Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He might be, but is it wise to throw him to the wolves next season?

Im not saying I would, but I think theres a real possibility he comes into camp next year and looks like one of the best dmen.

North

Jun 25, 2009
If the things you've been saying about him were true he'd be a sure fire top 4 pick and would be challenging Laine/Puljujarvi for the top 3.

So hard to take you seriously when you speak in such hyperbole.

Exactly. I believe Sergachev is the best d man available in the draft but I wouldn't draft him top 5.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
We need to be very careful with who we draft because theoretically this is our last high draft pick for the next 10+ years. If we don't draft a player capable of becoming a #1D, then we need to be okay with probably not getting one for a very long time unless we get really really lucky. If we draft a forward or trade it for someone who doesn't have 1D potential, I'd be praying every day that Klef or one of our current prospects develops into one. We don't need top line forwards, we have 5 of those already. Decent wingers can be acquired through trades of late firsts which we will be getting for a while. Top pairing D can't. I'd make a trade for Vatanen, sign another D, and swing again for a 1D in the draft, cause it's the only way we are getting one.

I understand the need for discussion, this is a message board after all, I just really doubt Edmonton has any chance of getting Vatanen out of Anaheim, realistically.

I agree with what you say though. They need to draft a Dman they think has the highest pedigree, and just continue with that philosophy. And of course try for Vatanen or whoever else they can. Doubtful anything big happens though. Such is the new NHL.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Staples has the worst opinions. Gregor is marginally better.

In fact all of the Oilers media guys are pretty terrible.

I just don't like Gregor because he makes an ass of himself and tries to bully other Media and Fans into agreeing with him.

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
I'm in the camp that doesn't want Demers, or anyone that doesn't cost one of the 6m dollar kids. I'm fine to even overpay for a real bonafide stud.
I'd be going 'all in'.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Gonna be pretty pissed if Phoenix makes their D better and we don't. Didn't Mact give up a 3rd rounder for Nikitins rights?

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I'm in the camp that doesn't want Demers, or anyone that doesn't cost one of the 6m dollar kids. I'm fine to even overpay for a real bonafide stud.
I'd be going 'all in'.

Well looks like Demers is off the Market anyway so leaves very few D to pick up by the looks of things

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
In terms of pure offence I might say that Sergachev is better than anyone not named Klefbom or Sekera but in terms of overall game and defence he would have a bad time. He needs at least one more year in junior, a top 3-4 Dman 'should' be able to step in to the NHL in their D+1 year and I don't think he's ready for that. I wouldn't take him top 3, would be all over him 6+, and would definitely debate at 4-5.

As for who is ranked and the best Dman argument, Juolevi had a great WJC and is seen as the "highest floor" option, and Chychun had a great rookie year and has very good physical tools. They are close.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The thing about Sergachev beyond the talent is the fact he is already over 6'2 and 220+ pounds right now.

Zero physical limitations to him stepping into the NHL.

The fact last year was his rookie year in the OHL means for me I would love to see him play the right side another full year in Windsor next year.

After that though, it's on a show me basis. I would not be shocked if he made the Oilers for the 2017-18 season.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You'd think in a year where the top end of the draft is basically two guys, a surefire superstud like that would be closer to the top 5 in the rankings instead of not even being the top ranked defenceman. :laugh:

And yet of all 3 of the OHL dmen in this draft Sergachev was the only one in the final voting for the Max Kaminsky trophy, and came away with the award... Look at the guys who've won that trophy over the years, not to many who haven't gone on to have NHL careers.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You know what pisses me off? If anyone knows Chris Nichols, he posts tweets based off of Sports Radio talk shows from Friedman, Mackenzie, Lebrun, etc. and posts them on twitter for us who don't always get a chance to listen to the show. He's very informative, but he just found out today OilersNow Radio blocked him from knowing when Friedman is coming on the radio because of his comments being "Mis-Read". Nichols says his is the full radio interview and he just posts what they say, but now he's being blocked because they think he's 'mis-reading' their quotes? what a ****ing JOKE! Kinda makes me mad and wanting to Boycott OilersNow and Stauffer altogether.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It would be nice if we could acquire a Vatanen type and then try to get a later 1st by either moving Yak and 32 or 32 + something.

If we could trade for a Vatanen and take 2 shots in the 1st round on D, such as Sergachev + Fabbro/McAvoy that would be solid.

I'd love to try to take a shot on perhaps a 20-21 year old D not yet in the NHL, but they better be damn sure he is NHL ready if they go that route.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I don't think I can handle another season of ****ing garbage defensemen. WE better ****ing do something drastic and soon. I'm sick of being let down in the trade market.

It's what happens when you wallow in **** for the past 6 years, hurts the value of assets you do have. Plus, the salary cap.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
You know what pisses me off? If anyone knows Chris Nichols, he posts tweets based off of Sports Radio talk shows from Friedman, Mackenzie, Lebrun, etc. and posts them on twitter for us who don't always get a chance to listen to the show. He's very informative, but he just found out today OilersNow Radio blocked him from knowing when Friedman is coming on the radio because of his comments being "Mis-Read". Nichols says his is the full radio interview and he just posts what they say, but now he's being blocked because they think he's 'mis-reading' their quotes? what a ****ing JOKE! Kinda makes me mad and wanting to Boycott OilersNow and Stauffer altogether.

It's not just Oilers Now, its radio interviews in general. Freidman wants to stop because he keeps getting misrepresented, and he's been threatening to do so for over a year now. Frankly, that's entirely his choice and I see where he's coming from.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The thing about Sergachev beyond the talent is the fact he is already over 6'2 and 220+ pounds right now.

Zero physical limitations to him stepping into the NHL.

The fact last year was his rookie year in the OHL means for me I would love to see him play the right side another full year in Windsor next year.

After that though, it's on a show me basis. I would not be shocked if he made the Oilers for the 2017-18 season.

It's also worth noting that he's playing for Rocky Thompson who the Oilers have a great history with. Having him go back to Windsor would almost be as ideal as him playing for the Oil Kings because of that connection.

If you think about him going back a year older, what is he going to do to that league? And does anyone think he'd be available in a trade if he goes back and has another great year in the OHL?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's what happens when you wallow in **** for the past 6 years, hurts the value of assets you do have. Plus, the salary cap.

Again.

So we're looking at a best case scenario of

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom(probably hurt) - Nurse
Reinhart - Davidson
Osterle

I wonder if you can open and close a new Arena in the same year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Again.

So we're looking at a best case scenario of

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom(probably hurt) - Nurse
Reinhart - Davidson
Osterle

I wonder if you can open and close a new Arena in the same year.

At least there will be concerts. Maybe we can get them to renegotiate with the CFR to and give them a better deal instead of trying to stiff arm them.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It's not just Oilers Now, its radio interviews in general. Freidman wants to stop because he keeps getting misrepresented, and he's been threatening to do so for over a year now. Frankly, that's entirely his choice and I see where he's coming from.

That's fine and all from Friedman, but what does OilersNow have the right to block him? Because Friedman twisted their arm and said no more interviews until you block Chris Nichols? That's what I am mad about. He didn't do anything wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad