Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
They blew it up at the deadline for Ovy hen 2 years later for Backstrom they were in a rebuild off the lockout. They didn’t go into either season not trying to compete. They didn’t tank last season for Leonard, the wheels just came off and they didn’t fight it.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Made this to compare some of the top D that are either UFAs or names I've heard tossed around here and other places. Sean Walker's probably the one that I was the most positively surprised by, I'd viewed him as just an offensive type but he seems pretty well-rounded. Matt Roy's still my top choice for RHD but Walker could be a sneaky good signing, especially if that contract projection is right.

D Targets.png

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I honestly thought Walker had another year left, I watched a lot of Avs games down the stretch and he looked really strong.

Seems kind of under the radar compared to the bigger names so maybe could even get him at a good cost.

Reactions: um

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We did not tank for Ovechkin and Backstrom.
Are you kidding me? The year we drafted Ovi we sold the entire team at the deadline and we were playing Matthew Yeatz in net at the end of the season and iced a team with guys like Josef Boumedienne, Joel Kwiatkowski, Jason Doug, Rick Berry and JeanLuc GrandPierre playing on D. That's the literal definition of tanking.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
They blew it up at the deadline for Ovy hen 2 years later for Backstrom they were in a rebuild off the lockout. They didn’t go into either season not trying to compete. They didn’t tank last season for Leonard, the wheels just came off and they didn’t fight it.
Right. That's the point.

It's not tanking if you blow up your lineup to cap off 3 years of dismantling the roster in the process of a proper rebuild. You know you're going to lose, but you have to do it anyway. You don't do it in order to lose. Tanking isn't just another way of saying "sucking". It's intentional losing. That is for losers and anyone even suggesting it unironically should be mocked and ridiculed.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Right. That's the point.

It's not tanking if you blow up your lineup to cap off 3 years of dismantling the roster in the process of a proper rebuild. You know you're going to lose, but you have to do it anyway. You don't do it in order to lose. Tanking isn't just another way of saying "sucking". It's intentional losing. That is for losers and anyone even suggesting it unironically should be mocked and ridiculed.
So you think Matthew Yeatz put in the hard work and dedication and earned his shot at the end of the year?

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
So you think Matthew Yeatz put in the hard work and dedication and earned his shot at the end of the year?
Sure. He had a .928 save percentage in his 7 AHL games, so why not see what you've got there? We also gave our other 3 goalie prospects a look, if you recall. We gave 4 young goalies a chance to prove themselves and he did 2nd best. But that was not an instance of tanking. Olie wouldn't have played 63 games that year if we were tanking.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Are you kidding me? The year we drafted Ovi we sold the entire team at the deadline and we were playing Matthew Yeatz in net at the end of the season and iced a team with guys like Josef Boumedienne, Joel Kwiatkowski, Jason Doug, Rick Berry and JeanLuc GrandPierre playing on D. That's the literal definition of tanking.
Don’t remind me of Jason Doig.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Sure. He had a .928 save percentage in his 7 AHL games, so why not see what you've got there? We also gave our other 3 goalie prospects a look, if you recall. We gave 4 young goalies a chance to prove themselves and he did 2nd best. But that was not an instance of tanking. Olie wouldn't have played 63 games that year if we were tanking.
Denial is such a sweet sweet poison.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
McPhee and Co. just took the tanking up a level...the coach had nothing to win with and it was blatantly obvious they were looking to get a top-2 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00