Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Exactly my thoughts, resign Janmark and Brown to 1m deals each.
It doesn’t sound like Henrique will be back unfortunately, but that is ok.
Look for a solid 3C (preferably right handed)
4th line needs to be a bigger, more aggressive shut down line ala Klim Kostin (retained of course)
Janmark-Henrique-Brown is a very good 3rd line. Made for the playoffs and that's what teams are looking for now. I hope the new GM is fighting hard to get Henrique signed and for cheap

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Campbell for Biden

You mean Biron? I think he’s long retired :sarcasm:
Give BlackDogg's idea a chance.

He does come with a secret service detail so no opposing player would dare touch him. It would slow the game down a bit as he toddled his way up the ice, but I'm pretty sure the ratings would be through the roof, at least in the beginning...

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Buyout window closes Sunday at 5PM Eastern so something needs to happen with Campbell before then.

I don't think there's any chance of a trade, Campbell has had crushing confidence issues with two teams, nobody is going to want to pick him up for three years even with reduced cap, when they can give him a cheap one year deal after the buyout if they have any interest to see if he has anything left.

However, if any Oiler player goes to arbitration, that opens another buyout window.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Is it me or doesn’t it feel strange that neither did any Oilers or Panthers player getting a award this year?🤔🤷‍♂️
What's stranger is Connor wasn't a finalist for the Lindsay, like the players association decided let someone else have it for a year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
McLeod had a bad playoff and at times he quite frankly played like a p***y afraid to take a big bump to make the right play, but the same time he did still have a pretty good regular season.

His CF% and FF% were good his goal differential 5 on 5 was easily the best of his career, his points per 60 were in line with a 3rd line player, his goals against per 60 was really strong, his PK numbers were excellent.

Also $2.1M is not a significant sum for a 3rd line center, they generally make $3.5M-ish probably closer to $3.75M after the cap increase. McLeod's salary is in line with a 3rd/4th line tweener center.

I know there is a huge contingent of the fanbase who only bases their opinion on the playoffs, like I'm sure if I made a poll asking should we re-sign Connor Brown next season before the playoffs it would of been 90% No, where as now it's probably like 95% Yes.

I don't believe a bad playoffs makes you a bad player and he's young enough and promising enough that I believe in giving him another opportunity.

I don’t think moving McLeod should be a priority because there are a bunch of other things that need to be done first.

But I don’t think you can look at his and Foegeles stats and think they are realistically part of the solution. Both of these guys put up decent numbers with Draisaitl and didnt do much in the bottom 6. I don’t think either guys are really liabilities on defense but they don’t contribute much on offense.

I just don’t think either of these guys should be in the top 6 and they don’t seem to do much in the bottom 6. I don’t think McLeod is really a 3C either. Hes probably a 3LW or 4C.

I just hope Jackson/Henrique can figure something out because I want a real 3C on this team.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We should trade for rights to Rutger McGroarty for a 2nd rounder. Cheap legitmate prospect that could grow with Draisaitl and Holloway!

He’s probably getting more than a second.

And I just don’t trust these American kids who played in the NCAA/USHL/whatever that go high in the draft on a Canadian team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd do Tanev or Walker all day.

Hell, dump Ceci and Kulak and get both haha.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Ceci
=$26M

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Tanev
Broberg-Walker
=$29M
That's going to be an expensive bottom pairing D in a year in Nurse and Walker.

9.25m + 4.5M

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And what spend it this season and be crippled next season when 2 10 plus million contracts kick in and have 2,3 million dead next season and another 2.6 million dead cap when time to re-up McDavid that is brutal cap management I think they are looking at other options
it’s dead cap either way and our second best chance at a cup is this coming season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I got laughed at for liking the Dakota Joshua contract. I wish he found his way to the Oilers. We could use two of him.

In retrospect we might be celebrating around the clock now if if we had two big mean middle six players who could play punishing hockey effectively, play a defensive system effectively, and play up and down the lineup. We lacked that for the Oilers playoff push. Likely would have had a more rested McDavid and Draisaitl as well if that element was added to the club.

Hopefully our pro-scouting can find two of his clones. Players of this ilk shouldn't be that hard to find or acquire. Why do we have none? And for those wanting to circle back to Klim Kostin, he isn't close to being the player Joshua is. Not remotely close. It's all about being able to play systems without fault. Learn the system and never deviate from it.

I don't like McLeod at center for the simple reason he refuses to play the center of the ice. He just won't do it. It basically comes down to that. He's a fail as a center.

And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Joshua got Mikheyev'd within the next two seasons.

Just turned 28 year old, who had a career season, while shooting 20% and often finding himself on the right end of a lot of chaos-y/opportunistic plays. Often that lightning doesn't strike twice, especially once those guys get a little job security. Jeannot's the current poster boy for this.

As said, I don't see a lot of structure to Joshua's game. In my eyes, there's not a lot of difference between him and Foegele. Another guy who relies on a chaos-driven, opportunistic game, and one I would steer the hell away from for anything north of 2.5mil,

Also your 3rd paragraph doesn't make much sense. You say they should be on the lookout for these players, but Kostin's not a good example? At the end of his 24YO season (where Klim is now) Joshua was a minor league and had all of 12 games NHL games to his name, and was still well over a year away from making a proper impact at the NHL level. If you were asking me for a list of guys in their mid-20s that could grow into an energy 3rd liner-type, Kostin'd be near the top of it.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Hall for McLeod+Campbell. We need a boost in 5on5
Problem is that Taylor Hall never has played a structured game of professional hockey in his life. Everything he does is random and reckless. No thanks.
And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Joshua got Mikheyev'd within the next two seasons.

Just turned 28 year old, who had a career season, while shooting 20% and often finding himself on the right end of a lot of chaos-y/opportunistic plays. Often that lightning doesn't strike twice, especially once those guys get a little job security. Jeannot's the current poster boy for this.

As said, I don't see a lot of structure to Joshua's game. In my eyes, there's not a lot of difference between him and Foegele. Another guy who relies on a chaos-driven, opportunistic game, and one I would steer the hell away from for anything north of 2.5mil,

Also your 3rd paragraph doesn't make much sense. You say they should be on the lookout for these players, but Kostin's not a good example? At the end of his 24YO season (where Klim is now) Joshua was a minor league and had all of 12 games NHL games to his name, and was still over a year away from making a proper impact at the NHL level. If you were asking me for a list of guys in their mid-20s that could grow into an energy 3rd liner-type, he'd be near the top of the list.
You don't see the difference between Mikheyev and Joshua? Or Joshua and Kostin.

Hint. One was one of the most effective players that the Oilers lined up against from the entire playoffs. An absolute stud that physically dominated and was a menace every shift he played against the Oilers. I wouldn't be expecting him to carry the offence.

I would expect a player like that to win virtually every battle in the corners, park himself in front of the net, and play the same way defensively every single shift, and a big guy like that can take a whole lot of dependable shifts in a hockey game while wearing the other team out.

I guess not everyone sees the same thing... kind of subjective.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Joshua is going to be playing with Pettersson, Miller, one of Lindholm/Guentzel, Boeser, Lekkerimaki. I think he will do just fine

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Joshua is going to be playing with Pettersson, Miller, one of Lindholm/Guentzel, Boeser, Lekkerimaki. I think he will do just fine
I'm with you. He can play on any line and tilt the ice. I don't see why anyone would be avoidant to adding Joshua and his contract is fine.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Problem is that Taylor Hall never has played a structured game of professional hockey in his life. Everything he does is random and reckless. No thanks.

You don't see the difference between Mikheyev and Joshua? Or Joshua and Kostin.

Hint. One was one of the most effective players that the Oilers lined up against from the entire playoffs. An absolute stud that physically dominated and was a menace every shift he played against the Oilers.

I guess not everyone sees the same thing... kind of subjective.

I guess I'll return the question, what's the difference between Joshua of this year, and Mikheyev during his last year with the Leafs where he was a PK and forechecking god? I'm not arguing that Joshua didn't do a lot of good work this year, I'm just sceptical af that he can replicate it.

The list of random one-year wonders right before they hit UFA is a hell of a lot longer than the ones who actually put it together and provided good value for their follow-up contracts. Especially when it comes to players who succeeded due to "out-efforting" and physical play during that one season.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I would be very weary of his shooting percentage last year to be honest. 21% is awfully high to keep up. Mix that with Vancouver’s insane PDO last year and I’m not sure it’s that great of deal. Not terrible but not great either.

I wonder who we are getting from Toronto this year?
Any Hymans to be rid of?
Heard they may look to move on from

Timothy Liljegren​

Reactions: Sanchez

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I guess I'll return the question, what's the difference between Joshua of this year, and Mikheyev during his last year with the Leafs where he was a PK and forechecking god? I'm not arguing that Joshua didn't do a lot of good work this year, I'm just sceptical af that he can replicate it.

The list of random one-year wonders right before they hit UFA is a hell of a lot longer than the ones who actually put it together and provided good value for their follow-up contracts. Especially when it comes to players who succeeded due to "out-efforting" and physical play during that one season.
Joshua is a beast. I like the player and I don't like that Vancouver inked him at what I believe is a discount. And I don't like that a player I've witnessed the Oilers having difficulties playing against is in the same division.

I think GMs would have been lining up to sign this player. If you disagree that's fine. Now he's with the Canucks I hope he busts. Maybe he will.

I would be very weary of his shooting percentage last year to be honest. 21% is awfully high to keep up. Mix that with Vancouver’s insane PDO last year and I’m not sure it’s that great of deal. Not terrible but not great either.

Heard they may look to move on from

Timothy Liljegren​

When I think of Joshua his shooting percentage isn't the focal selling point. It's size and the physical identity to his game. That and being a dependable player that can eat up shifts in the offensive zone hemming in the opposition. Offence is a bonus.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm hoping that Adam Henrique decides to chase a cup and we can sign him for around 3m/yr. That would go a long way for our bottom 6 depth.

As much as I do love Janmark and Brown, I can't shake the fact that there are replacements for them in the UFA market. Henrique on the other hand? I don't see a lot of guys that I'd trust to drive the offence from the bottom 6, especially at centre.

Stevenson and Lindholm are going to be singed as top 6 centres... Wennberg perhaps could be a good fit. But beyond him, there's not a lot in the way of two-way 3rd line centres on the market outside of Rico.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
As much as I do love Janmark and Brown, I can't shake the fact that there are replacements for them in the UFA market. Henrique on the other hand? I don't see a lot of guys that I'd trust to drive the offence from the bottom 6, especially at centre.

Stevenson and Lindholm are going to be singed as top 6 centres... Wennberg perhaps could be a good fit. But beyond him, there's not a lot in the way of two-way 3rd line centres on the market outside of Rico.
Brown IMO is a keeper. He started showing his true form in the playoffs. I think he can fit in the top 6 now when there's injuries or illnesses.

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad