BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Must say as someone who's complained in the past about Sweeney not leaving enough room for kids to get opportunities, and often signing overpriced vets instead while he's at it, he's done a good job of leaving that space this year, especially up front.

It may turn out we'll need to add down the road, especially in the top 6, but at least guys like Lysell and Merkulov look like they're going to get their chances to shine alongside Poitras and Lohrei. Good to see.

I feel like we busted this myth a while ago? We've been promoting from within for a while now.

Freddy, Beecher, Lohrei, Charlie, Pasta, Gryz, Carlo, Sway, Poitras, Brazeau etc etc everyone came from inside the system. We tend to have more of those than the old signed vets.

There was a point there during some injuries where we had like 5 rookies in not that long ago. Even last year the cheaper guys there were 50% that were young guys (Geekie, Boqvist, etc)

Jesper Boquist with Florida...

Yesterday my spidey senses told me that was a perfect landing spot for him. Happy for him, he'll do well there.

Reactions: ylekot

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I'm still looking at Cam Atkinson and wondering if he's still got some gas in the tank. Bought out so may not ask for much on his next deal. He's a scorer, has a 40-goal season (18/19), and played at BC before going to Columbus. If he's willing to take a $1M deal or something like that he could be a solid add that can be buried if he's really cooked.

Downside is that he's really small (listed at 5'8''), but at least used to have good wheels.
NO

13 goals last year

A year of Lysell/Merk will probably get you more than that

40 goal season in 18/19 is meaningless now (remember Kevin Stevens)
JUST NO

Reactions: Gordoff

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
If they want to go the 1x1 route they did with JVR as a back up plan with someone like Atkinson that’s fine. Easy to bury or be the 13th forward. But RW2/3 or LW3 should be open for Merk or Lysell to nab.

I could also see a combo of geek/merk/beecher going in a McGroarty trade if something like that materializes.

WPG just lost another Center so Geekie or Freddy would be pretty attractive to them. Geekie more so since he’s an RFA.

maybe they won’t healthy scratch their best C prospect next year?

Reactions: Gordoff

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Zacha-EL-Pasta
Marchand-Poitras-Geekie
Freddie-Coyle-Lysell
Beecher-Kastelic-Brazzeau
Merk
Jones

I like Boqvist but they are going heavy & Merkulov needs to play

Heinen leaving sucks - what he brought was invaluable my one issue add him and they roll

DeBrusk was going in hindsight & they swap out with EL & put Zacha at wing where I like him better

They got about 250 days to trade deadline to see how it works

The D healthy being coached by Jay Leach should be very good

Get Sway in 7-8.5 M

And should be able to grab a playoff spot home Ice round 1
Great post @DKH. It seems we agree on many things

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I feel like we busted this myth a while ago? We've been promoting from within for a while now.

Freddy, Beecher, Lohrei, Charlie, Pasta, Gryz, Carlo, Sway, Poitras, Brazeau etc etc everyone came from inside the system. We tend to have more of those than the old signed vets.

There was a point there during some injuries where we had like 5 rookies in not that long ago. Even last year the cheaper guys there were 50% that were young guys (Geekie, Boqvist, etc)

Yesterday my spidey senses told me that was a perfect landing spot for him. Happy for him, he'll do well there.

Not a myth. From 2018 to 2022 precisely three prospects made the team as any sort of regulars - Frederic, Zboril and Swayman. And even Sway was only meant to be a part time filler initially until Rask returned. We saw mostly brief stints from the likes of Steen, Seny, McLaughlin, Lauko and Ahcan, but they were never first choice and constantly had to battle vets from behind and at a distinct disadvantage, contests that they usually lost as the season progressed to the serious end. That's five very lean years on the rookie front. Can argue that the talent wasn't there to do more, but doesn't change the fact that the opportunities given to guys to really have time to prove themselves were pretty thin on the ground.

It was better last year, and looks like it will be again next season. Great. Hopefully it continues to pay off.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Yeh outstanding sign to me

Their F group is fantastic

Curious about their D - they need another good guy eventually

250 to deadline Florida will hit March 2 with a stacked D even if July 2 looks wonky

Reactions: Kegs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bruins added 4 former first round picks yesterday...

Lindholm (5 - 2013)
Zadorov (16 - 2013)
Jones (24 - 2016)
Tufte (25 -2016)

Tufte seems to be missing in some projected line-ups. The dude is 6'6' 230 lbs!
I think he’ll see time in Boston at some point. Might be hard for him to make the team out of camp though. He also has some nasty to his game.

Really love what they did for Providence yesterday too. The young guys couldn’t be more protected

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Zacha-EL-Pasta
Marchand-Poitras-Geekie
Freddie-Coyle-Lysell
Merk
Jones

Heinen leaving sucks - what he brought was invaluable my one issue add him and they roll

DeBrusk was going in hindsight & they swap out with EL & put Zacha at wing where I like him better

Get Sway in 7-8.5 M

I see endless possibilities and I like Max Jones as the 4th line left wing. He brings a physical/agitating element that I think their looking for. Beecher and Kastelic swapping in and out depending on opponent and the way their playing. I also think Kuntar just may surprise and earn a chance, but I guess that would all depends on how Lysell and Merkulov do. Brazzeau is a I guy who I could see stealing that second line RW spot, just when everyone thinks its lysell or Merkulov to win. Geekie I like, but to me he's best suited as a 3rd liner who can play up when needed, and I'm hoping thats where he's at, because if he is someone has stepped up.

Poitras I belive will start out at 3rd line center Under Lindholm and Coyle and progressively earn the 2nd line center moving forward, but I dont see him starting out there from the get-go. Great season ahead, this team as of now is built for play-off Hockey!

Big time physicality on the backend for the first time since the days of Mcquaid, Boychuk,Miller and Big Z. Teams will fear entering the bruins zone and will have to keep their heads up with Chucky, Peeke and Zadarov. Bring on the playoffs... Stanley is returning to Boston!

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I agree about Coyle as the 2C.

My hope is that by the playoff someone steps up enough to allow Zacha to play 2C and Coyle 3C.

Just for example.

What if Lysell hits?

Maybe it’s:

Marchand Lindholm Pasta
Frederic Zacha Lysell
Geekie Coyle Poitras

9 months away. A lot can happen.
We need Lysell or Merc to blossom this year. Like Marchand did in 2010

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You just can't get quality analysis like you get from Maz here. He openly admits to knowing nothing about hockey , and then goes on to talk about how EL contract is too high
I would not give these two dickhead the pleasure of me opening that video. We have to have the worst hockey minds in the big markets that have original six teams talking hockey on the air waves.

Unlistenable and embarrassing for a city that has the Boston Bruins

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see endless possibilities and I like Max Jones as the 4th line left wing. He brings a physical/agitating element that I think their looking for. Beecher and Kastelic swapping in and out depending on opponent and the way their playing. I also think Kuntar just may surprise and earn a chance, but I guess that would all depends on how Lysell and Merkulov do. Brazzeau is a I guy who I could see stealing that second line RW spot, just when everyone thinks its lysell or Merkulov to win. Geekie I like, but to me he's best suited as a 3rd liner who can play up when needed, and I'm hoping thats where he's at, because if he is someone has stepped up.

Poitras I belive will start out at 3rd line center Under Lindholm and Coyle and progressively earn the 2nd line center moving forward, but I dont see him starting out there from the get-go. Great season ahead, this team as of now is built for play-off Hockey!

Big time physicality on the backend for the first time since the days of Mcquaid, Boychuk,Miller and Big Z. Teams will fear entering the bruins zone and will have to keep their heads up with Chucky, Peeke and Zadarov. Bring on the playoffs... Stanley is returning to Boston!
Pretty much yah

Going to be a couple Zadorov/McAvoy shifts going to look like a bowling alley out there

I hope they use Viel

He would have been a legend in the 70 & 80’s

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Pretty much yah

Going to be a couple Zadorov/McAvoy shifts going to look like a bowling alley out there

I hope they use Viel

He would have been a legend in the 70 & 80’s
I think Brazeau will be fighting to make the team, nice story last season just don't see him as a shoe in.

Jones is going to be a regular and would not be surprised to see them give him a shot to play up on the third.

The kid brings the nasty we miss on most nights, he's a asshole.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I love Brazeau's hands & smarts but do you think he's fast enough for 2RW? :dunno:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I just saw a video released by the Bruins showing the brain trust in the room at the kickoff of FA at noon yesterday. Why does everything have to be videoed? It’s awkward and weird. But more importantly I think it becomes a potential distraction at a time when I think we need all brains concentrating at the important task at hand. To me it’s sorta like when they “mic up” players on The ice.

Reactions: BBruins and Ladyfan

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Zacha-EL-Pasta
Marchand-Poitras-Geekie
Freddie-Coyle-Lysell
Merk
Jones

Get Sway in 7-8.5 M

Has Poitras beefed up any? He looked like a featherweight out there during his brief tenure last season.

They’re gonna have to do better than Geekie on the 2nd line.

If Donnie doesn’t pull a rabbit out of his hat on that the (deserved) criticism is that he wasted money unnecessarily on a backup goalie instead of getting legit 2nd line winger.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Brazeau will be fighting to make the team, nice story last season just don't see him as a shoe in.

Jones is going to be a regular and would not be surprised to see them give him a shot to play up on the third.

The kid brings the nasty we miss on most nights, he's an asshole.
Haha

He comes in with Ducks and I’m thinking same - what’s up with him? Bust ? He’s an ahole in real life (my thinking may be 180 off) so I just watch him and think ‘hmm….he looks pretty good’

so I’m more then game for this

If Lysell & Poitras hit and are top 9 players in any form the Bruins are in great shape

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think the middle six will be a blender for a bit and probably getting equal 5 on 5 TOI, but that Marchand and Coyle will get plenty of special teams minutes to bump their totals. The argument that Frederic and Coyle should be a pair, and Poitras and Lysell should not be one kind of forces this initial set of lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad