example, Ottawa got our third this year and say falls at 3 rd round, 12th pick. They get that one, we get our third back and pick immediately afterward. So 32 picks that round. Ottawa is happy and Winnipeg is happy. It would also work with all other true UFA rentals. Your essentially adding more draft picks to the draft. Might actually be the fairest the more I think of it

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
No, we give up a 4th if Eakin doesn't re-sign, and a 3rd if he does.

I highly doubt any trade deadline trades will be altered in any meaningful way.

I just thought of expanding the draft for picks lost for UFAs.
Example, Peg 3rd- DeMelo
Ottawa picks with our 3rd, we pick immediately after. 3rd round is 32 pick round.
It would work with all UFAs, it just expands the draft a few picks and no one loses picks.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
For example, Ottawa got our third this year and say falls at 3 rd round, 12th pick. They get that one, we get our third back and pick immediately afterward. So 32 picks that round. Ottawa is happy and Winnipeg is happy. It would also work with all other true UFA rentals. Your essentially adding more draft picks to the draft. Might actually be the fairest the more I think of it
But doesn’t that mean 4th rd is worse less as whoever would have picked there now doesn’t get their guy but picks from a pool with at least 1 guy less.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad