Tavares extension -> May Reportedly Happen in the Near Future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
So you aren't denying that he is on for important goals and is solid offensively?

Sure'y that is worth something and make him more then a pure liability.. ..
To be honest I think he's heading for a steep drop off and will end up floating around like Marleau as dead cap space like others have prognosticated so why not just do it now and get the upgrade and avoid all the bullshit formalities?

Like a bandaid. Right off.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I did use the sample size I gave you which is 2019 to 2022 for Crosby, Malkin and Bergeron.

I didnt include 2023 for Crosby and Malkin because they didnt make the playoffs so it wont change their ppg

For bergeron he is below without including his 2023 3 games vs the panthers so he still falls behind if you add those 3 games.

I didnt make excuse for those guys, you have your head in the clouds and cant see clearly that Tavares has been a failure as a player and captain in his tenure as a leaf

Leafs continue to lose, Tavares continues to rival David Kampf and Calle Jarnkrok. You put those three together at 1.5M a player and you got a 4th line come playoffs.

Tavares has shown he is a 4C his 2 most recent playoffs. Nothing else to be said

At least over the last 2 playoffs, he is one of the best 4Cs, he has a higher PPG than some of these other 4Cs: Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, Joe Pavelski, Philip Danault, and Charlie Coyle.

Barley trailing some 3rd liners like Hirschier, Reinhart, Zacha, ROR, and Barzal.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
At least over the last 2 playoffs, he is one of the best 4Cs, he has a higher PPG than some of these other 4Cs: Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, Joe Pavelski, Philip Danault, and Charlie Coyle.

Barley trailing some 3rd liners like Hirschier, Reinhart, Zacha, ROR, and Barzal.
Glad we could come to an agreement he has been a 4C for us the past two series

Maybe he can have a dominant playoff and be a 0.6 ppg player again this year. Would be a needed relief for his fans

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Look if JT takes a 4x4 million dollar a year contract to be our 3 C I don’t think we have much to complain about. While good on the draw he has been a non factor 5v5.

So unless you surround him with some speedy wingers that are defensive minded he will have a hard time keeping up with your top players which traditionally the 3C have been tasked with dealing with.

Ideally I would move him to LW and have him be a mentor to Minten and a release valve if he struggles on the draw.

If he isn’t willing to take a massive discount and the option to have 22 million in Cap space is available next season I suggest management think big and get Drai signed!
We need D and a goalie, we don't even have the cap space yet but already there are fans wanting to spend it on fwds yet again.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Because his linemates in Boston actually came to play in the postseason.

Doesn't appear he has this same luxury in Toronto when he's tied for the team lead in scoring.

When every player struggle offensively
- struggle to get secondary scoring from depht player
- always One of worst team in the entire NHL from the production coming off the D.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We need D and a goalie, we don't even have the cap space yet but already there are fans wanting to spend it on fwds yet again.
You get Drai, you get McDavid. 22 Million is coming off the books this summer plus adding another 4-5 million for an increasing cap. Is it ideal? nope but we have cast out dice regarding our D for the most part.

You add Drai and McDavid to the TML it doesn’t matter who we have on D we would likely outscore any issues.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You get Drai, you get McDavid. 22 Million is coming off the books this summer plus adding another 4-5 million for an increasing cap. Is it ideal? nope but we have cast out dice regarding our D for the most part.

You add Drai and McDavid to the TML it doesn’t matter who we have on D we would likely outscore any issues.
Screenshot_2024-08-03-07-11-26~2.png

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

Turn the PlayStation off buddy

You aren’t getting Mcdavid or Draisaitl. Let alone both. Moreover, basing your team off the idea of either/both of them joining the team is idiotic. Leave a plan of action in case you have the opportunity to get them, but don’t base the team off trying to get them.

moreover, Matthews and Nylander will find a way to make those two guys 75 point players in the playoffs

Sep 18, 2009
Turn the PlayStation off buddy

You aren’t getting Mcdavid or Draisaitl. Let alone both. Moreover, basing your team off the idea of either/both of them joining the team is idiotic. Leave a plan of action in case you have the opportunity to get them, but don’t base the team off trying to get them.

moreover, Matthews and Nylander will find a way to make those two guys 75 point players in the playoffs
You can swap the core huberdeau gone tkachuck in win cup that type of thing

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Never said anything of the sort
and yet your consumed with the Leafs re-singing him to another overpayment until he's close to 40 even though you've admitted he's been pathetic in the playoffs during his time here

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
and yet your consumed with the Leafs re-singing him to another overpayment until he's close to 40 even though you've admitted he's been pathetic in the playoffs during his time here

I am in no way consumed by the idea of signing him. I think it’s smart business if as long as the deal is the right terms.

We clearly don’t agree on JT but maybe you can forego the theatrics and outright making up things to claim I’ve ever said or implied.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Haven't read through 8 pages of this thread... but honestly, if you're Treliving, I think you have to objectively ask yourself -- who's better?

Chandler Stephenson got a $6.25m 7 year deal. He has scored 20 goals ONCE in this league; and has never hit 70 points.

Sam Bennett would be an interesting target, but again, he's been in the league a long time, and never scored 50 points in a season. I can only imagine what he's going to get paid.

Claude Giroux is going to be 37..better skater than Tavares, but also 2 years older.

If you have to chose between Bennett at $7.5m x 7 years, or Tavares at $5m x 2 years, I can't help but think that Tavares is a better choice... especially if you're going to try to develop Minten, Quillan, or Holmberg as a centre, it might be useful to have a guy like Tavares as winger who can take draws.

Reactions: WillyC and Sypher04

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Haven't read through 8 pages of this thread... but honestly, if you're Treliving, I think you have to objectively ask yourself -- who's better?

Chandler Stephenson got a $6.25m 7 year deal. He has scored 20 goals ONCE in this league; and has never hit 70 points.

Sam Bennett would be an interesting target, but again, he's been in the league a long time, and never scored 50 points in a season. I can only imagine what he's going to get paid.

Claude Giroux is going to be 37..better skater than Tavares, but also 2 years older.

If you have to chose between Bennett at $7.5m x 7 years, or Tavares at $5m x 2 years, I can't help but think that Tavares is a better choice... especially if you're going to try to develop Minten, Quillan, or Holmberg as a centre, it might be useful to have a guy like Tavares as winger who can take draws.
The time to get Sam bennett was missed due to inept management

Majority of people here would not pay a 2nd for him at the time

Panthers got him, helped give him a rile he can thrive in and hes been a great 2C the past 3 years

Gives ~53 pts per 82 in the reg season, avgs >2+ hits a game (with his hits often being large and noticable), gets ~17 mins a game and limited PP usage so doesnt need high prime time offensive role to produce and be effective

He was 24 when acquired. Will be a UFA at 29 or so. We missed the boat big time by not acquiring him when he was there for the taking in 2021

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Panthers got him, helped give him a rile he can thrive in and hes been a great 2C the past 3 years

Gives ~53 pts per 82 in the reg season, avgs >2+ hits a game (with his hits often being large and noticable), gets ~17 mins a game and limited PP usage so doesnt need high prime time offensive role to produce and be effective

He was 24 when acquired. Will be a UFA at 29 or so. We missed the boat big time by not acquiring him when he was there for the taking in 2021

Yeah, see him traded at the deadline at the deadline in 2021 was tough.. the literal perfect Nazem Kadri replacement as a 3rd line C for us. Not sure how they would have made the cap work at the time though, and if I recall, the Leafs were fairly shallow on picks so didn't do much at the deadline while leading the Canada Division.

That being said, as much as I'd like to have Sam Bennett today, the prospect of giving him $7m+ on a 7 year deal is a scary one.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Probably about $5 million on a short-term deal...

People acting like he is replacement-level are crazy.

Last year his production dropped because of the PP, not because of ES.

Would love to see him take a discount and be 3C here, we also need to find a better 2C, and currently, our best bet is Domi, but he is not better.
Last year his ES production was boosted by playing with the best winger on the team

This year probably not, as he well may be 3C with Nylander taking over as 2C.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
People have an incredibly out of touch opinion on the value of hockey players. He scored the same amount of goals as seven other NHLers last year (Marchand, Kadri, Fiala, Thompson, McCann, Robertson, Boldy) and their average cap hit is 6,841,836. Only one of them makes less than 6 (McCann) and five of them make 7 or more (all but Marchand).

This is not to suggest we should be offering 7 x 7 or something like that, but if we got him at 3 or 4 years at 4 or 5 million, that's a discount (even if you don't want to believe that it is).

And I'd bet this rumour is true, especially after how he's handled the C situation, so if you think we're gonna see him off into UFA or sign him for something ridiculous like league minimum (even the 2 million suggestions are funny), you better make like Samuel L. Jackson and hold onto your butts.
How may of those played with one of the five top point producing wingers (both right and left) in the league?

Reactions: hotpaws

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Last year his ES production was boosted by playing with the best winger on the team

This year probably not, as he well may be 3C with Nylander taking over as 2C.

Was still high 2C/low 1C production at ES, not sure it'd drop out of the 2C level no matter who he plays with... he will likely still be with the 2nd best W on our team like he was last year, but maybe they give him our best W, who knows.

If Nylander can play C, I'd be happy, I want Marner/Tavares as L2, Nylander as 3C, and Matthews/Domi as L1, it'd be ideal if Nylander can handle C.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I am in no way consumed by the idea of signing him. I think it’s smart business if as long as the deal is the right terms.

We clearly don’t agree on JT but maybe you can forego the theatrics and outright making up things to claim I’ve ever said or implied.
love to know what you believe are the ''right terms''

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Was still high 2C/low 1C production at ES, not sure it'd drop out of the 2C level no matter who he plays with... he will likely still be with the 2nd best W on our team like he was last year, but maybe they give him our best W, who knows.

If Nylander can play C, I'd be happy, I want Marner/Tavares as L2, Nylander as 3C, and Matthews/Domi as L1, it'd be ideal if Nylander can handle C.
I don't know why you want to put the second-best player on the team on the third line, but that's your opinion.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I don't know why you want to put the second-best player on the team on the third line, but that's your opinion.

I want to put the 3rd best player there because he can drive a 3rd line with minimal help, he can be deployed offensively only, and he can double shift on someone's wing for offensive zone draws and still hit 20 minutes a night.

Pretty easy to see the advantage here.

If you want a 4th line that is defensive, a 3rd line that sucks, and 2 stacked top lines, we can do that.

I'd rather spread things out across the top 3 lines and load up when needed, and then a defensive 4th line.

Reactions: banks

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I remember asking for him just for the fact he ups his game in the playoffs...nevermind what he does in the reg season. Too bad he wasn't a Dubas type player (soft and shit in the playoffs)

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
O reilly is a good comparison. O reilly cap hit is 4.5 million. Factor in Tavares knowing he is over paid for the last 5 years especially now, he is over paid by 4 or 5 million per. A fair deal is 3 or 3,5 million cap hit over 3 years. His skating is only going to get worse each year. O reilly is a little younger and a better player right now. Ideally he takes 1 million per on a 3 or 4 yr deal. Also, let him know he has a job on the front office with the Leafs when he retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad