Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yes, by spreading out the penalty over more years it becomes more palatable and easy to manage. Thanks for proving my point for me.
No it does not because the biggest cap hit is when the big 3 are up for new deals also a lot more years of dead cap and easier to move with a year or 2 left or buyout than which even becomes a less of a cap hit than now and less dead years it was a dumb move IMO

Reactions: foshizzle

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No it does not because the biggest cap hit is when the big 3 are up for new deals also a lot more years of dead cap and easier to move with a year or 2 left or buyout than which even becomes a less of a cap hit than now and less dead years it was a dumb move IMO

Cap is expected to escalate by $4M annually for the next few years. The penalty is mathematically irrelevant.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Cap is expected to escalate by $4M annually for the next few years. The penalty is mathematically irrelevant.
and our cap will only go up 1.7 million next year 1.3 million the year after followed by 2.5 million the next 3 because of the buyout lol

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Which one of RNH, Hyman or Kane would you prefer to not have on the Oilers with Neal in their place?

That’s the choice you’re making if they didn’t buy him out.
For the record, I argued against the Neal buyout as well. Shortsighted.

5.75M was the Neal contract.

1.9+1.1= 3Mil. He did not have a NMC. So they lost 3M for the first two years.

They "Saved" 2.75 Mil for 2 years and then took a full penalty of 1.9M for another two years. That full penalty coincided with this cup run and next. That space would've been a Buchnevich this year.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

They "Saved" 2.75 Mil for 2 years and then took a full penalty of 1.9M for another two years. That full penalty coincided with this cup run and next. That space would've been a Buchnevich this year.

Ok.

Again, which of those three players would you not want on the Oilers with Neal in their place? Speaking of math, it’s mathematically impossible to have all three of those players if Neal wasn’t bought out.

Would have to go back and check, but I don’t think it would have been mathematically possible to even dress a roster on opening night in 21-22 if Neal wasn’t bought out.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
That there are people complaining about the Campbell buyout is just insane to me.

Completely bananas.
It amazes me how cap space has meant so little to this organization over the years.

When you look at the actual math, these buyouts are not that impressive unless you ignore the underlying numbers.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. There's no way to predict what would be and what wouldn't be. But we do need the cap space now instead of just holding onto Campbell and letting him rot in the AHL. This isn't just to free cap, but to give Campbell a chance somewhere else too. In the end, it's minuscule to be nickeling and diming just to save a penny to the dollar. Then there is the cap going up. If the cap wasn't going up, I'd understand, but with it going up, this won't make any difference anyways.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Math.

You only "save" 2.7 because 1.15M can be buried in the minors.

You are penalized 2.3 (much more in years 2 and 3) because you could have saved 5 million but shiny draft picks and prospects are more important.

I already stated it, but I'll repeat myself. ;)

The going rate for 2 mil over three years is a 2nd round draft pick. He was an UFA. Just act like you had to trade for him.

I already posted thus but because you're being condescending I'll just repost the math.

Keeping Campbell and burying him in the minors means you would have 3.9M x 3 years or 11.7M in dead cap right in the window when we need it most.

A buyout is only 10.5M over 6 years. So it's less money and it being spread out makes it much more manageable.

Y1: 3.9M - 1M = 2.8M savings
Y2: 3.9M - 2.3M = 1.6M savings
Y3: 3.9M - 2.6M = 1.3M savings

Thats 5.7 In savings the first years. Then you have 1.5 x 3 years or 4.5 in dead cap in years 4,5,6 as the cap goes up.

I think the biggest mistake you're making when figuring out how much it costs to unload a contract is that you aren't looking at salary. Toronto paid a 1st to dump 5M. That was only 1 year and much more palatable for a team to take on. We would be asking a team to do that 3 times, regardless of the buyout. Teams don't take on bad contracts just to buy them out and sit on their books for 6 years.

Reactions: K1984

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Ok.

Again, which of those three players would you not want on the Oilers with Neal in their place. Speaking of math, it’s mathematically impossible to have all three of those players if Neal wasn’t bought out.

Would have to go back and check, but I don’t think it would have been mathematically possible to even dress a roster on opening night in 21-22 if Neal wasn’t bought out.
Again. Tunnel vison. It's not a buyout or nothing in this league. The Oilers simply made the choice to not trade assets for cap space. They choose to go the easy route. Buy him out.

Maybe they could have used the draft picks they wasted on Athanasiou to trade Neal and gain the whole 5.75M.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To be fair tho, how many points would hyman or nuge get playing in the bottom 6? I don't think any player putting up any points on any line is "leeching" points
Both of those players have hit elite thresholds of production and both contribute to special teams units that play a large part in the success of this team.

Kane is a expensive luxury. And we've watched him become less and less of a need here.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
That there are people complaining about the Campbell buyout is just insane to me.

Completely bananas.

One thing I've learned in life is their is just no pleasing some people. Their expectations are so far outside reality that results in complaining without offering any sort of realistic option.

Some people will just complain regardless and take the opposite stance of things because they don't know any other way.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Again. Tunnel vison. It's not a buyout or nothing in this league. The Oilers simply made the choice to not trade assets for cap space. They choose to go the easy route. Buy him out.

Maybe they could have used the draft picks they wasted on Athanasiou to trade Neal and gain the whole 5.75M.

Did you predict AA was gonna tank? He did score 35 goals the year before he came here, so paying 2 2nd's was a pretty safe gamble. But it didn't pan out after. Again, shoulda, woulda, coulda. Just move on.

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad