Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Reactions: K1984 and Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
sounds like there could be a bidding war for his services. Both Vancouver and Calgary are reportedly sniffing around him. He is a Swiss army Knife player. My guess he will be asking for between 4 to 5 a year. Even though he is coming off an injury year, he looked good in the playoffs
Can’t see him going to Calgary, they’re done, if you wanna win you don’t go there.

Sure he could go to Vancouver and get eliminated by us 4 years in a row.

Edmonton is a good fit, he’ll be playing with Draisaitl, and he won’t get bounced in the 1st round anymore.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Oh lawd

That would be an awful garbage fire D corps

IMO some of this is spectacle to whine about the tax differences between markets. Might sound crazy, but this is the GM that also said "Calgary has taken a hit, and 'it pisses me off'" on his way to sending them down the rebuild (that ownership refuses to fully embrace).

That “Calgary has taken a hit” quote is one of my all time favorites. His form of patting himself on the back with combative BS as the whole hockey world was laughably lauding him.

Fast forward 24 month and Calgary has taken more “hits” as the remainder of players with any choice have gotten the f*** out of dodge. Including Jim himself, hypocrite. Glad he’s brining this steady hand to another team I hate as well.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Robidas island after 2, max 3 seasons, book it

100%

If Hunter was their guy why would he not have been signed already???

Pretty hard to sign anyone until after the playoffs and not create a distraction to the players. You’ve got the draft, free agency and a shit ton of your own free agents to sign right after. Plus they want to interview a few people as well according to The Boss.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
If Hunter was their guy why would he not have been signed already???
Season just ended, maybe they had a few interviews and are working on contract details? I'm not saying it's a done deal just because we took 2 Knights and 2 more OHL guys, but it could be an indicator, it also could be purely a coincidence.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Season just ended, maybe they had a few interviews and are working on contract details? I'm not saying it's a done deal just because we took 2 Knights and 2 more OHL guys, but it could be an indicator, it also could be purely a coincidence.
London was a dominant team in the OHL this year. The guys they picked are both players that may well have had a higher profile on other teams but are poised to potentially take a big step next year. Both had solid playoff runs so it might just be that the Oilers were looking for some under the radar talent.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
100%

Pretty hard to sign anyone until after the playoffs and not create a distraction to the players. You’ve got the draft, free agency and a shit ton of your own free agents to sign right after. Plus they want to interview a few people as well according to The Boss.
I understand. But the premise of these posts was that taking Knights was a clue that Hunter was their guy. He may well end up being the choice, though I don't think he will. But I doubt they took the two knights as some sort of nod to Hunter. JJ also said that the guys they have interest in have key roles on their teams and were not yet available. That does not fit Hunter.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I took this as they want to sign the guys they really want to keep. For example I think Foegele is gone.
Yes, this is what I thought too in reading it. As another example, nothing against Gagner but why would you sign a guy who doesn't dress anymore and didn't play in the playoffs.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Sorry we don’t need Ceci back and Knoblauch called it out himself. Leon needs a scoring winger. We need to sign a consistent one

I don’t think we need him back either and prefer to replace him but if he’s back and in a third pairing capacity, I wouldn’t be opposed. He’s well liked in the room and showed he can play when away from Nurse.

If no viable upgrade becomes available, you’re better off holding onto him as a bottom pairing and roll with the game 7 defence.

Again, not saying we shouldn’t upgrade him. We should but depends on what’s out there.

As for Drai winger - I fully expect Campbell contract moves one way or another and that cap used to sign Arvidsson or Debrusk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad