Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Janmark-Henrique-Brown is a very good 3rd line. Made for the playoffs and that's what teams are looking for now. I hope the new GM is fighting hard to get Henrique signed and for cheap

If you look at Janmark and Browns production and Henrique hitting the age where players lose a step, I think this is more of a 3B 4A line in a system where all 4 lines get about equal time. I think this line cannot compete at the level we saw in the playoffs game in and game out over 82 games. That said we are not a 4 line team with the 2 two super-elites running 2 separate lines and taking huge chunks of the salary.

Reactions: McDrai

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would love to get Guenther out of Utah. Former Oil King who would be a tremendous add to our middle six group of forwards. I think we also need a small injection of youth on the team (Holloway and Broberg help).
I also see an opportunity to deal Nurse to them. They have 3 defensemen locked up for next season and could use a solid defender on their team. They have more than enough cap room to take his full salary but I would be willing to retain on 2 mil or so. It’s time to get creative in order to push our team over the top.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Joshua is a beast. I like the player and I don't like that Vancouver inked him at what I believe is a discount. And I don't like that a player I've witnessed the Oilers having difficulties playing against is in the same division.

I think GMs would have been lining up to sign this player. If you disagree that's fine. Now he's with the Canucks I hope he busts. Maybe he will.

When I think of Joshua his shooting percentage isn't the focal selling point. Its size and the physical identity to his game. That and being a dependable player that can eat up shifts in the offensive zone hemming in the opposition. Offence is a bonus.
Sure you can look at all those attributes but if you’re paying a guy that kind of cash he better be scoring goals too. We tried that with Kassian who IMO was very comparable to what Joshua is today. How did that work out again?

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
McLeod had a bad playoff and at times he quite frankly played like a p***y afraid to take a big bump to make the right play, but the same time he did still have a pretty good regular season.

His CF% and FF% were good his goal differential 5 on 5 was easily the best of his career, his points per 60 were in line with a 3rd line player, his goals against per 60 was really strong, his PK numbers were excellent.

Also $2.1M is not a significant sum for a 3rd line center, they generally make $3.5M-ish probably closer to $3.75M after the cap increase. McLeod's salary is in line with a 3rd/4th line tweener center.

I know there is a huge contingent of the fanbase who only bases their opinion on the playoffs, like I'm sure if I made a poll asking should we re-sign Connor Brown next season before the playoffs it would of been 90% No, where as now it's probably like 95% Yes.

I don't believe a bad playoffs makes you a bad player and he's young enough and promising enough that I believe in giving him another opportunity.

I think we’re in a spot where playoff play needs to be the determining factor on players like McLeod. I frankly don’t care what he does through 82 games if he flails in the post season like he did this year.

Same goes for players like Nurse (probably untradeable so moot point). If you fail over and over and over again when the games matter and it hurts your team, the nice stretch they have from November - February doesn’t matter whatsoever.

The Stanley Cup is won in the margins, and players that can’t perform in the margins need to go to be replaced with players that can.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
As much as I do love Janmark and Brown, I can't shake the fact that there are replacements for them in the UFA market. Henrique on the other hand? I don't see a lot of guys that I'd trust to drive the offence from the bottom 6, especially at centre.

Stevenson and Lindholm are going to be singed as top 6 centres... Wennberg perhaps could be a good fit. But beyond him, there's not a lot in the way of two-way 3rd line centres on the market outside of Rico.
Close to unanimous that posters would like to see that third line back. What they did on the pk is what I'll remember from the playoff run. That line found an identity. It all comes down to cost.

I can't see why those players wouldn't take a haircut to keep that going. Their profession is hockey, they must take a great deal of pride in their success, and they found a formula over a run of games devised by Mark Stuart. Divide those players and they likely won't perform at the same level.

They should be a package. Maybe all three or none. Everyone makes 2M on a two year deals and we have a 6M dollar third line. I know some see Henrique making more but due to his age he might not get contract offers with term on the open market.
Sure you can look at all those attributes but if you’re paying a guy that kind of cash he better be scoring goals too. We tried that with Kassian who IMO was very comparable to what Joshua is today. How did that work out again?
Maybe. Kassian had some strikes against him before he signed that terrible deal.

Not all physical players break down and Kassian never worked the boards or played a structured game like Joshua.

Kassian was in over his head from day one of that contract. If they are comparables we should see it demonstrated sooner than later.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Jackson isn’t going to make any big or wholesale changes to a team that got as close to winning a cup as you can without actually winning.

They’ll work to bring back Janmark, Brown. Foegele likely gets squeezed out and probably 50/50 they get Henrique back. Desharnais is another 50/50 guy, could be back but could also price himself out of town.

Campbell will be dealt with one way or another and if they need to create cap space Ceci is probably first one moved. If they need more space or have an opportunity at a guy they like then I could see McLeod as part of a package.

Maybe they explore a Kane trade but I see it as a long shot, same with Nurse but even more unlikely.

Don’t see them adding any sizeable longer term deals in free agency, more likely they’ll target guys who want a shot at a cup or guys with track records who are looking for an opportunity to bounce back. Options that would be willing to take short term deals at a discount.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Close to unanimous that posters would like to see that third line back. What they did on the pk is what I'll remember from the playoff run. That line found an identity. It all comes down to cost.

I can't see why those players wouldn't take a haircut to keep that going. Their profession is hockey, they must take a great deal of pride in their success, and they found a formula over a run of games devised by Mark Stuart. Divide those players and they likely won't perform at the same level.

They should be a package. Maybe all three or none. Everyone makes 2M on a two year deals and we have a 6M dollar third line. I know some see Henrique making more but due to his age he might not get contract offers with term on the open market.

Maybe. Kassian had some strikes against him before he signed that terrible deal.

Not all physical players break down and Kassian never worked the boards or played a structured game like Joshua.

Kassian was in over his head from day one of that contract. If they are comparables we should see it demonstrated sooner than later.
Time will tell but this deal to me screams buyout within 2 years

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I’d offer:

Henrique - 3 mil aav on a 2 year deal
Janmark - 1.5 mil aav on a 2 year deal
Brown - 1.5 mil aav on a 2 year deal

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
McLeod had a bad playoff and at times he quite frankly played like a p***y afraid to take a big bump to make the right play, but the same time he did still have a pretty good regular season.

His CF% and FF% were good his goal differential 5 on 5 was easily the best of his career, his points per 60 were in line with a 3rd line player, his goals against per 60 was really strong, his PK numbers were excellent.

Also $2.1M is not a significant sum for a 3rd line center, they generally make $3.5M-ish probably closer to $3.75M after the cap increase. McLeod's salary is in line with a 3rd/4th line tweener center.

I know there is a huge contingent of the fanbase who only bases their opinion on the playoffs, like I'm sure if I made a poll asking should we re-sign Connor Brown next season before the playoffs it would of been 90% No, where as now it's probably like 95% Yes.

I don't believe a bad playoffs makes you a bad player and he's young enough and promising enough that I believe in giving him another opportunity.
Well, he has 12 points in 56 playoff games. Let's keep in mind he got his shots up in the top six as well. He has had four playoff runs now to figure it out. How many more do we give him before we realize he will never help us there?

For reference with some time up with Draisaitl as well, he paces around 8 goals per 82 in the playoffs. If we are expecting him to be a 4th line ten minutes a night type guy, sure, he can work there. Past that we need to be looking to replace him.

Reactions: K1984

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Jackson isn’t going to make any big or wholesale changes to a team that got as close to winning a cup as you can without actually winning.

They’ll work to bring back Janmark, Brown. Foegele likely gets squeezed out and probably 50/50 they get Henrique back. Desharnais is another 50/50 guy, could be back but could also price himself out of town.

Campbell will be dealt with one way or another and if they need to create cap space Ceci is probably first one moved. If they need more space or have an opportunity at a guy they like then I could see McLeod as part of a package.

Maybe they explore a Kane trade but I see it as a long shot, same with Nurse but even more unlikely.

Don’t see them adding any sizeable longer term deals in free agency, more likely they’ll target guys who want a shot at a cup or guys with track records who are looking for an opportunity to bounce back. Options that would be willing to take short term deals at a discount.
Sure do that but who’s Leon’s winger? I’m sorry but you can’t go to next season without a good scoring winger for Leon

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think we can all agree that Holloway, Broberg, Janmark and Brown will all be back.

Assumption # 1 : 4.55M for that group of players.

I think we can all agree that Ceci will be traded. Campbell will be bought out or traded as well.

Assumption # 2: We free up 7.15 (buyout) - 8.25M (trade) in cap space.

We are going to need a couple of warm bodies in the lineup (12F/13F/7D) to round out the roster. I'm think Lane Pederson, Philip Kemp and Raphael Lavoie

Assumption # 3: 2.4M spent on fringe players

I think Pickard comes back but we might get a better 1B for Skinner this year. I think this is a pretty big gap between 800k-2M.

Assumption #4: 1M spent on a backup goaltender.

That puts us at a 20 man roster with 9.2-10.3M in cap space. Without more trades we would still need a top 6F and a top 4 defenceman.

1719590041289.png

Assumption #5: Priorities are a winger for Draisaitl and D partner for Nurse.

That means we can spend 5M on a Drai winger (Debrusk/Arvidsson/etc) and around 4M on a partner for nurse (Tanev/Walker/Carrier).

Option 1: Kane to LTIR or Trade

Moving Kane to LTIR would require some gymnastics over the season but would allow for more flexibility. It's possible he has value around the league as well. Moving on from Kane would suck come playoff time but I do question how healthy he can be when he returns. Also, with 2 years left I wonder if his money is going to McDrai long term.

Option 2: Trade Kulak

Trading Kulak would move Broberg to the left side and probably allow us to get a better top 4 defenceman to play with Nurse. It would also open the door for Desharnais to come back in that 1.5-2M range.

Option 3: Trade McLeod

Trading Mcleod wouldn't be a smart idea as we want to get younger and faster. Having said that, moving him would open the door to sign Rico as our 3C. If we are truly win now we might want the proven guy over the potential.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know where the cap space is coming from, but if people think we're actually in on Debrusk, I'd really like to see them add another forward and give Draisaitl two new options. Then have Holloway and Lavoie fill spots in the bottom six. I think you kind of have to pencil in Lavoie, it's essential that they get some production out of a guy like him, give him a chance to adjust to the NHL.

Reactions: M Ace

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Foegele is on his way out because we need an upgrade on him. I can't see anyone offering him the coin some suggest. If he can get it good for him.

We won't know what we have left in Kane unless he gets the surgery. Watched it done on YT and it isn't pretty but it has an extremely high success rate.

We need change on defense and I don't think we should be locked in on the idea of Pickard or Rodrigue. We might find a veteran looking for a shot that is due to break out as a starter that can split the games with Skinner. Only don't offer him 5x5.
Both Kulak and Ceci should go IMO.

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Trade/UFA
Broberg - UFA

I'd be fine with Desharnais as the #6 but My offer to him is 2x1.5 take it or leave it.
100% agree and hopefully we can find a taker for Nurse. Exactly what I said last offseason but Holland sat around and did dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad