Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So when the powers that be do something we disagree with, be it our national government or local sports team, we should just suck it up?

Nice philosophy.
When we lack all of the necessary information, sometimes it's just uninformed anger. And it contributes nothing to my own quality of life.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I believe he should have taken responsibility against an employee engaging in criminal activity on his watch instead of hushing it down for the sake of on-ice success.

By doing what exactly?

Aldrich was already relieved of his duties. By Beach's own testimony at the time he didn't want it to be a big deal, he just wanted to move on.

Idk. I don't even think Bowman is a good GM candidate, I just don't really think he had much ability to affect positive change on the situation outside of what he already did. It wouldn't be his responsibility to disclose the criminal conduct of hawks employees, nor would it be his responsibility to institute trainings, or initiate police proceedings.

So what mechanism exactly do you think Bowman failed to utilize?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So is the plan to play our Rookie-ish defenceman on his off side in Broberg? Not a fan.
He's played almost exclusively his offside in Edmonton and a lot in Bakersfield. If he plays like he did in the playoffs there is nothing to worry about. Upgrade Ceci and we'll have a much better defence that can actually move the puck and transition out of trouble.

Reactions: Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
You're right. He was negligent.

He had also been suspended for two years.
Do you think he has paid his dues and might do things differently next time?
1) I hope there isn’t a next time.

2) He and the Blackhawks provided the ability for that man to go and victimize others. Do you think those people might still be dealing with repercussions from the abuse? These people very likely will be dealing with lifelong consequences from the abuse they suffered so do I think two years is enough? No forget that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's played almost exclusively his offside in Edmonton and a lot in Bakersfield. If he plays like he did in the playoffs there is nothing to worry about. Upgrade Ceci and we'll have a much better defence that can actually move the puck and transition out of trouble.
He showed he can handle it. I just worry about his development. Are we doing what's best for him to reach his best?

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe for once the Oilers don't have to be the ones to give a guy a second chance.

The guy isn't even a particularly good GM history wise. Pick someone else JJ.

Reactions: JeffSkinner53

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

And here I thought having Campbell inducted into the HHOF was going to be the low point for the league this year. Gary never fails in lowering the bar even further.

Yeah, this was a really dumb distraction for free agency day. Honestly a bit of a buzzkill

This league doesn't care about fans getting excited about anything, though

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t think it would be smart to hire Bowman in a Canadian market. I have a hard time believing JJ would hire him but we will see.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I think we likely have a pretty similar level of D next year:
- Bouchard likely a littler worse, as he won't be at "Coffey-levels" of offence every off-season
- Broberg likely gets better due to experience/age
- Ekholm likely regresses a bit due to age
- Ceci likely the same-ish
- Nurse likely a little better based purely on luck
- Kulak likely about the same

I don't see a huge swing one way or the other for our D next off-season. It is still something that the team will have to look at improving at the TDL though.

Balakay14

Sep 17, 2019
If the Oilers go through with hiring Bowman that’s absolutely gross, there should be tons of candidates out there, why hire the one that was involved in covering up sexual assault.

And then looking at his actual GM work (which takes second to his coverup) he’s not even a good GM.

I really really hope it’s not something that will come to fruition. If they do hire him, I honestly think I’d seriously look at cancelling my season tickets, not something I can really overlook, especially as the Oilers try to be leaders in other positive areas, taints all of them.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
There will be growing pains with Broberg but it's time to stick with the guy all season and see. You can coach some mistakes in decision making out of a player's game, and Broberg showed even in the highest pressure situations some glimmers of confidence. They stuck the poor bastard on a pair with Nurse and he miraculously stabilized Nurse's game, to where he wasn't a black hole sieve hemorrhaging goals against. That pairing ended up like +6 or 7 at the end. A f***ing rookie had to be brought in to help Nurse.. but that's another story.

Time to stick with him and see what he has over the full course of an NHL season.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He got suspended for 2 years… do people really think he should be suspended the rest of his life? That’s insane.

I don’t want him as our GM though, I just don’t think he’s very good.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
After the optics of bringing Kane here isn't there someone just as good or better than Bowman to run our organization?
People need to let it go on the "optics" of Kane. His ex wife is clearly mentally ill as evidenced by everything she has done in the past 3 years. He's been a good Oiler his entire time here both on the ice and off with his community work. I know this is a crazy concept for some, but sometimes immature 20 year olds can mature in their late 20s and into their 30s. The Kane slander is just getting annoying at this point. Stop bringing it up.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Janmark and Henrique still free agents. They are either gone or the oilers are trying to clear cap.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your quality of life does indeed seem to occupy the superior station here.
Okay?

I'm good talking about Trade Rumors and Proposals. It is July 1st after all. Zero cares about Jeff Jackson's search for the manager. I just hope they can convince all of our good players to sign.

Hockey forum.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
By doing what exactly?

Aldrich was already relieved of his duties. By Beach's own testimony at the time he didn't want it to be a big deal, he just wanted to move on.

Idk. I don't even think Bowman is a good GM candidate, I just don't really think he had much ability to affect positive change on the situation outside of what he already did. It wouldn't be his responsibility to disclose the criminal conduct of hawks employees, nor would it be his responsibility to institute trainings, or initiate police proceedings.

So what mechanism exactly do you think Bowman failed to utilize?
He was the senior executive being negligent with an employee engaging in criminal activity on his watch. I have already stated this.

I would have expected him to act forcefully to ensure that Aldrich faced the music instead of, you know, getting a letter of recommendation so he could go on and abuse further victims. Why do you think Bowman was suspended if he did nothing wrong? Just optics?

I need to go now so I can't engage further in this, but I hope Bowman does not become the Oilers GM. Optics and poor GM skills being of less importance than his negligence to my personal reason for holding this opinion.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There will be growing pains with Broberg but it's time to stick with the guy all season and see. You can coach some mistakes in decision making out of a player's game, and Broberg showed even in the highest pressure situations some glimmers of confidence. They stuck the poor bastard on a pair with Nurse and he miraculously stabilized Nurse's game, to where he wasn't a black hole sieve hemorrhaging goals against. That pairing ended up like +6 or 7 at the end. A f***ing rookie had to be brought in to help Nurse.. but that's another story.

Time to stick with him and see what he has over the full course of an NHL season.
His development arc is not far off from Klefbom's at this point. The only difference is Klef was given opportunity because he played on a bad team, and Broberg wasn't because he played on a cup contender.

Reactions: Shizuka

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
People need to let it go on the "optics" of Kane. His ex wife is clearly mentally ill as evidenced by everything she has done in the past 3 years. He's been a good Oiler his entire time here both on the ice and off with his community work. I know this is a crazy concept for some, but sometimes immature 20 year olds can mature in their late 20s and into their 30s. The Kane slander is just getting annoying at this point. Stop bringing it up.
Yes
The Winnipeg locker room agrees and now there are rumblings our locker room loves him too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad