Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No, because once the Oilers found his weak spot he was basically ineffective. He got lit up after they found the first one.

Jarry has warts, but the pens suck.
The Pens suck and they are still getting a better performance off a no name rookie third stringer than Jarry.

Swapping Nurse for Jarry actively makes the team worse and you’re now looking to add two top 4 D-men at the deadline instead of one.

If all we were considering was present and future cap space it would make sense. But the team is trying to win a cup. We are going to be hard pressed to have the assets to acquire one top 4 dman at the deadline. Adding two? Might as well throw the season away.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I actually like that Kane news. Come back healthy and get prepped for the playoffs.

It is maddening that we had a Kane who couldn't play and a very injured Drai (F*** YOU VANCOUVER) in the finals.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’d be willing to bet your mortgage that Connor Murphy is an Oiler at some point.
He's a realistic get for sure. Easy to make the logical connection (I've done as well early in premature deadline shopping machinations). Questions will be about ability to move the needle, the competitive environment for premium scarcity positional asset.

Now put your mortgage down and I'll take the bet on it!!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He's a realistic get for sure. Easy to make the logical connection (I've done as well early in premature deadline shopping machinations). Questions will be about ability to move the needle, the competitive environment for premium scarcity positional asset.

I think if the Hawks try to move Murphy a few teams will be in the queue to get him

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think if the Hawks try to move Murphy a few teams will be in the queue to get him
Maybe he will use his 10 team no trade clause strategically. Don't put a team like Anaheim on it. He could rig it to make sure if he's traded it's only to one of a few teams

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not sure about that. Nurse has been solid this year outside a poor start. Karlsson's elite, fast puck movement and carry ability would move the puck out of zone faster and with more certainty. It's an issue after Ekholm Bouchard.

But regardless, the trade market being relied upon for an upgrade looks shallow and with competition that have the ammunition to dictate it.
How do you define solid?
Offence consistently dies on his stick.
He has in every game so far made at least one wrong read on D.
He still gives up prime ice (and backs into the goalies kitchen) when defending the rush.

I guess we should be happy with that and not expect any better?

For me a the player that has been solid is Ekholm.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's definitely going to be the challenge navigating a competitive market with limited supply of a premium priced asset which is right shot defenseman. Murphy seems more of a B list guy not necessarily a bonafide difference maker.

Makes a wee bit of sense to trial Nurse at 2RD to create flexibility if the Oilers get priced out of the right shot top 4 d-market.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
How do you define solid?
Offence consistently dies on his stick.
He has in every game so far made at least one wrong read on D.
He still gives up prime ice (and backs into the goalies kitchen) when defending the rush.

I guess we should be happy with that and not expect any better?
Look at his time on ice. Deployment and situational play. He plays substantive defensive zone starts and competitive situational play for this team. Doesn't get the bump that playing with McDavid's dominating top line provides. I've posted those historic numbers for you before. Nurse isn't going anywhere and his salary isn't going to change. He's been pretty solid including bringing back his physical nasty style which adds another dimension. Every defenseman will make errors and bad reads in every game. Nature of this high speed collision sport.

It's a waste of energy wishing Nurse and his salary away.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Look at his time on ice. Deployment and situational play. He plays substantive defensive zone starts and competitive situational play for this team. Doesn't get the bump that playing with McDavid's dominating top line provides. I've posted those historic numbers for you before. Nurse isn't going anywhere and his salary isn't going to change. He's been pretty solid including bringing back his physical nasty style which adds another dimension. Every defenseman will make errors and bad reads in every game. Nature of this high speed collision sport.

It's a waste of energy wishing Nurse and his salary away.
Well..you and I have a different benchmark for solid.
Thats fine.
Nurse is a $9.25M damn...he should be playing against the other teams best players consistently.
He isnt because he cant handle it.
Watch the player. Watch how often the play dies on his stick in the O zone.
Watch him defend the rush.
Watch how he defends the cycle and what reads he defaults to.

Once you have done that...then watch Ekholm. Watch what he does with the puck on his stick in the O zone. Watch his reads in the D zone. All of that against the other teams best players.

The difference is obvious.

You're correct...the team is stuck with him and his bloated contract. That being said that doesnt mean we are compelled to watch the player wearing rose colored glasses.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

We all know property is more expensive in Vancouver ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad