Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

giphy.gif

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I’m guessing you have the guy I was responding to on ignore. He was arguing that Demko being hurt had no effect on the series.
It may well have had an impact but would it have been more than injuries to McDavid, Leon and Kane? Silovs played really well in the first three games he played in the series. It's not clear that Demko would have won more than two of those three. The Oilers dominated game 6. They also dominated most of game 7 with a late comeback.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
People make definitive statements back like Demko wouldn’t have mattered.

My entire point is lots went right for us in the playoffs. Things went wrong too and a few of the usual suspect players cost us games, dragged things out and massively hurt the team in the playoffs.

Why wouldn’t the team try and improve? Making to the end is hard so if you clear liabilities in your lineup, move on from them.

That said the moves that we will reasonably make are not today. It’s frustrating to see how easily some teams can make moves, but like, we don’t shave a GM right now so it’s harder.

Really all we need to do is move on from Campbell, replace and upgrade Ceci and upgrade on Foegele. Bring the rest back and I think we can go far.

And none of this has to happen today. Campbell has to happen tomorrow but that’s it.

I mean I would also love a Nurse and Kane gone but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I like Tanev but I thought they were trying to go far in the playoffs? Tanevs body can’t handle that.
They might not have had Demko but we had a serious flu bug going around the room plus Draisaitl broke his rib early in the series, so the excuses go both ways on why it went to 7 games. Every team needs some luck on their way to the Cup. We just make the two bolded moves and we're probably the best team next year if we stay injury free.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Took a step back this year but if he comes cheap could be a great add. Still pretty much an auto 20 goal guy.
Would be a great add on a 1 year show me deal. Still an excellent skater and finisher, and would probably be the best goal scoring winger Drai has every had.

Wonder if the previous rumour about Oilers having interest in Arvidsson is still potentially there. He'd be another nice add on a 1 year show me deal after being injured almost all of last year. Has the Ekholm connection there as well.

If you could bring in Arvidsson and Skinner on 1 year deals and upgrade on Ceci while retaining Brown and Janmark I'd be pretty happy. You gotta think the cup final game 7 is going to entice at least a few guys to go the 1 year deal option for a chance at the cup and a chance to cash in elsewhere next summer after a year with McDrai and a cap that is going to likely be 92mil next year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
LOVED the OHL approach in this years draft. I know I'm biased because I'm a season ticket holder, but I feel like we always have big misses when we ignore the O (Toffoli, Jenner, Tkachuk/Sergachev, Johnston etc) and I mean, we did pretty darn good when we took Booch.

The OHL is the best Jr league in the world. Don't know why we didn't draft more players from it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Would be a great add on a 1 year show me deal. Still an excellent skater and finisher, and would probably be the best goal scoring winger Drai has every had.

Wonder if the previous rumour about Oilers having interest in Arvidsson is still potentially there. He'd be another nice add on a 1 year show me deal after being injured almost all of last year. Has the Ekholm connection there as well.

If you could bring in Arvidsson and Skinner on 1 year deals and upgrade on Ceci while retaining Brown and Janmark I'd be pretty happy.
Run something like

RNH - McD - Hyman
Arvidsson - Draisaitl - Skinner
Kane - Henrique - Holloway
Janmark - McLeod - Brown

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Carrier/Walker/????
Kulak - Broberg

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Run something like

RNH - McD - Hyman
Janmark - McLeod - Brown

Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg
Are we expecting Henrique back? Would love him back at sub 3mil, but thought I heard somewhere he was testing free agency.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Run something like

RNH - McD - Hyman
Janmark - McLeod - Brown

Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg
There's no way you're fitting all that within the cap. You can maybe do it if you send Kane away for nothing and replace him with Lavoie or another league min guy.

Not sure I really get it. Buffalo has a ton of cap space.
I think it's more about $$$ saved for the owner than anything else.

I can't wait until Treliving signs Tanev for 8 years.
8x7. Do it!!!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I get what you are saying. My perspective is buyouts are a reduction in your overall cap. You’re essentially handicapping yourself. I personally hate dead cap- something the Oilers seems to always have.

My perspective: you can’t undo the past… but you CAN partly undo it.

In this case the choice is a) paying more assets to undo the past, b) paying no assets to partly undo it, c) or sticking with a bad decision.

C) just isn’t an option given where we are. A) limits our ability to do other moves, NOW, when we need them. B) might be the best of a bad situation… and it prioritizes the present which we must do, especially this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m guessing you have the guy I was responding to on ignore. He was arguing that Demko being hurt had no effect on the series.
You don't have to re-litigate the series hoping the Oilers could have lost, they didn't because they were the better team, and would have been even more so if nearly everyone wasn't as sick as dogs throughout

Reactions: OilerTyler

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
There's no way you're fitting all that within the cap. You can maybe do it if you send Kane away for nothing and replace him with Lavoie or another league min guy.

I think it's more about $$$ saved for the owner than anything else.

8x7. Do it!!!
Yeah is probably actual dollars. Its a dumb hockey ops decision.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
People make definitive statements back like Demko wouldn’t have mattered.

My entire point is lots went right for us in the playoffs. Things went wrong too and a few of the usual suspect players cost us games, dragged things out and massively hurt the team in the playoffs.

Why wouldn’t the team try and improve? Making to the end is hard so if you clear liabilities in your lineup, move on from them.

That said the moves that we will reasonably make are not today. It’s frustrating to see how easily some teams can make moves, but like, we don’t shave a GM right now so it’s harder.

Really all we need to do is move on from Campbell, replace and upgrade Ceci and upgrade on Foegele. Bring the rest back and I think we can go far.

And none of this has to happen today. Campbell has to happen tomorrow but that’s it.

I mean I would also love a Nurse and Kane gone but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I like Tanev but I thought they were trying to go far in the playoffs? Tanevs body can’t handle that.
A lot has to go right for any team to win.

I actually agree with most of what you’ve outlined they need to do, but Holloway will be taking Foegeles role. It sounds like Campbell will be gone one way or another and I’m hopeful that they’ll replace Ceci with a partner better suited for Nurse. Other than that I think they’ll sign Henrique or another middle 6 fwd.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Are we expecting Henrique back? Would love him back at sub 3mil, but thought I heard somewhere he was testing free agency.
I really doubt it. He was up @ ~$5.8 million AAV. I know what he said about money not being a big consideration at this point in his career but his family has also put down roots in California, with Anaheim. I don't think he's coming back. It would be a significant cut in pay (by necessity from the Oilers' perspective) never mind the lifestyle changes for their family.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tanev is a good player, but if he's 34 they should try and keep his deal to 3 years, 4 at max. Anything over $4.5 million is an overpay.

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad