Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who would trade Samberg + Roslovic for Suzuki? Assume we have no more hints about whether or not Samberg will sign here. It is just unknown.

If we would do that, would Mtl?

Samberg would be a big loss. Roslovic, not so much. A forward is coming back so our F corps is not down a man. When/if Little makes it back he can fill Roslo's role at 3RW or at C somewhere.

So we continue with a weakness at LD but fill our hole at 2C (presumably).

Habs are supposed to be looking hard for a top 4 LD with some size and who can play a shutdown role. I don't know how much value they would put on Samberg. I add Roslo because they are loaded with picks.

That's a solid proposal. Maybe add a second round pick if needed but it seems to address a major need for both teams. Also gives them a good young winger.

Edit: Probably not now that Samberg has signed.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's a solid proposal. Maybe add a second round pick if needed but it seems to address a major need for both teams. Also gives them a good young winger.

Edit: Probably not now that Samberg has signed.

I just saw that he signed. Good news certainly. I was beginning to think Chevy didn't have cell service at the cabin. I am asking myself if that changes the situation. It changes the way I feel about it because I am happy to now have him as a Jet. But the pros and cons are the same.

No way I could see Chevy signing a young player like that and then flipping him almost immediately. But I think I would still do it if Habs would.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just saw that he signed. Good news certainly. I was beginning to think Chevy didn't have cell service at the cabin. I am asking myself if that changes the situation. It changes the way I feel about it because I am happy to now have him as a Jet. But the pros and cons are the same.

No way I could see Chevy signing a young player like that and then flipping him almost immediately. But I think I would still do it if Habs would.
I highly doubt that the Jets will trade Samberg. He's exactly what their D needs with Buff and Trouba gone - a big, minute-munching D that can protect his zone and move the puck efficiently. I expect that the Jets see him as a cornerstone type of D in the Manson / Slavin / Pesce category.

My guess is that the Jets will look to temporize a bit at 2C, using Wheeler (or Little) and try to acquire a long-term solution another way, perhaps through the draft. There's a decent chance that a mature and well-rounded C like Zary or Lundell will be available to them in the draft. Also, the Jets might have some thoughts of moving Copp, Roslovic, or maybe even Harkins into that slot. The strength of the Jets' forwards will remain their high end wing talent and Scheifele.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I highly doubt that the Jets will trade Samberg. He's exactly what their D needs with Buff and Trouba gone - a big, minute-munching D that can protect his zone and move the puck efficiently. I expect that the Jets see him as a cornerstone type of D in the Manson / Slavin / Pesce category.

My guess is that the Jets will look to temporize a bit at 2C, using Wheeler (or Little) and try to acquire a long-term solution another way, perhaps through the draft. There's a decent chance that a mature and well-rounded C like Zary or Lundell will be available to them in the draft. Also, the Jets might have some thoughts of moving Copp, Roslovic, or maybe even Harkins into that slot. The strength of the Jets' forwards will remain their high end wing talent and Scheifele.

A drafted C in the mid teens is likely 4 to 5 years away from being able to fulfill that top 6 role which completely misses the current Scheifele and young core window.

They definitely need to get a near ready to plug and play guy within the next season or two if they want to challenge for a cup imo.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Started up a Jets GM mode. Any input is appreciated

I just started up the 20/21 season. Drafted Askarov 12th. Czech RHD with low top 4 potential in the 2nd. Traded Vesalainen+Perreault for Adam Larsson+K. Russel and signed Hamonic to a 5 mil, 3 year deal in FA. Signed Kyle Clifford in FA to a 1 year-1.4 mil contract. Flipped Russel @ 50% for a 5th. My next moves are likely moving Niku and running Morrissey-Heinola-Stanley. When Askarov is ready I’ll trade Hellebyuck and I’m likely re-signing Larsson and then flipping Pionk. I’m thinking a middle 6 C, don’t wanna trade my first (I want to draft a RHD or a player who projects to be a great 3rd liner) so I might even flip Pionk+Roslovic (since he wants out irl?) for a middle 6/2nd line C hopefully with term and try to ship out Little for a cap dump+something decent. How’s my plan looking Jets fans?

Vesalainen has insane value in NHL 20 (if that’s the game you’re playing) for some reason, I’m sure you could’ve done better than Larsson.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, I think Samberg is here for quite a while now.

I'd be happy to draft a 2C this year but I will wait and see on that. Copp has already failed at 2C. It is not just that he didn't have much offense himself, but his linemates didn't either. Roslovic hasn't quite been given a full chance yet. I'd like to see him with Ehlers and Laine for a while. Harkins surprised me in the top 6 at LW so maybe he can surprise again at 2C. Worth a shot. Wheeler seemed to be stagnating there and Little is a wild card. Great if he could come back and be effective.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You'd have to add a 1st to Roslo and Slamberg and they still might not take it.
I really donn't want to see Slamberg traded.

I don't really want to trade Samberg either. But I really want Suzuki.

I don't think picks, even high ones are the best bait for Mtl. They have 14 picks this year, 4 in the first 2 rds. They picked 10 last year and 11 the year before. That's why I offered Roslo instead of our 1st.

I'm sure Habs really like Suzuki too. But with him gone they still have Danault, Domi, Kotkaniemi and Poehling down the middle, plus a few other options for bottom 6 C's. Roslo would add another possible.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I don't think picks, even high ones are the best bait for Mtl. They have 14 picks this year, 4 in the first 2 rds. They picked 10 last year and 11 the year before. That's why I offered Roslo instead of our 1st.

I'm sure Habs really like Suzuki too. But with him gone they still have Danault, Domi, Kotkaniemi and Poehling down the middle, plus a few other options for bottom 6 C's. Roslo would add another possible.
Would rather improve our top 4 d than get another centre. As I think our D is a bigger liability and centre can filled with a cheaper option relying on wings to carry offence.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Any chance we can trade Laine for a 2c and a great D?
We have abundance of great wingers. I think Laine has more potential than he’ll ever live up to. Move one guy fill 2 holes. Draft a great but lesser winger who can play top 6 in a year or two like Jarvis.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Any chance we can trade Laine for a 2c and a great D?
We have abundance of great wingers. I think Laine has more potential than he’ll ever live up to. Move one guy fill 2 holes. Draft a great but lesser winger who can play top 6 in a year or two like Jarvis.
I love Laine and think he's going to keep getting better. But if the Jets nab a RW like Quinn or Jarvis or Mercer or even Gunler who turns into a high scoring RW, then trading Laine becomes one explosive (and highly unlikely) option.

Regardless, I think the Jets shouldn't shy away from drafting another high octane offensive winger if that's the best player available in the draft. Scoring is always a premium asset in the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would rather improve our top 4 d than get another centre. As I think our D is a bigger liability and centre can filled with a cheaper option relying on wings to carry offence.

Since we picked up DeMelo our D has been pretty good. Assuming we can retain him, I think we can make do on D better than we can at C. That is assuming that Little isn't up to it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I think Samberg is here for quite a while now.

I'd be happy to draft a 2C this year but I will wait and see on that. Copp has already failed at 2C. It is not just that he didn't have much offense himself, but his linemates didn't either. Roslovic hasn't quite been given a full chance yet. I'd like to see him with Ehlers and Laine for a while. Harkins surprised me in the top 6 at LW so maybe he can surprise again at 2C. Worth a shot. Wheeler seemed to be stagnating there and Little is a wild card. Great if he could come back and be effective.

Little isn't really a wildcard imo. He hasn't been an effective fit at 2C for a couple of years now and will be another year older next season. I think counting on him to full fill that role moving forward would be poor planning imo. I also doubt Chevy is happy with the idea of him in that slot given the amount of assets that have been spent on 2C's during the deadline.

As for roster players or players in the system:

-Copp was stretched out in the role last year and wasn't effective. I like Copp but he doesn't have the skill necessary to be a long term fit their on a contending team. He is perfect in his current role as either the third line LW or C.

-Roslovic impressed me at C in his stint there this past year. Maurice needed to stretch him out more as we don't have a very clear picture as to what he can do there.

-Harkins has shown the vision, positional aptitude as well as skill that makes a good C. He was one of the best C in the AHL prior to his recall and might be a fit if given a chance.

All in all the team is in a bit of a bind with finding an in house solution as both Harkins and Roslovic are expansion draft eligible and likely find themselves out of the protected list atm. The org has a year to see more and make a call on one or both of them in that role.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler was actually very serviceable at 2C with Roslovic at 2C.

If Little comes back I wonder if Maurice might push him into the bottom six like he did when they acquired Stastny.

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Little-Harkins

Reactions: DRW204

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

If Little comes back I wonder if Maurice might push him into the bottom six like he did when they acquired Stastny.

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Little-Harkins

Nice lineup but I would be open to swapping the 3 right wingers. Maybe try Harkins on the 2nd, Roslo 3 and Apples 4th.

That with JoMo/DeMelo, Samberg/Pionk and Niku/Poolman and this team looks really nice.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I guess since Slamberg signed this is a moot point but Suzuki is their #1 prospect at c and they have some good ones.
That kid is a 65 point getter next season on this team easily. In 3 years I could see him consistently 70+ points if he made the Jets with the wingers I have. No way Roslo and any prospect we have gets you Suzuki. I'd offer one of Lowry or Copp, our 1st and one of Stanley.or Niku but it would probably take more..

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Little-Harkins

I wonder if they convert Little to RW to play with Lowry and Copp.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I guess since Slamberg signed this is a moot point but Suzuki is their #1 prospect at c and they have some good ones.
That kid is a 65 point getter next season on this team easily. In 3 years I could see him consistently 70+ points if he made the Jets with the wingers I have. No way Roslo and any prospect we have gets you Suzuki. I'd offer one of Lowry or Copp, our 1st and one of Stanley.or Niku but it would probably take more..
Heck I’d offer Ehlers for a top centre like that.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
KC-XXXXXXX-Wheeler
Harkins-Little-Roslo
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
pressbox Shaw but KV or someone as first call up
Copper and Harkins interchangeable
Dam fine forward group with a new 2C

JMo DeMelo
Slamberg Pionk
Heinola Poolman
pressbox Boolow (give him enough games to make him eligible for the XD) Niku

Helle LB?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Little isn't really a wildcard imo. He hasn't been an effective fit at 2C for a couple of years now and will be another year older next season. I think counting on him to full fill that role moving forward would be poor planning imo. I also doubt Chevy is happy with the idea of him in that slot given the amount of assets that have been spent on 2C's during the deadline.

As for roster players or players in the system:

-Copp was stretched out in the role last year and wasn't effective. I like Copp but he doesn't have the skill necessary to be a long term fit their on a contending team. He is perfect in his current role as either the third line LW or C.

-Roslovic impressed me at C in his stint there this past year. Maurice needed to stretch him out more as we don't have a very clear picture as to what he can do there.

-Harkins has shown the vision, positional aptitude as well as skill that makes a good C. He was one of the best C in the AHL prior to his recall and might be a fit if given a chance.

All in all the team is in a bit of a bind with finding an in house solution as both Harkins and Roslovic are expansion draft eligible and likely find themselves out of the protected list atm. The org has a year to see more and make a call on one or both of them in that role.

Little is a wildcard in a couple of ways. Will he come back? If so will he be able to pick up where he left off? He was playing well to start the season (almost called it last season, :laugh: seems so long ago). If he can do that, maybe he is more effective with the more mature Ehlers and Laine. I'm not holding my breath, but it could happen.

Yes, I think Copp had his chance.

Roslovic needs to be "stretched out". Its time to see what he has got.

I've always seen Harkins as a 3C candidate, but he looked good with the opportunity he had. He is worth a try.

The XD is still a little far off to write anything in stone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: I'd do your deal before mine. I'd much rather keep Samberg than those. I'm thinking Habs would much rather have Samberg too.

1st + Lowry + Niku + Stanley. Where do I sign?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Suzuki will never happen, but I think Mort hit on the possible solution earlier when trying to explain why Montreal would deal him, and I think the answer could be Ryan Poehling. You look at the packages posters are offering up for Suzuki and perhaps something simpler like Niku for Poehling is the actual answer. Poehling had a difficult rookie year, which is understandable for any player, but his last two seasons at St. Cloud State were really good. He's got size, defensively responsible and is a good play-maker. He doesn't have the greatest speed, but he's a smart player, which can more than make up for a foot-speed issue. A more minor move might be a smarter play here. Niku would fit into Montreal's depth chart on D pretty well, also.

Poehling and Montreal obviously aren't the only solution, but my point with this post is to offer a solution that isn't a giant move, but a more subtle move that can be just as effective. We don't have to trade Ehlers, the 1st, Lowry, Samberg, or any combination of higher valued assets, we could just offer a guy who has value like Niku for another player who has value, like Poehling, and find a fit somewhere there. Players that may be blocked at their position in their current organization who could use a change. Poehling could look really good between any combination of Ehlers, Laine, Connor and Wheeler.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think trading for Suzuki is a dream, no chance I think the Habs trade him. I do believe a guy like Poehling could be traded for assuming we offer some value & fill some needs for the Habs. Poehling would also cost far less then Suzuki. Habs need D I would offer Niku or Niku+ for Poehling.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Connor-Scheifele-Laine
Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Appleton
Perreault-Little-Harkins

makes to much sense. wheeler was fine at 2C and that would save us some assets in trying to acquire one. still need to probably draft a top flight C prospect though because long-term our C pipeline does not look really good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
makes to much sense. wheeler was fine at 2C and that would save us some assets in trying to acquire one. still need to probably draft a top flight C prospect though because long-term our C pipeline does not look really good.

The question is does he want to convert long term. Both times Maurice moved him back to wing the first good chance he got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad