Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Actually were going to need one for both. Drafting Tkachuk or Dubois doesnt accomplish either, drafting Sergachev or Chychrun or Juolevi gives us a shot at least at the latter. Most teams get their top d-men in the draft and they're pretty hesitant about trading them away. We've been talking Subban, Faulk, Barrie but the closer we get to draft day the more it seems like a pipe dream that any of these will be available. I wont be surprised if we see a steady stream of rfa's being signed in the next little bit or arbitration cases announced taking away the dreams of offer sheets. So how are we going to get any potential top pairing d-men for 3 years from now let alone this season if we dont draft them?

And even if we could grab a guy now, why not take a guy who IMO looks like he could be one in a few years? Having two #1 dmen is really a problem I'd like to have.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
We are 100% picking top 5, maybe even top 3 if this **** doesn't get fixed.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think the Oilers should go after Trouba if he is available.

Offer Nurse and whatever minor pieces it takes to get done.

Toss in Yak or our second... Heck both if that's what it takes.

I can't help but feel that without a legit right shooting defenseman this team is doomed moving forward. I know that's ridiculous but I can't help but think it's one of the biggest factors holding this team back.

Maybe injuries derailed us badly last year as well but having a bit of balance on the back end certainly is a real factor for a teams effectiveness.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Eh, not worried.

There will be d-men traded, it just won't be anyone we've discussed as being available.

My guess:

Yakupov + pick for Brendan Smith

Eberle for Vatanen

Oilers sign Lucic and Stempniak

Oilers draft Tkachuk

Oilers sign Demers

Lucic - McDavid - Stempniak
Hall - RNH - Draisaitl
Maroon - Letestu - Kassian
Hendricks - Lander - Pakarinen

Sekera - Vatanen
Klefbom - Demers
Smith - Davidson

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I fully expect this will be our defence going into next season as a best case scenario:

Klefbom-Lovejoy
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Franson
Pardy

I firmly believe we'll actually have a worse defence next year then we had starting this year unless something major happens. We absolutely need to take Sergachev at 4.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Didn't the NHLPA complain to the NHL that the compensation rule affects the ability for players to sign offer sheets so the NHL agreed to slide it back a year so the Oilers can actually give up their 2018 second round pick?

Or was that just a rumour?

Not a rumor. link

North

Jun 25, 2009
I fully expect this will be our defence going into next season as a best case scenario:

Klefbom-Lovejoy
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Franson
Pardy

I firmly believe we'll actually have a worse defence next year then we had starting this year unless something major happens. We absolutely need to take Sergachev at 4.

Sergachev does nothing to make the Oilers better now.

You always take the BPA in round 1 and right now that's either Tkachuk or Dubois.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Klefbom-Lovejoy
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Franson
Pardy

What does Serg have to do with the rest of what your saying?

It very common for even extremely talented defenders to take 5+ years to be effective and consistent in a top 4 nhl role.

So your saying let's restart the rebuild starting now and not worry about our D for the next half decade or more?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Watching Gregor and Staples ***** at each other on Twitter is fun, and they're both being tools.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
we don't need Barrie, although it'd be nice

we need to upgrade our defense...even if it just means signing guys like Jason Demers and Brian Campbell, that'd be a big upgrade on what we have

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Goligoski negotiating rights traded to Arizona (possibly)

Dallas freeing up room to resign Demers?

North

Jun 25, 2009

we need to upgrade our defense...even if it just means signing guys like Jason Demers and Brian Campbell, that'd be a big upgrade on what we have

Definitely. The Oilers may not get a first pairing d man this off season, but getting a couple solid second pairing ones will definitely put them in a better place.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Definitely. The Oilers may not get a first pairing d man this off season, but getting a couple solid second pairing ones will definitely put them in a better place.

Way things are going, even that might be a pipe dream.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Watching Gregor and Staples ***** at each other on Twitter is fun, and they're both being tools.

Funny, that entire thing read like an HF-squabble to me :laugh:

Just misinterpreting each other's tweets to serve their own arguments.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK

Klefbom-Lovejoy
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Franson
Pardy

This post legit made me laugh, a nervous laugh, but definitely laugh. I can't foresee Ben Lovejoy and Cody Franson as our "Best Case Scenario", more like worst case scenario and even that's unlikely. We have pieces to move, despite two higher profile D-men being pulled (posturing?) in Hamonic and Barrie, and there are still teams that will be moving D-men of certain quality.

While not our first choices I still see worst case scenario us picking up say Jonas Brodin, and a lesser quality puck mover like say Michael Del Zotto.

The Sky is Falling mentality is strong in here today with this news.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Starting to get nervous about not securing a RHD. Goligoski rights being traded really does feel like a Demers signing.

Unless they go with Russell and not the other two.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I agree but think about the dozen at least other teams that will be courting those 2 and what implications moving forward signing one or both will have.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Starting to get nervous about not securing a RHD. Goligoski rights being traded really does feel like a Demers signing.

Unless they go with Russell and not the other two.

They paid a high price for Russell, they might as well double down on that deal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we can't land a second pairing RHD you'd have to think that Fayne will line up with Sekera, no? Maybe Fayne will come around, I thought he was better after he came back from the minors but we still need an upgrade there.

I assume that would be the plan. I like Fayne. But he just doesn't seem suited to play the minutes for a top 4 guy.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Goligoski negotiating rights traded to Arizona (possibly)

Dallas freeing up room to resign Demers?

And another real good dman off the market. Assuming he signs Arizona now has one of OEL or Goligoski on the ice for 50 minutes a game. Unbelievable comparing that to what Edmonton has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad