Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I don't think I can handle another season of ****ing garbage defensemen. WE better ****ing do something drastic and soon. I'm sick of being let down in the trade market.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Barrie, Faulk and Hamonic all taken off the market. Rumours that Vatanen's asking price is nuts. Subban confirmed as not available and Petro/OEL as well. Pretty much all the semi realistic->fantasy options are gone.

It's starting to seem like the iffy UFA options might be the only plan. We might be stuck with a crummy D again next year unless one of our D prospects can take a big step forward.

Even guys like Gudbranson/Petrovic are off as well.

The only real two options left Imo are Demers from FA and maybe Trouba? Vatanen wouldn't be too bad I suppose...

None of the guys we might manage to get should be given a NMC tho. That's forsure, but I would guess thats what those players will be looking for.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
So you think Burke and Lowe are still buddies?

no but they are 2 old stubborn dudes, neither of which are GMs anymore. you can hurt a GMs feelings because their shelf life is minimal

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
That's only if he pans out. It's not just that these guys take longer to become full-time players (let alone impact players) - it's that they are so much tougher to predict, and you're a lot more likely to get it wrong than you are with a forward.

They're really not after the first 3 or 4 picks. Especially if youre taking an offensive dman who can skate that has half decent hockey IQ. Sergachev is way better then Nurse was in his draft year, and worst case scenario I think you end up with a 30 point second pairing dman.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Can Davidson play RD good enough to make an effective 3rd pairing with him and Reinhart?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Can Davidson play RD good enough to make an effective 3rd pairing with him and Reinhart?

I don't see why not. There will be some combination of Davidson/Nurse/Reinhart/Fayne/Gryba/Oesterle that will be fine on the 3rd pairing. But the problem is that none of those guys can reasonably be expected to play higher in the line up.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Well, the good news is we don't have to panic until...

1) Dumb move gets made

or

2) It's July 15 and the roster looks like deuce.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The only real two options left Imo are Demers from FA and maybe Trouba? Vatanen wouldn't be too bad I suppose...

None of the guys we might manage to get should be given a NMC tho. That's forsure, but I would guess thats what those players will be looking for.

That is being reported.

The expansion draft hasn't even been announced yet. Free agency hasn't started and the salary cap hasn't even been finalized.

Teams are going to make moves this summer and we have the potential to make some pretty significant ones. I have no idea why one tweet from a University of Denver beat writer has the ability to put the Oilers forum on suicide watch.

Seriously. Barrie's not even that good.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I don't see any way the Oilers send Nurse to AHL.

I think we are looking at:

Klefbom Demers/Vatanen
Sekera Fayne
Nurse Davidson

I would prefer getting someone like Pysyk or even Redmond and sending Nurse to the AHL for a year but I doubt the Oilers do it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Problem with this is we don't have our 2nd for 2017 as of now. Unless we can convince Boston to trade it back our offersheet options are limited.

Because he is god awful.

Didn't the NHLPA complain to the NHL that the compensation rule affects the ability for players to sign offer sheets so the NHL agreed to slide it back a year so the Oilers can actually give up their 2018 second round pick?

Or was that just a rumour?

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Oilers need a #1 D now, not in 2020.

Actually were going to need one for both. Drafting Tkachuk or Dubois doesnt accomplish either, drafting Sergachev or Chychrun or Juolevi gives us a shot at least at the latter. Most teams get their top d-men in the draft and they're pretty hesitant about trading them away. We've been talking Subban, Faulk, Barrie but the closer we get to draft day the more it seems like a pipe dream that any of these will be available. I wont be surprised if we see a steady stream of rfa's being signed in the next little bit or arbitration cases announced taking away the dreams of offer sheets. So how are we going to get any potential top pairing d-men for 3 years from now let alone this season if we dont draft them?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Klefbom Demers/Vatanen
Sekera Fayne
Nurse Davidson

I would prefer getting someone like Pysyk or even Redmond and sending Nurse to the AHL for a year but I doubt the Oilers do it.

That team is picking top 5 again. Top 10 at best.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't see why not. There will be some combination of Davidson/Nurse/Reinhart/Fayne/Gryba/Oesterle that will be fine on the 3rd pairing. But the problem is that none of those guys can reasonably be expected to play higher in the line up.

And none of those guys help with our offence from the backend. At least Franson brings something were lacking. Even with his crap contract its still only 1 year and he's gone if he doesn't fit.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

If we can't land a second pairing RHD you'd have to think that Fayne will line up with Sekera, no? Maybe Fayne will come around, I thought he was better after he came back from the minors but we still need an upgrade there.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yeah Ron Hextall sure seems to be sitting by himself at lunchtime because of his offersheet...

or im sure Chicago and San Jose never traded after Hjmarlsson offersheet..

Still waiting for Burke to offersheet us

Hextall never offer sheeted Weber, that was Holmgren, he made 6 trades with Nashville prior to the offer sheet and none afterwards.

The Hjalmarson offer-sheet was honestly a gift 4 years at $3.5M AAV, they should send Doug Wilson a gift basket for negotiating an awesome extension on Chicago's behalf.

In the cases where there is bad blood it never seems to carry over to the next GM. Each GM and organization is different some have no problem with offer-sheets and others like Burke challenges you to a fight in a barn. Fan bases call for offer sheets every off-season, but it's really in everyones best interests it to keep to a seldom used tool or practice. They generally only work when you overpay to a stupid level and then no one benefits. In the past 10 years 8 offer sheets have been extended and only the Penner offer-sheet was not matched and the Ducks got the better end of that exchange.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Klefbom Demers/Vatanen
Sekera Fayne
Nurse Davidson

We're look at another bottom 5 finish then. I don't mind having Nurse in the NHL (would prefer to resign Gryba and have Nurse as first call up) but if Fayne is in our top 4, we are screwed. If chia fails to acquire a top pairing dmen then he needs to go out and get two quality top 4 dmen like Vatanen and one of Demers or Brodin. Even if Chia somehow manages to do that, I'll be happy.

Klefbom - Brodin
Sekera - Vatanen
Davidson - Gryba
Nurse
Reinhart

Don't think even that is playoff caliber but sure as hell is a lot better than what we have now and can maybe get us close. Vatanen QB powerplay 1 and one of Klef, Sekera or even Davidson (due to his shot) on PP 2.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Demers might want a NMC but Trouba and Vatanen can't get a NMC until their RFA years are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad