Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Debrusk can choose money or success by choosing between Edmonton and Calgary.

I doubt it would actually happen, but a shorter term deal here would be awesome, then he can still go and get more term and AAV down the road

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
These ARE some of the biggest names on the market outside of Guentzel and Pesce I suppose.
I think the issue with adding the bigger names is that they'll want term and the Oilers only really have cap space this offseason. If they somehow move Campbell miraculously then that changes but I don't think they can afford to give out any multi-year deals to top 6 forwards/top 4 Dmen as is.
I wouldn't say these are the bigger names. Plus, who are Leon's linemates if we don't get one of them? Foegele is gone. Kane is a mystery right now. His only winger is Holloway. If we want to make the Cup Final again we can't just fully stand pat. I am going to guess that Jackson did not want to say too much in the media interview with Stauffer

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I wouldn't say these are the bigger names. Plus, who are Leon's linemates if we don't get one of them? Foegele is gone. Kane is a mystery right now. His only winger is Holloway. If we want to make the Cup Final again we can't just fully stand pat. I am going to guess that Jackson did not want to say too much in the media interview with Stauffer

Yeah, I agree. Even Knob eluded to it during the end game presser that Leon deserves to have quality top 6 wingers on his side.
Is the Campbell+McLeod to San Jose thing just a Woodley showerthought or is it something with actual rumours behind it?
Just some shower thought. I'm on full board with it though. I like McLeod, but potentially getting out of Campbell's contract in full is HUGE.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I like the fact that Jackson mentioned freeing up cap space.

I think it was one thing that Holland was really poor at. He never really tried to be proactive and clear up cap space. It was always a last resort thing when his back was against the wall.

No idea what to expect with Jackson. Like most GM’s he said a whole lot and said nothing at the same time. I do hope we see some creativity to clear up some cap space.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I’m trying to think of what experienced GMs that are even out there.

Ron Hextall and Jason Botterill would be bad options I think. Botterill is from Edmonton so I can see the connection.

Its always hard to know with GM’s how good they are because you don’t know what the ownership is like. I could see Buffalo and Philly being gong shows to deal with.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I like the fact that Jackson mentioned freeing up cap space.

I think it was one thing that Holland was really poor at. He never really tried to be proactive and clear up cap space. It was always a last resort thing when his back was against the wall.

No idea what to expect with Jackson. Like most GM’s he said a whole lot and said nothing at the same time. I do hope we see some creativity to clear up some cap space.
My guess for why Holland was like that, was a reason for why he was siccessful. He put valde in human relations, just didnt treat his players as things you trade or throw, use with tear. He respekterar humans, and such things as buyout coming in when its än actual crucial must.

With that said, buying out Campbell is a must. And they really need to think about Nurse, trade or keep.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Yes, hahaha. San Jose could take McLeod for free on his own.
Are you unsure why nobody seems to like you here? This type of post sums it up pretty well.

We have a good young player who struggled in the playoffs, most people agree he's probably too soft to be a fixture on a perennial contender.

But you say we should give him away for free to the worst team in the league, and on top of that you laugh about it.

People with shitty behaviour always think it's their opinions others take issue with, but mostly it's just the behaviour.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Are you unsure why nobody seems to like you here? This type of post sums it up pretty well.

We have a good young player who struggled in the playoffs, most people agree he's probably too soft to be a fixture on a perennial contender.

But you say we should give him away for free to the worst team in the league, and on top of that you laugh about it.

People with shitty behaviour always think it's their opinions others take issue with, but mostly it's just the behaviour.
I believe at his salary cap he is not worth. We can look at Klim Kostin for example as someone who is considered overpaid, yet actually brings a playoff style game and is still paid less than McLeod.

If you dislike someone as a person because they don’t believe a player at over 2 million who is a massive net negative player in playoff hockey is worth keeping around — if you believe they should be silenced, that’s on you.

McLeod significantly decreases our chances of winning hockey games when he is on the ice. For over two million a year.

Reactions: Duke74

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I believe at his salary cap he is not worth. We can look at Klim Kostin for example as someone who is considered overpaid, yet actually brings a playoff style game and is still paid less than McLeod.

If you dislike someone as a person because they don’t believe a player at over 2 million who is a massive net negative player in playoff hockey is worth keeping around — if you believe they should be silenced, that’s on you.

McLeod significantly decreases our chances of winning hockey games when he is on the ice. For over two million a year.
McLeod doubled Kostin in pts this year, plays C and PK’s.

You know who else had better production than Kostin? Warren Foegele.

There used to be this dumb piece of shit named Duul around here who would constantly shoot his mouth off and make stupid claims. He bet me that Kostin would have better production then Foegele this year but his dumb ass got banned and thus he welched on the bet.

He loved Kostin too.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't know what Washington is doing, as well as Calgary for that matter. I'm waiting to hear Calgary retained on Mangipane for that 2nd LOL.

Also Washington is OVER the cap already and still need to fill the roster out. This is kinda mind-boggling.

Pretty sure Oshie is done and will be going on season long LTIR. He said at the end of the playoffs something to the effect that his body is shot.
He is at 5.75 and so they would have about 3.7M in cap space with Oshie and Backstroke on LTIR.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

BAM! Immediately you jump to defend your opinion rather than your behaviour even in direct response to a post where I made a distinction between the two and primarily called out the latter.

For the record, I think we should look to move McLeod.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

McLeod had a bad playoff and at times he quite frankly played like a p***y afraid to take a big bump to make the right play, but the same time he did still have a pretty good regular season.

His CF% and FF% were good his goal differential 5 on 5 was easily the best of his career, his points per 60 were in line with a 3rd line player, his goals against per 60 was really strong, his PK numbers were excellent.

Also $2.1M is not a significant sum for a 3rd line center, they generally make $3.5M-ish probably closer to $3.75M after the cap increase. McLeod's salary is in line with a 3rd/4th line tweener center.

I know there is a huge contingent of the fanbase who only bases their opinion on the playoffs, like I'm sure if I made a poll asking should we re-sign Connor Brown next season before the playoffs it would of been 90% No, where as now it's probably like 95% Yes.

I don't believe a bad playoffs makes you a bad player and he's young enough and promising enough that I believe in giving him another opportunity.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Yeah, I agree. Even Knob eluded to it during the end game presser that Leon deserves to have quality top 6 wingers on his side. .

1000%. IMO we cant be sitting out if theres an opportunity to add a legit, healthy, prime winger for Leon- especially a RHS option.

We have to be looking to upgrade even if it costs us in other areas.

Reactions: McAsuno

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
the Jusse Saros who only put up a .900 against the Nucks?

So you wanted to change up more than half the team that went to a Game 7 of cup finals and wanted to trade the best defenceman of the entire playoffs as part of that plan.
I wanted a Stanley Cup, and it was apparent to me that we didn't have the horses to get it done. So I wanted a major shakeup. I still do. Because it's apparent to me that we do not have the horses to win a Stanley Cup this upcoming season.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I wanted a Stanley Cup, and it was apparent to me that we didn't have the horses to get it done. So I wanted a major shakeup. I still do. Because it's apparent to me that we do not have the horses to win a Stanley Cup this upcoming season.
That’s what I always say too - why don’t we just make a team that is so good we will win the Stanley cup?

I guess we’ll either be right forever, or the Oilers will actually win the cup and then no one will care. That is another good part about our position :)

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
My top free agent target is Toffoli.

No idea what the club will do on D, it's more complicated because we should move one or both of Ceci/Kulak out for an upgrade.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
My top free agent target is Toffoli.

No idea what the club will do on D, it's more complicated because we should move one or both of Ceci/Kulak out for an upgrade.
I got laughed at for liking the Dakota Joshua contract. I wish he found his way to the Oilers. We could use two of him.

In retrospect we might be celebrating around the clock now if if we had two big mean middle six players who could play punishing hockey effectively, play a defensive system effectively, and play up and down the lineup. We lacked that for the Oilers playoff push. Likely would have had a more rested McDavid and Draisaitl as well if that element was added to the club.

Hopefully our pro-scouting can find two of his clones. Players of this ilk shouldn't be that hard to find or acquire. Why do we have none? And for those wanting to circle back to Klim Kostin, he isn't close to being the player Joshua is. Not remotely close. It's all about being able to play systems without fault. Learn the system and never deviate from it.

McLeod had a bad playoff and at times he quite frankly played like a p***y afraid to take a big bump to make the right play, but the same time he did still have a pretty good regular season.

His CF% and FF% were good his goal differential 5 on 5 was easily the best of his career, his points per 60 were in line with a 3rd line player, his goals against per 60 was really strong, his PK numbers were excellent.

Also $2.1M is not a significant sum for a 3rd line center, they generally make $3.5M-ish probably closer to $3.75M after the cap increase. McLeod's salary is in line with a 3rd/4th line tweener center.

I know there is a huge contingent of the fanbase who only bases their opinion on the playoffs, like I'm sure if I made a poll asking should we re-sign Connor Brown next season before the playoffs it would of been 90% No, where as now it's probably like 95% Yes.

I don't believe a bad playoffs makes you a bad player and he's young enough and promising enough that I believe in giving him another opportunity.
I don't like McLeod at center for the simple reason he refuses to play the center of the ice. He just won't do it. It basically comes down to that. He's a fail as a center.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
IMO

Out Via Trade: Ceci, Kulak (if we can get a quality RHD to pair with Nurse), Kane (if he's an issue in the room), McLeod (Just not gritty enough)

Out Via Buyout: Campbell

Out Via FA: Desharnais, Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, Stetcher

UFA's To Hopefully Retain: Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Pickard (if he's around $1 million AAV)

Players To Give a NHL Push To: Holloway, Broberg, Lavoie, maybe Rodrigue

Players to Target Via UFA: Viktor Arvidsson, Jake Debrusk, Sam Lafferty, Dylan Demelo, Chris Tanev, Liam O'Brien

Players to Target Via Trade: Adam Boqvist, Klim Kostin (salary retained),
Exactly my thoughts, resign Janmark and Brown to 1m deals each.
It doesn’t sound like Henrique will be back unfortunately, but that is ok.
Look for a solid 3C (preferably right handed)
4th line needs to be a bigger, more aggressive shut down line ala Klim Kostin (retained of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad