Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
That 3 on 2 wasn't dangerous at all. 2 of our players were covering 2 of Florida players, leaving Skinner to challenge Reinhart's shot. That shot Skinner should have had if he was closer to the post as there no was danger on Skinner's right side.
I said he should have had that one. But you can't tell me he is the only reason they lost. We only needed one more goal to bust Bob, Panthers were fragile.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm interested to see that for the finals, will still be off as there were two high scoring games for them.

1719425306479.png

Depth was better against Florida but still a liability. Bouchard was still strong analytically but surrendered more actual goals which IMO matches up with the general fan opinion that he had a relatively weak finals. McDavid was matchup dependent but slaughtered anyone that wasn't Barkov.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not sure it really works like that honestly. Bouchard isn’t really a “battler” and he had a great playoffs. Rodrigues was probably Floridas most effective forward in the finals and he’s not exactly ball buster. Jake DeBrusk etc.

I am not advocating for JSkinner necessarily but this team should be looking to add some talent if its affordable.

But McLeod was buttery soft so what you saying isn’t wrong either.
I've got plenty of time for guys like E-Rod and Debrusk. They both skate hard and get in on the forecheck. E-Rod might have been the best guy on the Panthers at winning pucks with his body and turning it into offense.

It's guys like Skinner that think forechecking is skating 10 feet away from the guy and waving their stick at the puck that I don't have time for.

It's the same reason why McLeod needs to be fired into the sun.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It was dangerous. Kulak gave up his gap, Ceci and Kulak decided to cover the same guy. Reinhart, the 3rd best goal scorer in the Leafue walked in with time and space and picked a spot.

It’s a saveable shot still. But it’s still a high danger. By shot location alone. Add time and space. Add the quality of shooter. And it’s a high danger.
The shot is from the top circle. That was a lot of room Skinner left open. Reinhart had no business scoring there. It was a 3 on 2 and Kulak played it like it was a 3 on 2. Two Oilers on the other two Florida guys and Skinner challenging Reinhart. It only look like 3 on 3 and Kulak covering the same guy because Foegele caught up last minute.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The shot is from the top circle. That was a lot of room Skinner left open. Reinhart had no business scoring there. It was a 3 on 2 and Kulak played it like it was a 3 on 2. Two Oilers on the other two Florida guys and Skinner challenging Reinhart. It only look like 3 on 3 and Kulak covering the same guy because Drai caught up last minute.

Again, Kulak needs to take away his space, he's not covering the guy in the middle except for in error. Skinner probably should have found a way to stop it, Leon also tips it as well.

Who f***ing cares, they scored one goal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The shot is from the top circle. That was a lot of room Skinner left open. Reinhart had no business scoring there. It was a 3 on 2 and Kulak played it like it was a 3 on 2. Two Oilers on the other two Florida guys and Skinner challenging Reinhart. It only look like 3 on 3 and Kulak covering the same guy because Foegele caught up last minute.

Yeh Kulak still let him walk right in. When Ceci and Drai (if he kept skating) could have covered the other guy. Also a fly by screen there. And time and space from the circle with Reinhart shooting is still dangerous. It’s still a save that can be expected though. But we gave up a high danger. Regardless, it was 1GA in a 2-1 game. Skinner did his job that night keeping it to 2.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Again, Kulak needs to take away his space, he's not covering the guy in the middle except for in error. Skinner probably should have found a way to stop it, Leon also tips it as well.

Who f***ing cares, they scored one goal.
Kulak was supposed to cover the guy in the middle. It was a 3 on 2. It's Ceci who should be covering Barkov

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think it was close to 1.3 by the time it was all said and done but we were trying to keep as much possible for the Brown bonus
Hmm with so much continued shuffling we did to find linemates for Drai. Would have been nice to truly go all in and get that one extra skilled winger.

Reactions: Duke74

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid and Drai are already slowing down physically. It's clear as day. McDavid is slower even before the injury. I don't know how many more years they have left in their prime. I'm not sure some of you guys are comfortable with 16M for McDavid and 14M for Drai and still call it a discount. That's insanity. Broberg and Holloway won't be cheap for much longer. Look at how much Bouchard is going to make? He went from 1M to 9M in 3 years and he has warts.
An injured McDavid just put up 42 points in the playoffs. In doing so his top speed, overall speed bursts and total distance skated were 99th percentile. In fact his top speed these playoffs was faster than it was in the 2022 playoffs. His top speed in the regular season was also slightly faster than it was in the 2021-2022 season. Suggesting that it is clear as day that he is slowing down is pretty hard to justify.

Under normal circumstances the current revenue numbers would dictate a cap in teh mid 90's or more. This has been limited by the need to resolve the covid issue. But it will have to return to normal soon. The one big unkown going forward is what happens with the next CBA. It is possible that there is an agreement to limit escrow my modifying the formula for calculating the ceiling. If that happens though there will probably have to be some other modification to the existing cap calculation.

In any case though once all of the core is signed you should have lots of options going forward. The cap would probably rise by $5M+ per year.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Look up Jeff Skinner and suspended.

He's not a destroying, but he's not soft. You guys are confusing "soft" with not tall.

I probably should have said "not defensively responsible enough and not much of a forechecker" instead of "soft".

I’m not really sure he’s overly soft though. He has also never had an opportunity to show if he can take his game to another level.

I think Skinner playing on a contender for the first time in his career on a line with the best passers in the world would absolutely feast.

I'm not worried about him scoring goals here, I just wonder about his level of intensity with regards to two way play. But I do think that could also be taught / instilled at this point

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
2 on 2 Kulak has to take the puck carrier. Not on 3 on 2. You let your goalie challenge the guy with the puck.
It’s really simple. Both Ceci and Kulak covered the same guy, the net front driver. 2 defenceman don’t need to be on the same net front driver. You don’t need double coverage on a guy looking to screen your goalie. There was a defensive f***up on this play. That’s a fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad