Preds lines for next season right now

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah I think Glass is the guy that will be out. That's 2.5 million you free up for a guy that got jumped in the playoffs when time came. I think if Trotz has no takers he just waives him or does the ole future considerations thing.
I still think since we're over the Cap now (with a full roster projection anyway), nobody will do us the favor of taking Glass for free. Can't hurt to waive him and find out. But I'm not paying somebody a 2nd round pick to take him.

Which is why I'm afraid that Fabbro would be more likely the one to go. There is always a market for a young RHD. Some team must have got shut out on FA day and would be happy to take him off our hands, and even give us a pick for him. :(

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I still think since we're over the Cap now (with a full roster projection anyway), nobody will do us the favor of taking Glass for free. Can't hurt to waive him and find out. But I'm not paying somebody a 2nd round pick to take him.

Which is why I'm afraid that Fabbro would be more likely the one to go. There is always a market for a young RHD. Some team must have got shut out on FA day and would be happy to take him off our hands, and even give us a pick for him. :(
And who replaces Fabbro at RHD? Trotz spoke yesterday about his primary objective of yesterday was to make the defense better. Trading Fabbro makes it worse.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
And who replaces Fabbro at RHD? Trotz spoke yesterday about his primary objective of yesterday was to make the defense better. Trading Fabbro makes it worse.
I agree with you that losing Fabbro would hurt us. But I don't feel like Trotz would think so... at least based on the way they use Fabbro (or rather, don't) it doesn't seem like they think losing him would make the defense worse. Unfortunately. :dunno:

Josi-Schenn
Skjei-Carrier
Stastney-Lauzon
Del Gaizo

... is probably just as good from the way they look at Fabbro as anything else. :(

Reactions: Scoresberg

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I agree with you that losing Fabbro would hurt us. But I don't feel like Trotz would think so... at least based on the way they use Fabbro (or rather, don't) it doesn't seem like they think losing him would make the defense worse. Unfortunately. :dunno:

Josi-Schenn
Skjei-Carrier
Stastney-Lauzon
Del Gaizo

... is probably just as good from the way they look at Fabbro as anything else. :(
Last year's usage also was partly due to having both McDonagh and Barrie on the roster. Both are gone and were replaced with only 1 player assuming they don't start Stastney and/or Del Gaizo in Nashville.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Last year's usage also was partly due to having both McDonagh and Barrie on the roster. Both are gone and were replaced with only 1 player assuming they don't start Stastney and/or Del Gaizo in Nashville.
Stastney had jumped Fabbro in the depth chart to end last season.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You might be quite disappointed with Stamkos’ even strength play. Kuch carried him when they played on the same line not at all the other way around. I love Stamkos but he doesn’t bring that much to the table even strength anymore.
We don't need his even strength play. Our PP was ass last year. As long as he produces on the PP we will be happy.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

Josi-Schenn
Skjei-Carrier
Stastney-Lauzon
Del Gaizo

Trading Fabbro+Glass for a center, signing Brannstron/Boqvist/, and being active on the trade market as soon as a Schenn upgrade presents itself works for me. I'd prep they keep Fabbro and actually play him, but if they won't, I think this is survivable untl the trade deadline.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trading Fabbro only hurts us if you think Fabbro is good. Personally i think he is acceptable.

Brunette didnt utilize Fabbro that much... some of the fewest minutes per game of all the dmen that played for us last season. I personally dont understand Brunette's usage choices but it is what it is. If they dont intend to use him this season or extend him, then that is an expensive healthy scratch.

Same can be said for glass. If we arent going to use them, then that is a combined 5.0 million in cap for healthy scratches.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Trading Fabbro only hurts us if you think Fabbro is good. Personally i think he is acceptable.
My biggest thing with Fabbro is that Josi had his best season when paired with Fabbro.

Unrelated to that, Fabbro while from BC, grew up a Preds fan due to Shea Weber. Not sure the team has had many if any other players that fit that category and his sister went to school here also so there's another local connection.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Brunette didnt utilize Fabbro that much... some of the fewest minutes per game of all the dmen that played for us last season. I personally dont understand Brunette's usage choices but it is what it is. If they dont intend to use him this season or extend him, then that is an expensive healthy scratch.

Same can be said for glass. If we arent going to use them, then that is a combined 5.0 million in cap for healthy scratches.
Both of Glass and Fabbro play better if you give them regular icetime with regular linemates/partner, so that they don't have to walk on eggshells feeling their next mistake puts them in the pressbox. Of course, it would be nicer if players had the confidence and could play well even through periods of inconsistent usage... then the coach would like them better and be more likely to actually grant them that regular usage. So there are chickens and eggs involved.

But as you say, it is what it is at this point. If we aren't going to actually make the most of them, that's too much money to tie up in healthy scratches. Now that we're a Cap team again, anyway.

I personally have a lot more confidence in Fabbro being a solid NHL player elsewhere in the league than I do in Glass. But you've got a RHD and a center, both fairly young, no term/commitment remaining, so they ordinarily shouldn't be impossible assets to move. If you could move both, then indeed there will be replacement-level leftovers on the UFA market that could be signed to plug the rosters spots more cheaply. Grab whoever is desperate enough for a near league-minimum 1-yr contract (Schultz, Schmidt, Boqvist, Brannstrom, whoever on D, some character forward up front like Johnson, Okposo, Clutterbuck). Two vets at $1.6M total that the coaching staff might actually use is probably better for us than $5M on Glass and Fabbro, alas. :(

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Both of Glass and Fabbro play better if you give them regular icetime with regular linemates/partner, so that they don't have to walk on eggshells feeling their next mistake puts them in the pressbox. Of course, it would be nicer if players had the confidence and could play well even through periods of inconsistent usage... then the coach would like them better and be more likely to actually grant them that regular usage. So there are chickens and eggs involved.

But as you say, it is what it is at this point. If we aren't going to actually make the most of them, that's too much money to tie up in healthy scratches. Now that we're a Cap team again, anyway.

I personally have a lot more confidence in Fabbro being a solid NHL player elsewhere in the league than I do in Glass. But you've got a RHD and a center, both fairly young, no term/commitment remaining, so they ordinarily shouldn't be impossible assets to move. If you could move both, then indeed there will be replacement-level leftovers on the UFA market that could be signed to plug the rosters spots more cheaply. Grab whoever is desperate enough for a near league-minimum 1-yr contract (Schultz, Schmidt, Boqvist, Brannstrom, whoever on D, some character forward up front like Johnson, Okposo, Clutterbuck). Two vets at $1.6M total that the coaching staff might actually use is probably better for us than $5M on Glass and Fabbro, alas. :(
At this point, i just feel that Brunette/Trotz have made up their minds on certain players (Glass, Fabbro, Tomasino). If you want to open up enough capspace to fill out the team with the least impact, you trade the 1st two and give the 3rd a cheap 1 year show-me contract.

The other possible choices would have a higher impact on the team's productivity - Sissons, Nyquist, and Novak. There would be pros/cons to trading them including getting an actual return but would have a bigger impact on the roster given their usage.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Given the uncertainty down the middle, the first call I would make would be to Carolina to see if a trade can be made with Necas coming to Nashville and Novak going to Carolina as the core parts of the package.

I would expect Nashville to have to add to that, especially if Necas is extended as part of the deal. Those additions could potentially include Fabbro and perhaps a prospect or pick. If Nashville really sweetens the pot, perhaps they take Glass as well since they do have a decent amount of cap space.

Necas would seem to be a better fit for the all-in approach the Predators seem to be going with, would slot in quite nicely as the 2C, and is $750K cheaper this upcoming year as well.

On the flip side, I think both Novak and Fabbro would be great fits on Carolina.

As for Necas, wanting a bigger role, he would be playing with at least one of Forsberg, Stamkos, and Marchessault. It's also possible that he takes O'Reilly's role on the PP as well- or at least partially so.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Given the uncertainty down the middle, the first call I would make would be to Carolina to see if a trade can be made with Necas coming to Nashville and Novak going to Carolina as the core parts of the package.

I would expect Nashville to have to add to that, especially if Necas is extended as part of the deal. Those additions could potentially include Fabbro and perhaps a prospect or pick. If Nashville really sweetens the pot, perhaps they take Glass as well since they do have a decent amount of cap space.

Necas would seem to be a better fit for the all-in approach the Predators seem to be going with, would slot in quite nicely as the 2C, and is $750K cheaper this upcoming year as well.

On the flip side, I think both Novak and Fabbro would be great fits on Carolina.
Isn't Necas an RFA who wants like $8M a year? I don't think we could make that work? Novak+Fabbro+Glass basically covers the Necas salary, but then doesn't solve our current Cap crunch at all. Not that I imagine Carolina taking that package unless we add in 1sts and/or top prospects additionally maybe. But I'm not seeing how Necas is going to work out for us? :dunno:

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I guess I’m in an extreme minority. I actually think we will see an uptick in Stamkos 5v5 play this season based off of last season’s performance of O’Reilly and Nyquist playing under Brunette. No one expected those two to have the years they did but here we are. I may be being overly optimistic but if Brunette can get those results out of O’Reilly and Nyquist why can’t he do the same with Stamkos and Marchessault?

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess I’m in an extreme minority. I actually think we will see an uptick in Stamkos 5v5 play this season based off of last season’s performance of O’Reilly and Nyquist playing under Brunette. No one expected those two to have the years they did but here we are. I may be being overly optimistic but if Brunette can get those results out of O’Reilly and Nyquist why can’t he do the same with Stamkos and Marchessault?
I think you will for no other reason than he will have a chip on his shoulder because of the way he feels Tampa did him.

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder what the odds are that the Preds try to use Stamkos at center? My impression from all reports out of TB is that they don't believe he can play center anymore. He may take some faceoffs, but doesn't move well enough or play well enough 5v5 to stick there. But I don't really see them using Novak, Glass, or Parssinen as 2C either.

Personally, I still like the idea of Parssinen there. Novak was exposed later in the season as a bit of a fraud for a long-term center spot, and I just don't have faith at all in Glass anymore. But I can definitely see the Preds wanting to try Stamkos.

O'Reilly, Sissons, and McCarron are not exactly fleet of foot either. Regardless if it's Parssinen or Stamkos, we're not going to have fast centers!

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Isn't Necas an RFA who wants like $8M a year? I don't think we could make that work? Novak+Fabbro+Glass basically covers the Necas salary, but then doesn't solve our current Cap crunch at all. Not that I imagine Carolina taking that package unless we add in 1sts and/or top prospects additionally maybe. But I'm not seeing how Necas is going to work out for us? :dunno:

Necas is an RFA, going into year 2 of a 2x$3 contract. He scored 24G, 29A, and 53pts last year. He may be asking for $8 per year, but I don't see anyone giving him that. If that's a non-starter, then so be it.

But a bridge deal of 3x$6-6.5, leaving him at 28 and a UFA for his next contract? That's both very reasonable, very doable, and definitely gives Necas a chance to maximize his next contract if things work out with other additions.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Necas is an RFA, going into year 2 of a 2x$3 contract. He scored 24G, 29A, and 53pts last year. He may be asking for $8 per year, but I don't see anyone giving him that. If that's a non-starter, then so be it.

But a bridge deal of 3x$6-6.5, leaving him at 28 and a UFA for his next contract? That's both very reasonable, very doable, and definitely gives Necas a chance to maximize his next contract if things work out with other additions.
You might want to double-check that.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wonder what the odds are that the Preds try to use Stamkos at center? My impression from all reports out of TB is that they don't believe he can play center anymore. He may take some faceoffs, but doesn't move well enough or play well enough 5v5 to stick there. But I don't really see them using Novak, Glass, or Parssinen as 2C either.

Personally, I still like the idea of Parssinen there. Novak was exposed later in the season as a bit of a fraud for a long-term center spot, and I just don't have faith at all in Glass anymore. But I can definitely see the Preds wanting to try Stamkos.

O'Reilly, Sissons, and McCarron are not exactly fleet of foot either. Regardless if it's Parssinen or Stamkos, we're not going to have fast centers!
They said O'Reilly was a shell of himself and look how that went. Stamkos may indeed not be good enough for it anymore but I suspect they try it anyways.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN

If they keep Novak, I think they do try him at 2C first. Give him a chance with really strong players. Stamkos might take the draws (for which he is very good) and then rotate, but Novak has the speed and playmaking to make it work.

His disappearance in the playoffs is certainly concerning hence my thoughts regarding swapping him (plus) for Necas.

On paper, Novak's skills fit with the goal scorers that Stamkos and Marchessault are. If he's here, I suspect he gets the first shot.

You might want to double-check that.
Woops. You are correct and Necas is currently an RFA. So they would have to ensure that Fabbro or Glass goes (or both). Certainly makes it tougher.

It's still a call I'd make though.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
You remember went Trotz was coach and we complained about 'line blender' and the coach played 52 card pick up with the line up?

I think this team could do that and it would still look good.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
You might be quite disappointed with Stamkos’ even strength play. Kuch carried him when they played on the same line not at all the other way around. I love Stamkos but he doesn’t bring that much to the table even strength anymore.
Barry gave him big money so I trust in Barry.

Just like when I said I didn’t love the Surin pick, but everyone told me I’m not an nhl gm and need to trust the system so I’m following suit. You should do the same with stammer. Barry is smarter with hockey than all of us hence his job title.

I am even not hating the surin pick anymore I was just bummed because I wanted Letourneau badly. Time will tell.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Its like they love Cody Glass the human being but far less the Hockey player ...
There is no way he is stll in Nashville come september

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad