Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I do wonder if it is easier or more difficult for a previous agent to negotiate free agency with current agents. Like is that an advantage or disadvantage.

I agree with some folks here that maybe Jackson is prioritizing a GM hire over the free agents to allow the GM to leave their mark on the team. But this could be a trap because if you can't get your guy before free agency starts as we could be left holding the bag of shit when all the good options are gone.
Imagine this would be professional negotiations with both parties trained and experienced with contract negotiations. But not done within a bubble in that an inefficient market driven by emotion and prospectively other suiters drive up pricing. Jackson I imagine has his walkaway point in all discussions (especially with very thin cap bucks to spend).

I don't think Jackson is prioritizing one function over another. He was hired to build out an organizational strategic vision which I fully believed mapped out short-term contingency planning (aka Oilers play until end of June) with known time drive activities (NHL Draft June 28-29; Free Agency begins July 1; Oilers need a new GM). We saw them move into round 1 at the Draft so he's driving key decisions with functional managers around him.

He's been pretty clear and their cap situation dictates alot of it. Focus on returning support pieces for their Game 7 Cup Final Team and augment around the edges in free agency.

But this is the summer of Jeff Jackson where we firmly see the next phase of this team take shape.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would we take a look at Boqvist? Or even Alex Nylander? Seems to be some OK buy low options out there.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
DeBrusk seems primed for an overpay. I bet he signs for 5.5M+ x 5+yrs or something along those lines. Detroit would totally do that and has the cap space. Seattle might be in the mix too.

I'm in the same boat. I'm okay with 5M or less but anything over that is not going to age well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I think they could sign Brown, Janmark, Holloway, Broberg, and VD for about $6M. They are in a decent position right now to add more impact players, especially if they move Ceci.
I think Brown and Janmark want to dtay If term is at least 3 -4 years, down to 1 - 1,5 millions. They know they got importance here, is like in the room, and will play and could win the cup.
Holloway is bridge-able for 2 years, and VD has his best shot at winning here, If he cares - but VD is my least prio of those players, I would offer VD- as a 6D 3 years x 1,5 millions.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I'm okay with 5M or less but anything over that is not going to age well.
DeBrusk is that player that May bloss9m eith McDavid beacuse hockeysense. But he just crawl over 20 goals each season, Im not that impressed, 5 millions is much of potential scoring. I would offer 5 millions over 5 years.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Where are you guys getting this from? Yes they have roster spots to fill but they have $13m to spend and no big contract re-signs outside of possibly Henrique who is likely gone anyway. They'll have some money to spend and they have moveable contracts if they want to create more space.

Guess it depends what we end of paying for guys like Brown, Janmark, Holloway, Broberg etc. Also depends on what roster size we are using (I hope we are using 23 after a long playoff run).

Team probably needs a winger for Draisaitl, a D upgrade and another C if Henrique isn’t back.

Hopefully they can fill 2 of them with current cap space.

I agree we have more room if we move out of contracts like Ceci but so far it hasn’t happened. And usually after day 1 FA, the offseason is pretty close to being over.

We will see.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Tanks hyman.. ah, never mind. It was a chance. But you dont buy a goalie that is questioned for 5 millions. That was Holland 2nd bad move.
Imo the cash aav was fine but the term was the dumb part. And I never thought any team would give him that deal. You'd think maybe we asked for 5 million x3 and he wanted 5.5 or 6 so we gave him those extra years but that's just madness.

Honestly I think Campbell was probably fine with 5 million x3 or maybe less aav but Holland thought he'd outsmart the system. I really think he thought Campbell might turn into a high AAV goalie here, like worth 7-9 million. Just a baaad gamble from the start

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I could see Brown and Janmark asking for at least $1.5 million and maybe up to $2 million of multi year deals. Holloway and Broberg should be cheap 2 year deals IMO. So let's say $3-$4 million for Brown and Janmark combined, $2.5 million for Holloway + Broberg, that's $5.5-$6.5 million for those 4 key players. Vinny probably wants Hakanpaa type money which is $1.5 million. If he really wants to stay he needs to take closer to $1.25 million IMO. That takes us to $6.75-$7.75 million and still needing 4 more forwards so somewhere around $5,183,000-$6,183,000 to get those 4 players which means we could add a $3 million forward if the rest are league minimum types of players. Ideally we shed Ceci's contract and maybe Kulak's too and add a quality RD to try and pull Nurse out of his rough patch. If Henrique wants over $3 million we can't afford him.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-?
Broberg-Desharnais
Kick out Campbell, Nurse and Ceci.

Nurse could be traded for sametinget, like a top 6 winger, Who is good but overpaid = a win.

The diffeence of 1,25 and 1,5 on VD, 0,25 is nothing to complain about.

Reactions: McHelpus

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He had a few days beforehand to get them signed along with Pickard. I'm just giving him the amount of rope this board gives to any of the other managers that have gone through here.

Don't make promises if you can't deliver on them. I'll be happy to be proven wrong on that when Brown and Janmark sign extensions

Not really. They lost the final, fly back which is a full day, had to deal with the Holland stuff, players are still in a bit of a shock, and prep for the draft. That’s all in 3-4 days.

And for all we know he’s been giving out offers, none of which have been accepted yet or still in the process if negotiating.

I also don’t know where JJ promised he would sign anyone. He just said he’d be getting to work trying to get them signed.

As for rope the board gives GMs its about 6” long I think. That said they’ve not earned much more than that in the end.

I was expecting a lot more action. Were under 20 hours away from free agency.

As my avatar quote or whatever it’s called says; “Life is better with no expectations”.

Reactions: McDoused

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Imo the cash aav was fine but the term was the dumb part. And I never thought any team would give him that deal. You'd think maybe we asked for 5 million x3 and he wanted 5.5 or 6 so we gave him those extra years but that's just madness.

Honestly I think Campbell was probably fine with 5 million x3 or maybe less aav but Holland thought he'd outsmart the system. I really think he thought Campbell might turn into a high AAV goalie here, like worth 7-9 million. Just a baaad gamble from the start
Maybe it was because it was Edmonton. I bet Campbell could be bought inte a prove me contract of 3,5 -4 millions, 1 year.
But that summer was an awful goalie summer. But really, was there anynother team willing to pay even 4 to 5 millions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad