Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There will be growing pains with Broberg but it's time to stick with the guy all season and see. You can coach some mistakes in decision making out of a player's game, and Broberg showed even in the highest pressure situations some glimmers of confidence. They stuck the poor bastard on a pair with Nurse and he miraculously stabilized Nurse's game, to where he wasn't a black hole sieve hemorrhaging goals against. That pairing ended up like +6 or 7 at the end. A f***ing rookie had to be brought in to help Nurse.. but that's another story.

Time to stick with him and see what he has over the full course of an NHL season.

Broberg isn't some raw rookie anymore either. He is 23 years old, played 81 regular season NHL games, 18 NHL playoff games, and 88 AHL games. He was the top minute guy on the AHL last year, playing in all situations, and just played on the 2nd pairing for the entire stanley cup final.

If there is a Dman ready to take a next step, then this is the guy.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Janmark and Henrique still free agents. They are either gone or the oilers are trying to clear cap.

I don’t think they need to clear cap to sign Janmark. I am surprised he hasn’t signed at this point. Longer it goes, probably the less likely.

Don’t know about Henrique though. Wonder if he just misread the market.

Reactions: McHelpus

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Broberg isn't some raw rookie anymore either. He is 23 years old, played 81 regular season NHL games, 18 NHL playoff games, and 88 AHL games. He was the top minute guy on the AHL last year, playing in all situations, and just played on the 2nd pairing for the entire stanley cup final.

If there is a Dman ready to take a next step, then this is the guy.
Yup, it's time for the guy to show whether he has it or not. I'm more hopeful than pessimistic, but it's ultimately on the guy to prove it now and earn the coaching staff's trust.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
People need to let it go on the "optics" of Kane. His ex wife is clearly mentally ill as evidenced by everything she has done in the past 3 years. He's been a good Oiler his entire time here both on the ice and off with his community work. I know this is a crazy concept for some, but sometimes immature 20 year olds can mature in their late 20s and into their 30s. The Kane slander is just getting annoying at this point. Stop bringing it up.
Kane is such a bad guy that he managed to get full custody of his kids, which is very hard for the man to do.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People need to let it go on the "optics" of Kane. His ex wife is clearly mentally ill as evidenced by everything she has done in the past 3 years. He's been a good Oiler his entire time here both on the ice and off with his community work. I know this is a crazy concept for some, but sometimes immature 20 year olds can mature in their late 20s and into their 30s. The Kane slander is just getting annoying at this point. Stop bringing it up.
Look into the details of the "bad" stuff he did. And there's alot of nothing burger there. Mostly all nothing burger.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Its fine. Landeskog will go on LTIR and the NHL will void the Nikushin contract.
Yeh I didn't think it was that bad. And they could manage if/when those two things happen.

Why is Frank calling it Hellacious though. That's quite the take to put out there in his position.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kane is such a bad guy that he managed to get full custody of his kids, which is very hard for the man to do.
All you really have to do is follow his ex wife's antics the past 3 years and you'll see how mentally ill and unstable she is. She's lost any credibility she ever had regarding Evander. I don't doubt they probably had a toxic relationship, but she's bordering on psychotic obsessive stalker levels over him these days.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
100%

The Kane 'optics' that matter the most are the two years left at $5.25m and the fact that he's proving time and time again that his game and Knoblauch's do not mesh.

As a person, he's been nothing but an outstanding professional who's done the work to improve his own perceived image. I don't see why anyone would bother bringing up his off-ice past at this point.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Look into the details of the "bad" stuff he did. And there's alot of nothing burger there. Mostly all nothing burger.
Edmonton media has been trying to piggyback off that ever since he got here to try to drag him through the mud. I'll take any Kane rumours with a grain of salt until the day they trade him. Even then a trade would likely be for a different team dynamic more so than "locker room problems".

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If Kane is back next year, I'll cheer him on to return to form. His physicality and scoring ability are incredibly valuable.

That said, I've always maintained that one thing all championship teams have in common... everyone is on the same page. Everyone puts the team above their own individual performances. I just found when he was out there in these playoffs, the system died on his stick. I'm hoping that's just injury.

If we are able to move him and get Henrique and Skinner out of it, we can always address toughness at the deadline.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
100%

The Kane 'optics' that matter the most are the two years left at $5.25m and the fact that he's proving time and time again that his game and Knoblauch's do not mesh.

As a person, he's been nothing but an outstanding professional who's done the work to improve his own perceived image. I don't see why anyone would bother bringing up his off-ice past at this point.
I think its a bit unfair to say they don't mesh. I'd like to see him fully healthy on this current squad. He was very positively impactful in the first 2 rounds and start of the Dallas series. I'm ok if they move on from him if it opens up space for a quality Ceci upgrade and re-signing Henrique at 3C, especially given the Arvidsson signing. But I'm also completely fine with them running it back with him hopefully healthy. He's a difference maker when he healthy and can actually skate in more than just straight lines. The injury clearly neutered his effectiveness against a fast Dallas and aggressive Florida team because he had next to no lateral mobility.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
This.

1000%.

I do hope the Oilers move Kane, purely due to financial reasons. His character hasn't been an issue at all. If he was making 3-3.5 mil per, I'd be advocating to keep him around

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This.

1000%.

I do hope the Oilers move Kane, purely due to financial reasons. His character hasn't been an issue at all. If he was making 3-3.5 mil per, I'd be advocating to keep him around
For sure. I will say with the Arvidsson signing he no longer is a need, but rather a luxury, and a pretty good luxury when he's healthy, especially come playoff time.

I do think there is a good argument that Kane+Ceci out = money for 3rd line centre (maybe Henrique) and a #3 RHD. If you told me the Oilers could sign Skinner, Janmark, Henrique and add a good middle pairing RHD then I'd be completely fine with Kane leaving.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
If Kane is back next year, I'll cheer him on to return to form. His physicality and scoring ability are incredibly valuable.

That said, I've always maintained that one thing all championship teams have in common... everyone is on the same page. Everyone puts the team above their own individual performances. I just found when he was out there in these playoffs, the system died on his stick. I'm hoping that's just injury.

If we are able to move him and get Henrique and Skinner out of it, we can always address toughness at the deadline.
That's the conundrum though.. the type of player he is, is not easily replaced or readily available. When he's going he's a factor in games. Aggressive, big hitter, can score, can fight...

However, there were plenty of times he was lazy on the backcheck or defensive assignments and that's pretty inexcusable, especially during the playoffs. I know I didn't like seeing that lack of commitment from a vet.

If they do get rid of him they're back to being pretty damn soft as a forward core, and they'll need to address it ASAP and not simply wait and overpay at the deadline. McDavid and Draisaitl will experience even more abuse with no protection.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The f***? TSN deleted Button's stupidity on the Eklholm-Chychrun trade:

Never ask Button for the lottery numbers
And most of these TSN guys that don't even watch Oilers games need to keep their trap shut.

Reactions: McHelpus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad