Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I've been living at a lake for the past ten years. Best decision of my life to gtfo of the big city. My youngest daughter is a hardcore fisher. She acts exactly how I act during a playoff game as she has one on the line.

Anyhow, hopefully they can get at least 1 good UFA in the top 6. Make a few trades to reel in hard to play against type players for the bottom 6. My wish is to trade Campbell, Nurse and McLeod to free up more cap. If not then at least trade Ceci and get someone that can benefit Nurse.

I'd like to see Rico, Jani and Brown back.

I'm happy with Picks getting an extension. He absolutely deserves it.

Reel one in like my daughter reeled this one in!

Attachments

• 20240629_114603.jpg
    20240629_114603.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I really doubt it. He was up @ ~$5.8 million AAV. I know what he said about money not being a big consideration at this point in his career but his family has also put down roots in California, with Anaheim. I don't think he's coming back. It would be a significant cut in pay (by necessity from the Oilers' perspective) never mind the lifestyle changes for their family.
Yeah he'd need to be on a cheap deal. He's a luxury at this point imo for Edmonton so if he prices himself out that's fine. He fit well on the Brown-Janmark line, but I think a lot of centres would fit well there with the chemistry those two developed in the playoffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really doubt it. He was up @ ~$5.8 million AAV. I know what he said about money not being a big consideration at this point in his career but his family has also put down roots in California, with Anaheim. I don't think he's coming back. It would be a significant cut in pay (by necessity from the Oilers' perspective) never mind the lifestyle changes for their family.
I think that he'd like to stay but it will depend on what his wife thinks as well. If we keep him we likely need to move out McLeod.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been living at a lake for the past ten years. Best decision of my life to gtfo of the big city. My youngest daughter is a hardcore fisher. She acts exactly how I act during a playoff game as she has one on the line.

Anyhow, hopefully they can get at least 1 good UFA in the top 6. Make a few trades to reel in hard to play against tape players for the bottom 6. My wish is to trade Campbell, Nurse and McLeod to free up more cap. If not then at least trade Ceci and get someone that can benefit Nurse.

I'd like to see Rico, Jani and Brown back.

I'm happy with Picks getting an extension. He absolutely deserves it.

Reel one in like my daughter reeled this one in!
What'd that one weigh, about 2-2 1/2 pounds?

Reactions: Vagabond

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Yeah he'd need to be on a cheap deal. He's a luxury at this point imo for Edmonton so if he prices himself out that's fine. He fit well on the Brown-Janmark line, but I think a lot of centres would fit well there with the chemistry those two developed in the playoffs.
Yup, exactly. He also had a high ankle sprain he was dealing with, apparently. He looked fine in the playoffs, and even crucial at times. If they can keep 2/3rds of the Brown / Janmark / Henrique line at a reasonable cost that's a pretty big win.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The reason everyone rips you is because you always speak as if hypotheticals are definitive and it always skews negative to the Oilers. Youre essentially insinuating that if Vancouver had Demko the Oilers lose that series and you have absolutely zero way of knowing that.

Maybe Vancouver beats us there or maybe Demko chokes, maybe Vancouver doesn’t play as tight in front of him as they would in front of a rookie goalie. Maybe Edmonton steps up their offensive attack.

All we know for sure is what actually happened and that is Edmonton putting away Vancouver on the way to the finals. I remember after each of the first two times we beat the Kings. Those summers the usual suspects were despairing the teams in division including the kings getting better while the Oilers did little but we keep beating them. Right on schedule here we are 5 days removed from the season ending with Oilers going down to the wire for a Cup we’re crying about what other teams are doing and what the Oilers aren’t doing. This is a Stanley Cup team and they still have an entire off season to do their tinkering.

To add to this - what seemingly escapes people is that this isn’t 2011 where we need to make big moves in the off season just to have the faintest prayer of being in playoff contention at the deadline.

This isn’t a thing anymore. We could do absolutely nothing other than re-sign our UFAs, do nothing at the deadline and STILL be in a place to win a Cup. Panicking because we aren’t swinging for the fences on June 29 is stupid, plain and simple.

Wait for the deadline when we actually know exactly what we need so that we can get exactly what we need at reduced prices and less risk. It isn’t complicated, but some can’t seem to not soil themselves every single off season.

Reactions: OilerTyler

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Probably buyout I guess. What a stupid signing. More dead cap space to punish them for bad choices in the UFA season.

Man a lot of us were rejoicing when we got him. We thought we got a #1 goalie. Turns out he can only be a #1 in the AHL but will still be outplayed by a rookie goalie

I see HF is back to its norm. Toxicity, lunacy and just downright rotten :)

Ahhhh to be alive!!!!

We just went to the Stanley cup final. Some of us need to breathe. And potentially go outside
I love it when it gets like this. Best time of the year. The negative ones come out of hibernation and create the usual loveable argument affair only to be proven wrong again

• Love
Reactions: Ibanez

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
OEL, Kulikov and Mikkola. So yup they did in that sense but none of them were huge moves though, just minor adds and signings that didn’t eat up much of their cap.

Their main core of Ekblad, Forsling and Montour stayed.

I expect ours will be the same with Bouch, Ekholm and Nurse. I doubt we see Kulak moved but who knows. Ceci potentially replaced and Broberg in all year is really all I expect.

Would love to see the reaction here if we added those three D men.

“Pfft Mikkola (who most here would have never heard of) and Kulikov are barely NHLers, and OEL is one of the worst d men in the league!”

Basically if you aren’t a brand name star it’s a bad move.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The problem is that a true Vezina quality goalie is going to cost you $8M or more if not now or as soon as their deal is up. So you can't add one unless you are willing to subtract a key piece somewhere else.
Plus we don't need a Vezina goalie when we got Skinner who is still young and getting better every year including in the playoffs. He just took us to the final

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Would love to see the reaction here if we added those three D men.

“Pfft Mikkola (who most here would have never heard of) and Kulikov are barely NHLers, and OEL is one of the worst d men in the league!”

Basically if you aren’t a brand name star it’s a bad move.

Hahaha this board would lose its mind and to be honest, I would be one of them :laugh:

But we came so close and this team deserves to be brought back with some minor tweaks. No need for a shakeup or major addition until deadline.

Campbell cap cleared.

I’m open to moving Kane since he didn’t even play in finals when it mattered and we were fine. But good with him back if he’s healthy but that’s been a concern for 2 straight years now.

Even with Ceci I don’t mind bringing him back. Don’t prefer it but when he’s away from the anchor aka Nurse, he was good.

Reactions: Oilhawks and K1984
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad