Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Jesus. I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion from JJ's interview. He basically said they're looking at other options before looking at a buyout. That's the smart way to go. Look around for a potential deal where salary retention could be lower than a buyout amount.
Agreed. He literally said on Oilers Now they are trying to move Out salary to create cap space. I don’t know where this fantasy of having Campbell as our back up is coming from

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I’d say he was more than fine. He was good as a #6. And if ever given a chance could probably repciate what Ceci does as a “#4” too.
I don’t know about that he is a good number 6 but to play top 4 for at 28 years old with the foot speed he has is asking for trouble. Spot duty maybe but any longer than a few games is pushing it IMO.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think it's kind of insane that a team would sign Brown for 2m. Yeah he showed signs of life in the playoffs, but he scored 2 goals, and was awful all season.

I also kind of feel like he owes it to the Oil to cut them a break on this contract. Like I understand that's not how business works, but man, he really sucked this year, and the Oil kept throwing him out there to find his game. Any other situation, he's in the AHL by the 50 game mark.
Some team with lots of cash might be willing to gamble that he's found his form again. I think next year he can pot 15-20 while being an elite PKer, and strong on the forecheck.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
As much as it would be annoying to buyout Campbell and have that on the cap for six years, if you believe the cap is going to rise significantly over that time, I can see the logic. They really do have to do everything they can to bolster the roster for next season.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
My thought was why buy him out when it sounds like he was getting his game back towards the end of the year in the AHL. Bring him into camp and hope it works out and if not back down he goes burying half his salary along with him. I’m not 100% how close the dollar figure would be compared to a buy out but I assume it would be close and then you’re not stuck with dead cap such as the Neal buyout.
This must be a joke or you guys are drunk too early today. You want to give this ECHL star a 3rd chance?? While making 5 mill a year? He had his chance twice as a starter and he failed. He can f*** off

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Some team with lots of cash might be willing to gamble that he's found his form again. I think next year he can pot 15-20 while being an elite PKer, and strong on the forecheck.
I suppose, but there's a lot of guys out there that can be had for less if you're hoping for 15 goals.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t know about that he is a good number 6 but to play top 4 for at 28 years old with the foot speed he has is asking for trouble. Spot duty maybe but any longer than a few games is pushing it IMO.
Ideally I want someone better than Ceci at #4. But if Ceci is the measuring stick for #4s on this team, Vinny can do that job.

And he was good as a #6. Almost 2 years running now. One bad giveaway to Benn while injured and people forget his entire resume.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As much as it would be annoying to buyout Campbell and have that on the cap for six years, if you believe the cap is going to rise significantly over that time, I can see the logic. They really do have to do everything they can to bolster the roster for next season.

Edmonton would carry a cap penalty of 1.5M for 3 years past the contracts expiry date in a league that is projecting a Salary cap over 95M.

We genuinely should not be considering expending relevant assets to dump this contract when the buyout is this painless.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know where the cap space is coming from, but if people think we're actually in on Debrusk, I'd really like to see them add another forward and give Draisaitl two new options. Then have Holloway and Lavoie fill spots in the bottom six. I think you kind of have to pencil in Lavoie, it's essential that they get some production out of a guy like him, give him a chance to adjust to the NHL.
The Oilers have $10m+ now and this is before any potential Campbell buyout/Ceci trade. They'll have space to make some moves and re-sign their guys, even moreso if Henrique goes elsewhere.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Ideally I want someone better than Ceci at #4. But if Ceci is the measuring stick for #4s on this team, Vinny can do that job.

And he was good as a #6. Almost 2 years running now. One bad giveaway to Benn while injured and people forget his entire resume.
If Ceci is the measuring stick for #4s on this team we better get a new stick :laugh:. If we hope to replicate this run we need better in the top 4. That may be Broberg time will tell but I don’t think it’s VD though I love him as our number 6.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Would anyone do Nurse for Jeff Skinner?
Funny. I think Buffalo wants vet LD too I think.

Both contracts are bad. If Skinner continues to be a .5/ppg player than he’s the worst contract, but if he can get to 1/ppg with this top 6 (likely), then I’d do that do deal. Skinners buyout is also way better than Nurses if it comes to that.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
This must be a joke or you guys are drunk too early today. You want to give this ECHL star a 3rd chance?? While making 5 mill a year? He had his chance twice as a starter and he failed. He can f*** off
IMG_1312.jpeg

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I mean last year he only got to play behind Woody's failed zone defense, same as Skinner who put up even worse numbers.

It's not unthinkable that Campbell could provide quality backup tending for the time being.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Ceci is the measuring stick for #4s on this team we better get a new stick :laugh:. If we hope to replicate this run we need better in the top 4. That may be Broberg time will tell but I don’t think it’s VD though I love him as our number 6.
Yeh I’m not saying it’s VD. I’m just saying VD is fine as a 6, probably better than Ceci if given a chance. And Ceci needs to be upgraded on still. Unless we can dump Nurse, that would be an even bigger upgrade to get Nurse off this team.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Nurse is going to have to get traded next year anyway so Jackson might as well have the uncomfortable discussion with him sooner than later.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yeh I’m not saying it’s VD. I’m just saying VD is fine as a 6, probably better than Ceci if given a chance. And Ceci needs to be upgraded on still. Unless we can dump Nurse, that would be an even bigger upgrade to get Nurse off this team.
Removing Nurse would leave another huge hole but that could possibly be filled in FA Pesce please. He is still serviceable number 3 and if he can get his head back in the game we know he is capable of more. Thats a big IF though at this point as his fall in the postseason was a large one.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I mean last year he only got to play behind Woody's failed zone defense, same as Skinner who put up even worse numbers.

It's not unthinkable that Campbell could provide quality backup tending for the time being.
We should atleast give it a try. We have nothing to lose, we can still buy him out after if he still sucks behind Knob defence. But if he looks good, we might be able to trade him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Removing Nurse would leave another huge hole but that could possibly be filled in FA Pesce please. He is still serviceable number 3 and if he can get his head back in the game we know he is capable of more. Thats a big IF though at this point as his fall in the postseason was a large one.
Huge hole for sure. But huge cap savings to fill that hole. I’ve been waiting for Nurse to put it all together for years and years now. He doesn’t get better in big games he gets worse. I just can’t see the changing at this point .

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
You can only bury 1.3 or something of his salary though it’s not half. So essentially we would have almost 4 million dead cap if we bury him again.
I see
I had always thought it was 2.3 or something around that
Thank you

You save 1.1 of the cap I think it sent to the AHL (typical replacement value) so if he’s in ahl his cap hit is 3.9. You save a lot more room with a buyout
With a longer term though, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad