Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Tampa is ruthless...

Stamkos going to UFA

Though.. in reality.. Stamkos gave up money and he won the cup twice. Tampa doesn't really owe him anything. He won.

Reactions: Duder54

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think we can all agree that Holloway, Broberg, Janmark and Brown will all be back.

Assumption # 1 : 4.55M for that group of players.

I think we can all agree that Ceci will be traded. Campbell will be bought out or traded as well.

Assumption # 2: We free up 7.15 (buyout) - 8.25M (trade) in cap space.

We are going to need a couple of warm bodies in the lineup (12F/13F/7D) to round out the roster. I'm think Lane Pederson, Philip Kemp and Raphael Lavoie

Assumption # 3: 2.4M spent on fringe players

I think Pickard comes back but we might get a better 1B for Skinner this year. I think this is a pretty big gap between 800k-2M.

Assumption #4: 1M spent on a backup goaltender.

That puts us at a 20 man roster with 9.2-10.3M in cap space. Without more trades we would still need a top 6F and a top 4 defenceman.

View attachment 888549

Assumption #5: Priorities are a winger for Draisaitl and D partner for Nurse.

That means we can spend 5M on a Drai winger (Debrusk/Arvidsson/etc) and around 4M on a partner for nurse (Tanev/Walker/Carrier).

Option 1: Kane to LTIR or Trade

Moving Kane to LTIR would require some gymnastics over the season but would allow for more flexibility. It's possible he has value around the league as well. Moving on from Kane would suck come playoff time but I do question how healthy he can be when he returns. Also, with 2 years left I wonder if his money is going to McDrai long term.

Option 2: Trade Kulak

Trading Kulak would move Broberg to the left side and probably allow us to get a better top 4 defenceman to play with Nurse. It would also open the door for Desharnais to come back in that 1.5-2M range.

Option 3: Trade McLeod

Trading Mcleod wouldn't be a smart idea as we want to get younger and faster. Having said that, moving him would open the door to sign Rico as our 3C. If we are truly win now we might want the proven guy over the potential.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ceci is back and is on the third pairing. Unless Desharnais is willing to sign for less than 2, I think having 1 year left might help Ceci. I think Ceci is well liked in the room. Guess we will see.

I honestly can’t see Kane going on LTIR for the whole year. They need to either work around him or trade him imo.

Tampa is ruthless...

Stamkos going to UFA

Though.. in reality.. Stamkos gave up money and he won the cup twice. Tampa doesn't really owe him anything. He won.

Something must of happened between Stamkos and Brisebois.

Reactions: McDoused

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
We should atleast give it a try. We have nothing to lose, we can still buy him out after if he still sucks behind Knob defence. But if he looks good, we might be able to trade him.
The only concern about giving him another shot is that you only gain one year of no dead cap, and the cap will obviously be a lot higher this year if it doesn't work out.

I'd probably be in favour of buying him out now honestly, but I wouldn't think giving him another shot is as crazy as some people around here given the rancid team defense Campbell has had to endure his whole time here.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Something must of happened between Stamkos and Brisebois.

TBH I think they are just taking emotions out of it.

The easy move is to sign him. Sometimes the easy move isn't the right move.

Maybe this is just a game of chicken to get Stamkos to accept a lower term.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers have $10m+ now and this is before any potential Campbell buyout/Ceci trade. They'll have space to make some moves and re-sign their guys, even moreso if Henrique goes elsewhere.
If that's the case, I would LOVE to see Debrusk+Arvidsson/Kane/Toffoli. That's the kind of offseason that could make this team an overwhelming favourite, in the same league as Colorado from a couple of years ago.

Tampa is ruthless...

Stamkos going to UFA

Maybe he would like to spend a year playing with the best player on the planet? Knock one off the bucket list?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jesus. I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion from JJ's interview. He basically said they're looking at other options before looking at a buyout. That's the smart way to go. Look around for a potential deal where salary retention could be lower than a buyout amount.
Yep.
He said they aren’t planning on it currently but are considering it.
Which means they are looking at the other options first.
Which is good.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Tampa is ruthless...

Stamkos going to UFA

I would say the team owes him. He left millions on the table to re sign in Tampa. TO was offering 12 million if I remember correctly. To push your long time captain and cornerstone of your success to the side like that is just unthinkable to me.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The only concern about giving him another shot is that you only gain one year of no dead cap, and the cap will obviously be a lot higher this year if it doesn't work out.

I'd probably be in favour of buying him out now honestly, but I wouldn't think giving him another shot is as crazy as some people around here given the rancid team defense Campbell has had to endure his whole time here.
Actually right, I forgot that you only have a buy out window and it’s gotta be used i offseason. So if he sucks again you’re back to burying him in the AHL for a year and will need to buy out later.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I would say the team owes him. He left millions on the table to re sign in Tampa. TO was offering 12 million if I remember correctly. To push your long time captain and cornerstone of your success to the side like that is just unthinkable to me.

He left millions on the table sure... but he won 2 cups because of that.

Deal complete.

And quite frankly... with the tax situation in Florida... not sure how much he really left on the table.

Reactions: Duder54

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
With the Florida tax advantage did he really leave much on the table? It's still a heartless move if they let him walk.

Reactions: WaitingForUser

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Campbell's buyout is a 1.1M cap hit next year. Now you do need to sign another goalie to backup Skinner but if you go the pickard route again that costs you ~900k so the buyout earns you 3 million dollars more cap space. That's another significant player or two more depth players.

If you can somehow trade that contract away that's obviously even better but when management learns they can't this buyout is a no brainer.
That’s one year. You forgot all the others- especially when it’s at its highest with Bouchard and Draisaitl contracts kicking in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stupid Florida tax advantage though. I wonder how much real dollars he gave up.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So I guess so far we are only linked to Debrusk, Hayden Fleury and Pheonix Copley?
I seem to be reading conflicting statements regarding Henrique.

Has he indicated that he is moving on? He still has excellent hands but next year he is 35. One way or another the Oilers have to find some younger bodies. You would think Lavoie would be the one addition who is not currently playing with the big team but they thought so much of him last year that they put him on waivers and no one claimed him.

I don't see many "younger alternatives' waiting in the wings anywhere in the Oiler organization.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
This must be a joke or you guys are drunk too early today. You want to give this ECHL star a 3rd chance?? While making 5 mill a year? He had his chance twice as a starter and he failed. He can f*** off
You are a fan of skinner. Campbell’s worst regular season is better than Skinner’s playoff numbers. Campbell had better numbers than Skinner when he was sent down. Did you say the same thing about Skinner this playoffs?

I think Nurse is going to have to get traded next year anyway so Jackson might as well have the uncomfortable discussion with him sooner than later.
He has to. You can’t have Nurse and Bouchard making that much on your back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad