Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Free Agent Frenzy, Will JJ Show His Pimp Hand Again to Upgrade the Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
But how many Jarred Smithsons has he acquired?
Touche. I guess its not quantity but quality that really matters. If you keep your powder dry you can take advantage of opportunities. I mean it's not everyday you get to add a Smithson to your team. That goal he scored late in the third period vs the Canucks could be viewed by some as a franchise changer.

• Haha
Reactions: belair

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Touche. I guess its not quantity but quality that really matters. If you keep your powder dry you can take advantage of opportunities. I mean it's not everyday you get to add a Smithson to your team. That goal he scored late in the third period vs the Canucks could be viewed by some as a franchise changer.

What's funny is I distinctly remember that goal because it was a memorable third period during the absolute gutter of the Oiler era. Against a patchwork Nuck team sitting guys for the playoffs too.

Want to say the Oilers scored 5 or 6 goals in the third period of that one with the cherry on top being a Yakupov hat trick. Eberle scored a pretty sick goal too. Had a bunch of buddies over for that one and we were fired up, but in hindsight it was very, very pathetic haha. Please, if there is a god, don't ever make me that happy to win a game like that ever again.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
By the time training camp, Jackson will have done more than Tambo, Chia and Holland have done combined

Reactions: KlefDown

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Man McDavid really transformed this franchise and he honestly doesn't get enough credit for it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’ll never forget the smug look on Tambo’s face in the Oil Change documentary after making that trade.
In all fairness that whole room was quite happy. Hate to see if they actually acquired someone of value

Guys were like they won some sort of lottery

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What's funny is I distinctly remember that goal because it was a memorable third period during the absolute gutter of the Oiler era. Against a patchwork Nuck team sitting guys for the playoffs too.

Want to say the Oilers scored 5 or 6 goals in the third period of that one with the cherry on top being a Yakupov hat trick. Eberle scored a pretty sick goal too. Had a bunch of buddies over for that one and we were fired up, but in hindsight it was very, very pathetic haha. Please, if there is a god, don't ever make me that happy to win a game like that ever again.
Great memory. Indeed the Oilers did score six goals in the third to win 7-2 and Yakupov had a hattie. Smithson's goal made it 7-2 at 16:52 of the third with assists from Jones and Smyth.

As an aside Eric Belanger was a -1 with no points in 9:25 minutes in that game. There is another great move amongst many of that era. The guy basically took the money and went in cruise mode as an Oiler. The guy had a 2.7% shooting percentage with the Oilers in 104 games while being a 10.2% shooter over his career.

Smithson's claim to fame was that he had a 55%+ FO%. Somehow the sense was that this was going to be the key to success.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Great memory. Indeed the Oilers did score six goals in the third to win 7-2 and Yakupov had a hattie. Smithson's goal made it 7-2 at 16:52 of the third with assists from Jones and Smyth.

As an aside Eric Belanger was a -1 with no points in 9:25 minutes in that game. There is another great move amongst many of that era. The guy basically took the money and went in cruise mode as an Oiler. The guy had a 2.7% shooting percentage with the Oilers in 104 games while being a 10.2% shooter over his career.
Belanger had dark eyes, like a dolls eyes.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
So we are still 354 000 over the cap we really need to move someone out that makes money next so we can re sign Broberg and Holloway.
Thats with 21 contracts. They can always play 12/6/2 and be under.

The real question is whether there is a move in a major piece going out, LTIR, or sending a few people to the AHL. It would not surprise me to see the team go into training cap like this then make a decision based on LTIR and how some of the more suspect lower end players look.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton can start the season by signing Broberg and Holloway for 1 million each. Sending Ryan ,Brown and Stecher down

Leaving

Skinner McD Hyman
Holloway Draisaitl Arvidsson
Kane RNH Perry
Janmark Henrique Brown

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Broberg
Kulak Ceci

Could even send Perry down if a prospect is ready. I wouldn't care if Perry got claimed as the Oilers . Have been to the 3rd round , 2nd and the finals the last 3 years. I don't really think the need a guy like Perry
Its bad ass to have Henrique as a 4th line center. But tou have to use your assets better. And you have richness at forwards. But you have to fix that defense. Try to convert Broberg to a 2RD for Nurse is a big thing.

I though find a slow skater as Skinner bad at McDavids wing.

Holloway McDavid Hyman
Skinner Draisaitl Arvidsson
Nuge Henrique Kane
Janmark Ryan Brown

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Broberg
Kulak Stecher
Brown

Ceci traded and opens up capspace.
When a pair doesnt work, and is at the bottom of the league even if they got to finals, something has to be done.

Defense isnt good at all. Say if Ekholm goes down.

Nurse Broberg
Kulak Bouchard
Brown Stetcher

Yikes.

CantHaveTkachev

Everyone hates us, we don't care
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Smithson's claim to fame was that he had a 55%+ FO%. Somehow the sense was that this was going to be the key to success.
don't forget he was a right-shot....another valuable trait to Tambo, despite having below-average 4th liner stats

man, that "Oil Change" show was equal parts sad and hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Fans were beyond obsessed with FO back then and even today. Fans got what they wanted when Smithson came in.

Belanger was just an all around mess, granted there was some management issues he disliked but he as you said just went into cruise mode. Blamed the team for ending his career, but his half ass effort didn't help his cause. Those couple years of not actually having leadership on the club didn't help either. Somebody to tell him smarten the hell up. Should be common sense for a 34 year old, but it wasn't and there was no leadership telling him the obvious "if you play harder they'll be able to trade you or you'll have some viable options when your contract expires".

Reactions: frag2 and Oilhawks

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
maybe it's just my lack of social media prowess but I don't think I heard a peep anywhere about X being traded or on the trade block until it was made official

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Fans were beyond obsessed with FO back then and even today. Fans got what they wanted when Smithson came in.

Belanger was just an all around mess, granted there was some management issues he disliked but he as you said just went into cruise mode. Blamed the team for ending his career, but his half ass effort didn't help his cause. Those couple years of not actually having leadership on the club didn't help either. Somebody to tell him smarten the hell up. Should be common sense for a 34 year old, but it wasn't and there was no leadership telling him the obvious "if you play harder they'll be able to trade you or you'll have some viable options when your contract expires".
Belanger was a really weird one. The guy was a consistent 30-40 point player on every other team he played on. As soon he became an Oiler he completely disappeared.

Reactions: McDoused

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
maybe it's just my lack of social media prowess but I don't think I heard a peep anywhere about X being traded or on the trade block until it was made official
Partially because most the insiders are on holidays. Partially because Jackson is new to the job and really hasn't formed a connection with anyone in the media that would leak rumors. And partially because at the end of the day it really isn't a big trade.

Although with Bourgault the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. Chaulk barely ever said anything good about the guy and when he did it sounded forced. Between the eye tests coming directly from Chaulk, basic stats that we as fans can pull from Hockeydb and then the advanced stats Jackson uses it seems the whole picture was pointed in one direction and Jackson made the move once he found a partner

Much of what JJ has done in the past month has all been pretty quiet until it actually hits the news as well.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

There was a reason why it was nicknamed 'The Belanger Triangle' whenever any two forwards had to unfortunately be on Belanger's wing. Guy sucked any kind of offense when he was on the ice.

I recall Stauffer mentioned years ago on his show that Belanger made the rookies wait while veterans like him got on the elevator first. Add the fact that he criticized Yak's celebration while a stand up guy in Teemu Selanne praised it.

f*** Belanger. The DOD era was tough, but guys like him made watching the Oilers even more depressing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Belanger was a really weird one. The guy was a consistent 30-40 point player on every other team he played on. As soon he became an Oiler he completely disappeared.
In hindsight with what he has said you can tell he was disgruntled very early on in his tenure here and let his on ice results show that. Essentially pulled what PLD has done, but was a lot older and really didn't have any potential to fall back on. The guy really screwed himself out of a North American career only to find the KHL wasn't for him either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was a reason why it was nicknamed 'The Belanger Triangle' whenever any two forwards had to unfortunately be on Belanger's wing. Guy sucked any kind of offense when he was on the ice.

I recall Stauffer mentioned years ago on his show that Belanger made the rookies wait while veterans like him got on the elevator first. Add the fact that he criticized Yak's celebration while a stand up guy in Teemu Selanne praised it.

f*** Belanger. The DOD era was tough, but guys like him made watching the Oilers even more depressing.
You really can't get away in the NHL with one guy dogging it out there. Granted if you have elite high end skill you can make up for it to some degree, it just doesn't work with the type of players that Belanger plays with. Those guys don't have the talent to make up for a guy being that lazy.

Belanger's twitter rant you can tell he wasn't a fan of the kids being given the keys to the team and how they were favoured. Although he wasn't wrong and Hemsky had a similar comment about the kids, but Hemsky didn't quit on his teammates the way Belanger did

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You really can't get away in the NHL with one guy dogging it out there. Granted if you have elite high end skill you can make up for it to some degree, it just doesn't work with the type of players that Belanger plays with. Those guys don't have the talent to make up for a guy being that lazy.

Belanger's twitter rant you can tell he wasn't a fan of the kids being given the keys to the team and how they were favoured. Although he wasn't wrong and Hemsky had a similar comment about the kids, but Hemsky didn't quit on his teammates the way Belanger did

No doubt the young kids had cockiness to them especially Hall, but the way Belanger handled it as a vet was just pathetic to watch. I disliked him the moment he wasn't a fan of Yakupov's celebration. Even if it was just a regular season game, the officiating in that game along with the original bullshit no call against because Quick decided to whine made that game more infuriating to watch. Even if he didn't like the celebration, you don't go yapping to the media about how you don't approve of it. Keep that shit in the dressing room. You'd think a vet would know better. f*** Belanger to this day.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No doubt the young kids had cockiness to them especially Hall, but the way Belanger handled it as a vet was just pathetic to watch. I disliked him the moment he wasn't a fan of Yakupov's celebration. Even if it was just a regular season game, the officiating in that game along with the original bullshit no call against because Quick decided to whine made that game more infuriating to watch. Even if he didn't like the celebration, you don't go yapping to the media about how you don't approve of it. Keep that shit in the dressing room. You'd think a vet would know better. f*** Belanger to this day.
Oh 100%, you never go to the media about stuff like that. But who knows he might've kept it in the dressing room and someone told him to shut up, so he said f*** it and just did what he wanted to.

Not knowing the impact it was going to have on his career. Like what GM is gonna want a guy that sulked the way he did and then publicly bashes someone on his team?

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Oh 100%, you never go to the media about stuff like that. But who knows he might've kept it in the dressing room and someone told him to shut up, so he said f*** it and just did what he wanted to.

Not knowing the impact it was going to have on his career. Like what GM is gonna want a guy that sulked the way he did and then publicly bashes someone on his team?

It would show his character even more if that's the case, lmao. But whatever, that decade is over and done with.

At least we finally have good quality veteran players like Ekholm who know how to lead on ice and in the room. Up yours, Belanger triangle!

Reactions: ujju2 and McDoused

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I wish someone can link me to the video. I need to see this
He looked something like this...

1721081384172.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad