Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
You guys are insane, truly. I don't know what you imagine these players to be, but they seem to resemble nothing like the actual player.

I mean I guess I hope you're right? I would pay him $2+M to score 20+ goals and get 40+ points, without issues.
it looks like that entire Buffalo team had a drop in their numbers from the year before, Skinner was a PPG guy in 22/23

he's gotten his money and has never played in the playoffs, the Oilers would be a good spot for him to land to get a shot at the cup and inflate his numbers for a season

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I have always liked Skinner. He would be a beast in our top 6. We have talked about having a trigger man and he is definitely one.

I like Skinner but I think he might be a bit soft for playoff hockey

However, if he’s motivated (he should be), and fits into Knob’s system etc, I think he could end up being an excellent impact player.

Easier to teach defence than offence

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Mark me down for Jeff Skinner if the deal is reasonable.

He’s never been in a winning environment. He’s never been on a good team. He’s already good and could he better in a better environment.

Would solve the top 6 hole we’ve had ALL year. Would give Drai someone legit skilled and good at hockey to produce with when he’s away from McD.

No playoffs experience. So we don’t know what we are getting in that front. But Skinner, seems like he could be a gamer type. Who knows he could be a complete playoff beast. Janmark was out of nowhere.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

However, if he’s motivated (he should be), and fits into Knob’s system etc, I think he could end up being an excellent impact player.

Look up Jeff Skinner and suspended.

He's not a destroying, but he's not soft. You guys are confusing "soft" with not tall.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I really hope we can move Campbell without a buy out. I just hate dead cap. But the asset cost to move him probably isn’t that likely.

I think they really need to consider moving Nurse. Once again I think it’s unlikely and difficult but I think it needs to be explored.
NHL fans just need to be more willing to accept dead cap.

NFL fans accept it, mainly because you can restructure players to free up cap space, but it's really borrowing against future cap, which is what the buyout allows you to do.

Unless a player has Signing bonus money, they will earn their 1st year and then 2/3 of their remaining contract. That is what is fully guaranteed upon signing. NFL it's the SB and any other guarantees that are set in stone at the time of signing. NFL, they take the dead cap within 2 years and are done.
But, easier to have draft picks step in and play in the NFL. Not happening in the NHL.

Campbell and Nurse each have issues when it comes to getting traded. Campbell, because he's a goalie, he's either playing or not. Can't limit his matchups like a skater. Nurse, it's almost all SB in years 5-8 of his contract.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Tanner Jeannot may be available ... Could we get him as a Foegle replacement?
To me, he is the kind of depth guy we were missing in the playoffs ... He is very tough and would be handy to deal with Zadorov, Soucy, Bennet types.
His cap hit is $2.665 million so I don't know how that compares to his current value or how we manage that but I like players like him when things get nasty ...
He could replace Kane too maybe… the physicality part anyways. In terms of tough guys he’s a true alpha in this league, isn’t he?

I’d like to look into why he’s been such a failure in TBay though. And I’d like to see how he did against FLA. But on the surface it’s an interesting idea.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I’m not really sure he’s overly soft though. He has also never had an opportunity to show if he can take his game to another level.

I think Skinner playing on a contender for the first time in his career on a line with the best passers in the world would absolutely feast.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In McDavid's current deal, we missed the playoffs 3 times, got swept in the first round by the Jets, made the playoffs 4 times and the 4th time the Oilers make the finals. I'm happy we made the finals but that's not that great considering we have the 3rd best player of all time
Though what does this have to do with where they are now? Over the last three years with a tight cap the Oilers have won more playoff games than any team but Florida. There is no reason that they cannot remain a contender if they retain most of the current roster.

Even with the numbers being quoted with some smart moves and careful management of the cap they could improve the roster from where it is right now. This would probably mean that some of the prospects like Broberg and Holloway would have to continue to improve and be signed to cheap deals.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He could replace Kane too maybe… the physicality part anyways. In terms of tough guys he’s a true alpha in this league, isn’t he?

I’d like to look into why he’s been such a failure in TBay though. And I’d like to see how he did against FLA. But on the surface it’s an interesting idea.
We need players who can play. Jeannot is pressbox material these days. If Kane demands a trade. Just sign Debrusk and be done with it

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We need players who can play. Jeannot is pressbox material these days. If Kane demands a trade. Just sign Debrusk and be done with it
We also still need any enforcer element if Kane isn’t up to the task. Or if it just makes more sense to have 2.6M in that role instead of 5M.

We probably need a top 6 option more though. Are we in a spot where only one new forward could be considered? If so, focus on the top 6 guy. If Skinner is cheaper than Debrusk, I’d probably take him.

I think he'll get paid it seems.

Yeh. Kinda had to think a life long Anaheimer and someone at a 5M cap hit wasn’t going to be back. I never thought he was gonna resign when we first got him, nor could we afford him. Carrick maybe though.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Though what does this have to do with where they are now? Over the last three years with a tight cap the Oilers have won more playoff games than any team but Florida. There is no reason that they cannot remain a contender if they retain most of the current roster.

Even with the numbers being quoted with some smart moves and careful management of the cap they could improve the roster from where it is right now. This would probably mean that some of the prospects like Broberg and Holloway would have to continue to improve and be signed to cheap deals.
McDavid and Drai are already slowing down physically. It's clear as day. McDavid is slower even before the injury. I don't know how many more years they have left in their prime. I'm not sure some of you guys are comfortable with 16M for McDavid and 14M for Drai and still call it a discount. That's insanity. Broberg and Holloway won't be cheap for much longer. Look at how much Bouchard is going to make? He went from 1M to 9M in 3 years and he has warts.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, easily played defense better in 4 or 5 of the games, and I could see the argument for 6.

Well I did watch the games, and Stu lost 2 games in the finals for the team, full stop. Yes, he won 1 game as well, but if you are -1 due to goaltending, its a problem. Stu needed 1 more save in game 7, a relatively easy save at that, and didn't make it, and that was the difference in the series.
Not singling you out Mcjadeddog, as there are quite a few that are mostly blaming Stew for the parade being postponed for another year. I wasn't happy that he let in the game winner, he should have had that one, Kulak had to cover the pass as they gave up a 3x2 to start. Drai almost made the backcheck. But we seem to always have a goalie that will give up a bad goal in more games than not. But our superstars and their buddies Nuge, Hyman and Bouchard didn't get a fkn point in the game. For the most part they didn't do much in the final series. Yes there were some injuries but I'm sure that every team does.

Again not directed only at McJadeddog. And I'm not the biggest Stew fan but he wasn't the only reason we lost in game 7 of the finals. Which is farther than I thought they would go even in round two.

You aren't the first responder to suggest this but I would really like to see somebody show their work on this one.

View attachment 887515

Some of our depth players can claim their fair share of the credit for an elite penalty kill but 5v5 the Oilers were flat out bad when their stars weren't out there. McDavid and Bouchard were so insane that we almost won anyways.
I'm interested to see that for the finals, will still be off as there were two high scoring games for them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How much is Holloway expected to make? ELC is over. Still hasn’t done much in Regular season but has now finally established himself as an NHLer permanently.

If we could lock down 2-3 years at 1.5M that would be great. But more realistically he probably does a 1 year 1.xxM show me like Yamo did, setting himself up for stupid arbitration award.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We also still need any enforcer element if Kane isn’t up to the task. Or if it just makes more sense to have 2.6M in that role instead of 5M.

We probably need a top 6 option more though. Are we in a spot where only one new forward could be considered? If so, focus on the top 6 guy. If Skinner is cheaper than Debrusk, I’d probably take him.

Yeh. Kinda had to think a life long Anaheimer and someone at a 5M cap hit wasn’t going to be back. I never thought he was gonna resign when we first got him, nor could we afford him. Carrick maybe though.
I don’t mind Carrick but he’s doesn’t add much really either. We’re going to need a 3C and 4C if Henrique isn’t back. I personally think McLeod is more of a winger.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Well Rico is leaving sadly. Or testing the market to be more specific according to Pagnotta. I wish he'd stay

We still have our eyes on Sean Walker? Not sure why. He was awful with Colorado

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not singling you out Mcjadeddog, as there are quite a few that are mostly blaming Stew for the parade being postponed for another year. I wasn't happy that he let in the game winner, he should have had that one, Kulak had to cover the pass as they gave up a 3x2 to start. Drai almost made the backcheck. But we seem to always have a goalie that will give up a bad goal in more games than not. But our superstars and their buddies Nuge, Hyman and Bouchard didn't get a fkn point in the game. For the most part they didn't do much in the final series. Yes there were some injuries but I'm sure that every team does.

Again not directed only at McJadeddog. And I'm not the biggest Stew fan but he wasn't the only reason we lost in game 7 of the finals. Which is farther than I thought they would go even in round two.

I'm interested to see that for the finals, will still be off as there were two high scoring games for them.
That 3 on 2 wasn't dangerous at all. 2 of our players were covering 2 of Florida players, leaving Skinner to challenge Reinhart's shot. That shot Skinner should have had if he was closer to the post as there no was danger on Skinner's right side.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t mind Carrick but he’s doesn’t add much really either. We’re going to need a 3C and 4C if Henrique isn’t back. I personally think McLeod is more of a winger.
Yeh I’m good if he’s gone or back. I’d like to think that some of that 1st round value we sent away converts to a longer term stay though for one of the guys. But whatever, if there’s better options out there than Carrick then just do that.

Yeh I’m still on the fence with Mcleod. He does his job defensively as a 3C but struggles to produce. He produces more on Drais wing, but why don’t we just get a natural top 6 winger for Drai. 3Cs like Henrique are expensive too, and Mcleod remains cheap.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That 3 on 2 wasn't dangerous at all. 2 of our players were covering 2 of Florida players, leaving Skinner to challenge Reinhart's shot. That shot Skinner should have had if he was closer to the post as there no was danger on Skinner's right side.
It was dangerous. Kulak gave up his gap, Ceci and Kulak decided to cover the same guy. Reinhart, the 3rd best goal scorer in the Leafue walked in with time and space and picked a spot.

It’s a saveable shot still. But it’s still a high danger. By shot location alone. Add time and space. Add the quality of shooter. And it’s a high danger.

Reactions: Faelko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad