Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Again. Tunnel vison. It's not a buyout or nothing in this league. The Oilers simply made the choice to not trade assets for cap space. They choose to go the easy route. Buy him out.

Maybe they could have used the draft picks they wasted on Athanasiou to trade Neal and gain the whole 5.75M.

You’re not dumping that whole Neal deal for 2 seconds. The problem with your entire thesis is that you seem to have a completely out to lunch view of the picks required to dump a multi year $5+M deal. Especially at that point with a flat cap into the foreseeable future.

This fantasyland stuff in order to justify a strange fundamentalist fear of cap penalties no matter how blatantly logical they are.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I already posted thus but because you're being condescending I'll just repost the math.

Keeping Campbell and burying him in the minors means you would have 3.9M x 3 years or 11.7M in dead cap right in the window when we need it most.

A buyout is only 10.5M over 6 years. So it's less money and it being spread out makes it much more manageable.

Y1: 3.9M - 1M = 2.8M savings
Y2: 3.9M - 2.3M = 1.6M savings
Y3: 3.9M - 2.6M = 1.3M savings

Thats 5.7 In savings the first years. Then you have 1.5 x 3 years or 4.5 in dead cap in years 4,5,6 as the cap goes up.

I think the biggest mistake you're making when figuring out how much it costs to unload a contract is that you aren't looking at salary. Toronto paid a 1st to dump 5M. That was only 1 year and much more palatable for a team to take on. We would be asking a team to do that 3 times, regardless of the buyout. Teams don't take on bad contracts just to buy them out and sit on their books for 6 years.
When people ignore numbers and insult me I tend to get a bit condesending. ;)

It's not buyout or nothing scenario. You can trade players if you want to pay the price.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
One thing I've learned in life is their is just no pleasing some people. Their expectations are so far outside reality that results in complaining without offering any sort of realistic option.

Some people will just complain regardless and take the opposite stance of things because they don't know any other way.
Well...certainly going forward it is the best option. That being said, it would be nice to go a single f***ing year without dead cap space on the books. Campbell signing was an epic fail, on that we can all agree.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
He makes $5M.

Find me one single other example of a garbage contract with multiple seasons of a player making $5M+ going away for a single second round pick or even 2 second round picks. Just one.

Yeah, the closest example is the Cal Petersen trade. He only had 2 more years @ $5 million (one year less than Campbell). The Kings packaged him with Sean Walker and a second and still had to retain $2 million in salary. The assets to get a team to take the Campbell contract would've been astronomical.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
He makes $5M.

Find me one single other example of a garbage contract with multiple seasons of a player making $5M+ going away for a single second round pick or even 2 second round picks. Just one.

The problem with some of these comparisons (like Mikheyev for example) is that he might bounce back. You can move him around the roster and get him linemates to make him better.

With a goalie like Campbell your pretty much stuck with him being an AHL backup and doesn't really have the same flexibility. Campbell is basically already dead cap while other guys might still have some value at a lower cap.

When people ignore numbers and insult me I tend to get a bit condesending. ;)

It's not buyout or nothing scenario. You can trade players if you want to pay the price.

So realistically what would you have done?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The problem with some of these comparisons (like Mikheyev for example) is that he might bounce back. You can move him around the roster and get him linemates to make him better.

With a goalie like Campbell your pretty much stuck with him being an AHL backup and doesn't really have the same flexibility. Campbell is basically already dead cap while other guys might still have some value at a lower cap.

Also players that aren’t goalies can play a role. Mikheyev can skate and can PK even if he still doesn’t score. You can pull some value out of him even if he’s overpaid.

A shit goalie is a shit goalie. There is no hiding him anywhere.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the closest example is the Cal Petersen trade. He only had 2 more years @ $5 million (one year less than Campbell). The Kings packed him with Sean Walker and a second and still had to retain $2 million in salary. The assets to get a team to take the Campbell contract would've been astronomical.
Yup plus more than that actually. This is how it ultimately broke down:

KINGS SPENT:
2.03Mx2years Dead Cap (30% Retention on Provorov)
Sean Walker (Bottom pair RHD at 2.65Mx1year)
Helge Grans (2020 2nd Rd Pick - looks like a nothing prospect)
2024 2nd Rd Pick

KINGS GOT BACK:
Connaughton (AHLer - so nothing player really)
Hodgson (AHLer - so nothing player really)
5M x 2 years Cap Savings (Cal Petersen)

So with Campbell, we'd be looking to dump 5Mx3. With zero retention involved by us we are look at 3 2nds++. Actually maybe less than that these days since Flat Cap era is subsiding.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Both of those players have hit elite thresholds of production and both contribute to special teams units that play a large part in the success of this team.

Kane is a expensive luxury. And we've watched him become less and less of a need here.
Right, but nuge plays exclusively with either mcdavid or drai

An injured kane had 4 less even strength points then nuge

For a team clamoring for years about a lack of winger depth...I wouldn't be so quick to trade it away

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I already posted thus but because you're being condescending I'll just repost the math.

Keeping Campbell and burying him in the minors means you would have 3.9M x 3 years or 11.7M in dead cap right in the window when we need it most.

A buyout is only 10.5M over 6 years. So it's less money and it being spread out makes it much more manageable.

Y1: 3.9M - 1M = 2.8M savings
Y2: 3.9M - 2.3M = 1.6M savings
Y3: 3.9M - 2.6M = 1.3M savings

Thats 5.7 In savings the first years. Then you have 1.5 x 3 years or 4.5 in dead cap in years 4,5,6 as the cap goes up.

I think the biggest mistake you're making when figuring out how much it costs to unload a contract is that you aren't looking at salary. Toronto paid a 1st to dump 5M. That was only 1 year and much more palatable for a team to take on. We would be asking a team to do that 3 times, regardless of the buyout. Teams don't take on bad contracts just to buy them out and sit on their books for 6 years.
Campbells contract cost the team 3.9 mil in cap space this year due to being in the minors. It would be the same next year. That's his hit.

Buying him out means you save 3.9 this year out of 5. In reality you are paying 1.1m out of 3.9m. Hence the 2.8 in saving.

It gets worse in year 2 and 3 where the "savings" are only 1.6M and then 1.3M.

Now if they bit the bullet and paid the cost of trading him, they would save a full 3.9M over three years and another 1.5 mil for the three years after that.

It's not as rosy as some may think.

Reactions: McDoused

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Again. Tunnel vison. It's not a buyout or nothing in this league. The Oilers simply made the choice to not trade assets for cap space. They choose to go the easy route. Buy him out.

Maybe they could have used the draft picks they wasted on Athanasiou to trade Neal and gain the whole 5.75M.

If they had "simply made the choice to buy him out", they would have bought him out on day 1 of the window - not the last possible second while they pursued a trade according to literally every mainstream news outlet who talked about this at all.

You think you're making a point but you're not. You simply do not know the asking price on that cap dump & if you did, I'm guessing you would very probably agree with the decision to buy him out instead.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Full list of guys who didn't get a QO(so far) here: 2024 NHL Free Agents - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

giphy.gif

Hopefully we can bring back some of our guys so that we don't have to go dumpster diving this year.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Right, but nuge plays exclusively with either mcdavid or drai

An injured kane had 4 less even strength points then nuge

For a team clamoring for years about a lack of winger depth...I wouldn't be so quick to trade it away
Kane's even strength production last season is one of the few reasons why there'd be any sort of market for him without having to take bad salary back.

I'd trade Kane away for nothing. The 'wing depth' we're worried about had little to do with McPoints. Warren Foegele putting up 30 away from 15-15-30 away from those two is what's going to hurt. Being unable to fill in if Henrique or Brown walk will hurt.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Getting kind of nervous since we haven’t re-signed any of our UFAs. Hopefully there isn’t a mass exodus similar to the 2006 offseason.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Did you predict AA was gonna tank? He did score 35 goals the year before he came here, so paying 2 2nd's was a pretty safe gamble. But it didn't pan out after. Again, shoulda, woulda, coulda. Just move on.
It's applicable to the buyout argument.

They are doing the exact same thing again. Cap space doesn't walk at the end of the season. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 9
    Staked: $30,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00