Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
yeah, i am not sure why chicago is looking to deal Strome so soon, unless they think Dach is capable of top 6 C duties next year, which I guess is possible, but he will still be 19-20. Strome is not exactly a burner, but as a 2C b/w Ehlers & Laine, we've seen a high iq playmaker thrive (Stastny). I'd move 1 of Samberg or Heinola if CHI need D, or Niku+.
Cap space. If the cap comes in at 81.5M the Hawks will be in a real squeeze. They'll have around 10M in cap space with over 4M in potential bonuses next year.

Kubalik is an RFA, coming off a breakout 30 goal season. He'll command a minimum of 4M

They have zero goalies signed for next season, so they either have to re-sign Crawford or find another starting goalie. I can't see how they fill their goalie situation for less than 4M.

Now, how do they re-sign Strome or fend off an offer sheet?

They could move Saad or decide not to retain Kubalik, but something's got to give for them to deal with their cap crunch.

Having Dach as a potential replacement for Strome likely makes him an option for trade to get a nice trade return and manage their cap situation.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Look at all the amazing players drafted after Dylan Strome in 2015, what a nightmare for Phoenix. I guess they might have thought they had their franchise center but its a cautionary tale of not drafting for the position. To be clear he wasn't a reach at #3 but man is he a dud compared to so many other people drafted after him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Look at all the amazing players drafted after Dylan Strome in 2015, what a nightmare for Phoenix. I guess they might have thought they had their franchise center but its a cautionary tale of not drafting for the position. To be clear he wasn't a reach at #3 but man is he a dud compared to so many other people drafted after him.

Was pacing 70 points the year before last. He starts hitting those numbers regularly moving forward and he isn't so much of a dud even compared to the rest of the class.

He most certainly isn't exactly my cup of tea as a player but he would definitely fill that playmaking top 6 hole here.

Reactions: Hunter368 and ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Was pacing 70 points the year before last. He starts hitting those numbers regularly moving forward and he isn't so much of a dud even compared to the rest of the class.

He most certainly isn't exactly my cup of tea as a player but he would definitely fill that playmaking top 6 hole here.
Reminds me a bit of Kevin Hayes.

I think he might be a bit of a late bloomer, taking some time to figure out how to translate his skillset to the faster pace of the NHL.

Reactions: surixon

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Demelo is a gem of a kid. Polite, respectful, and funny as hell (not meanspirited...self deprecating type).

Very much liked by his teammates and team staff wherever he has played. I hope the Jets keep him, looks to be a pretty solid player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Reminds me a bit of Kevin Hayes.

I think he might be a bit of a late bloomer, taking some time to figure out how to translate his skillset to the faster pace of the NHL.

I agree. He's produced big numbers at all levels prior to the show and has shown flashes of it at the NHL level.

If he can build on his all around game (Held his own last year imo) while getting his offense going good be a big add especially if he comes at a bit of a discount due to the cap.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Demelo is a gem of a kid. Polite, respectful, and funny as hell (not meanspirited...self deprecating type).

Very much liked by his teammates and team staff wherever he has played. I hope the Jets keep him, looks to be a pretty solid player.

Great to hear!! Looking back I am actually more pumped with this pick up than I was at the time (and I loved it then). We obviously had a gaping hole in our top 4 D after Morrissey and Pionk. We needed to address that and not only did we pick up a much needed RHD man it was relatively inexpensive acquisition cost and he we can probably extend him for a very reasonable deal (fingers crossed) which is very important. I love players that add value and Dylan is very sound so you get all the good but he doesn't put up big enough points that his value gets nutty. I know some people wanted Hamonic but his game has diminished a bit and he has allot of tread off the tire now and will be 30 next season. DeMelo is just turning 27, smack dab in his prime, and I think he is better than Hamonic now.

I am with you TCsmyth hopefully he extends with us.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
EU8G-3CXkAMYSRe

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is not a cautionary tale against drafting for position. He was drafted right where he was rated. If anything, it is a cautionary tale against drafting BPA, since that is how he was drafted. OK, that is a little facetious. :laugh: It is only a cautionary tale against drafting duds, and no one needs to be told that. They just need to figure out how to avoid it.

OTOH, it does illustrate that identifying the BPA is unreliable.

Reactions: ps241

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He is not a cautionary tale against drafting for position. He was drafted right where he was rated. If anything, it is a cautionary tale against drafting BPA, since that is how he was drafted. OK, that is a little facetious. :laugh: It is only a cautionary tale against drafting duds, and no one needs to be told that. They just need to figure out how to avoid it.

It's so unreliable, I would prefer the term Highest Ranked Available or something like that. Draft talk, like plastics, should be BPA-free. :nod:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I was just reviewing the 2015 Black Book report on Strome and he was really polarizing with their Scouts. Some Scouts loved his skill and size (although he plays soft) and other Scouts were less enamored and thought he was too slow and possibly lacked the work ethic necessary to fix his shortcomings. Black Book ended up ranking him at #6 that year. I am not sure he was BPA at #3 but that is up for debate I guess.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's so unreliable, I would prefer the term Highest Ranked Available or something like that. Draft talk, like plastics, should be BPA-free. :nod:

Ranked, rated, either would do. It is the team's rating, not the published ranking that has to be used.

Actually, I wish they could draft 2 years later than they do. Jr players are typically drafted ~ 1/3 to 1/2 way through their Jr careers. NCAA players are most often drafted before their first NCAA season. Its just too hard to evaluate the players at that age. Very difficult to adjust the age though.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was just reviewing the 2015 Black Book report on Strome and he was really polarizing with their Scouts. Some Scouts loved his skill and size (although he plays soft) and other Scouts were less enamored and thought he was too slow and possibly lacked the work ethic necessary to fix his shortcomings. Black Book ended up ranking him at #6 that year. I am not sure he was BPA at #3 but that is up for debate I guess.

3-6 is not that significant. He had a helluva season in the OHL. He was clearly behind the top 2, like everyone else. There was probably divided opinions on Marner, Hanifin, Zacha and Provorov too. There were a lot of very good players available that year. The difference from one spot to the next was very small.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
3-6 is not that significant. He had a helluva season in the OHL. He was clearly behind the top 2, like everyone else. There was probably divided opinions on Marner, Hanifin, Zacha and Provorov too. There were a lot of very good players available that year. The difference from one spot to the next was very small.

Very true that scouting group had a good debate. Interesting that in the Black Book's final projection that season they had Kyle Connor at #5 one place ahead of Strome.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Very true that scouting group had a good debate. Interesting that in the Black Book's final projection that season they had Kyle Connor at #5 one place ahead of Strome.

:laugh: I looked at a redraft a while ago and thought he should have gone ~9-10. He is now 7th in pts for that draft and that would probably be a fair indication of the right spot to draft him. Thanks Boston. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:laugh: I looked at a redraft a while ago and thought he should have gone ~9-10. He is now 7th in pts for that draft and that would probably be a fair indication of the right spot to draft him. Thanks Boston. :laugh:

Its interesting there are not many organizations I have more respect for than Boston as far as churning out real quality teams. That 1st round draft debacle of theirs in 2015 remains a total mystery to me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its interesting there are not many organizations I have more respect for than Boston as far as churning out real quality teams. That 1st round draft debacle of theirs in 2015 remains a total mystery to me.

There have been a lot of highly questionable moves by the Bruins over the years. They have hit on a disproportionate number of later round picks. So they have been somewhat lucky. I suspect they also do a good job of development. Their trading is a mixed bag of good and bad but has been good enough.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There have been a lot of highly questionable moves by the Bruins over the years. They have hit on a disproportionate number of later round picks. So they have been somewhat lucky. I suspect they also do a good job of development. Their trading is a mixed bag of good and bad but has been good enough.

Yea they do seem to develop well and have a Bruin way in how they play which allows them to plug in pieces that compliment their system and philosophy well. Really weird to see them ship out high end talent like Jumbo Joe, Seguin, Hamilton, and Wheeler and still have such good teams year after year??

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who would trade Samberg + Roslovic for Suzuki? Assume we have no more hints about whether or not Samberg will sign here. It is just unknown.

If we would do that, would Mtl?

Samberg would be a big loss. Roslovic, not so much. A forward is coming back so our F corps is not down a man. When/if Little makes it back he can fill Roslo's role at 3RW or at C somewhere.

So we continue with a weakness at LD but fill our hole at 2C (presumably).

Habs are supposed to be looking hard for a top 4 LD with some size and who can play a shutdown role. I don't know how much value they would put on Samberg. I add Roslo because they are loaded with picks.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Who would trade Samberg + Roslovic for Suzuki? Assume we have no more hints about whether or not Samberg will sign here. It is just unknown.

If we would do that, would Mtl?

Samberg would be a big loss. Roslovic, not so much. A forward is coming back so our F corps is not down a man. When/if Little makes it back he can fill Roslo's role at 3RW or at C somewhere.

So we continue with a weakness at LD but fill our hole at 2C (presumably).

Habs are supposed to be looking hard for a top 4 LD with some size and who can play a shutdown role. I don't know how much value they would put on Samberg. I add Roslo because they are loaded with picks.
I feel MTL fans wouldn’t think it’s enough value going their way. I would do it, I think.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Curious what the top 10 ranking was?

I know as a Jets 1.0 fan I was leery of drafting Strome due to his skating issues. I also thought Marner was too weak to translate his game to the NHL (oops). I really wanted Arizona to trade down and grab one of the D (Provorov or Werenski).

Watching Strome a fair amount he does show tremendous offense instincts (brilliant passer) and has good positioning defensively but is not really strong defensively.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Curious what the top 10 ranking was?

I know as a Jets 1.0 fan I was leery of drafting Strome due to his skating issues. I also thought Marner was too weak to translate his game to the NHL (oops). I really wanted Arizona to trade down and grab one of the D (Provorov or Werenski).

Watching Strome a fair amount he does show tremendous offense instincts (brilliant passer) and has good positioning defensively but is not really strong defensively.

I have it on my desktop at work I will get your the top 10 tomorrow if my brain remembers.

Reactions: Heldig

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I feel MTL fans wouldn’t think it’s enough value going their way. I would do it, I think.
You'd have to add a 1st to Roslo and Slamberg and they still might not take it.
I really donn't want to see Slamberg traded.

Reactions: JBM

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yea they do seem to develop well and have a Bruin way in how they play which allows them to plug in pieces that compliment their system and philosophy well. Really weird to see them ship out high end talent like Jumbo Joe, Seguin, Hamilton, and Wheeler and still have such good teams year after year??

Yeah I suppose they really do know what they want and they try to acquire players that fit into that mold and ship out guys that don't. But it has led to them moving on from talent when they really should have kept it. I think once this current group Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand start to decline they may be in trouble. Hitting on Pastrnak and McAvoy. likely saved them from dropping off the last few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad