Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Nothing good. Let’s all hope it’s just rumors. He always brought a ton of excitement to the BoA.
Unfortunately i dont think its a rumour anymore. Someone would of came out already amd said hey im/he is ok. Very sad indeed. Esp a day before there sisters wedding.....

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
You’d think so, but I’m not so sure. His leaf’s homer glasses, the leaf’s derangement syndrome that comes with it, and his general stupidity puts it up in the air.

The annoying thing is that he's not even a Leafs fan. He's just a whore for social media engagement to build his brand. Like a few years ago when it was BoA playoffs he turned into a Flames fan overnight because Whit was already cheering for the Oilers.

He doesn't have loyalty to any NHL team, he just wants people to react to him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
I used to be in Calgary half the time for work and would catch a ton of Flames games live. Johnny will always be my 2nd favourite player to watch live after Connor, he was incredible. You could tell that guy cared about winning more than anyone on the ice. Breaks my heart to hear this news. Condolences to his family, two brothers gone just like that, what horrible news

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Wow, devastating news about Gaudreau

Was really hoping it wasn't true when the rumors started up, but suspected something was up when no one got out in front of it last night to calm things down

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Apparently both of the Gaudreau brothers were cycling in New Jersey on the eve before their sister’s wedding . They were struck and killed by a suspected drunk driver. Condolences to the whole Gaudreau family. 2 lives lost way too soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I think the Stecher/Emberson need to be a top4 D argument is a kind of moot. Ceci wasn't a top4 D either.

Ultimately, you can say Ceci was not what you want in a top 4 D, but like it or not, he has been a #2-#4 D man (once #5, but had really taken the 4 spot by years end in Pitt) on his team in terms of TOI for 10 years with 7 coaches. And largely on good teams, not crap teams.

Call it the dearth around RHD in the league, but the fact is he has been a top 4 D his whole career across 4 teams. It not like he is a 6/7 journeyman who played one year at #4 minutes. This has to be taken into account when looking at the RHD position, Stecher, Emberson, whomever. They may not be what we want in a top 4 D this year, but given Ceci has been used as a top 4 for a decade, its hard to argue we can expect much better and I honestly expect worse. Especially in the salary cap era where we have a few players taking a massive amount of the cap. you are just going to have not ideal situations in the lineup.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Speculation bouncing all over the place.

Hard pass. I'll bet on Wanner with size, physicality and growth upside. Sign a cheap veteran 2RD to get through to deadline. Get a true RD upgrade then. Fabbro's an age 25 non-descript defender with average size and no bite.
Agreed, this would feel like the Bjugstad trade all over again.

I, @Bryanbryoil a few others were big fans of Kesselring right from the hop so when they viewed him as a throw in for a rental, I was perplexed.

Now Wanner is the new Kesselring for me (has an intriguing skillset and is improving all the time) so if they trade him for a rental, I think I might punch air for a while and I'm just not sure how good Fabbro is, he just seems like a pretty average Dman with minimal upside. I think the Oilers need to hold on to these cheap young upside assets unless there's a clear upgrade, long term solution, available. I know that most people would probably do this trade because it helps now and maybe they feel like Wanner is a small price to pay but I feel like this could be a regrettable trade down the road.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Omg I had hoped this wasn’t true. Wow I can’t believe this.

RIP Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Gaudreau.

Hated it when we played the amazing skilled winger but always had so much respect for him. We will never forget you or Matthew ❤️

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed, this would feel like the Bjugstad trade all over again.

I, @Bryanbryoil a few others were big fans of Kesselring right from the hop so when they viewed him as a throw in for a rental, I was perplexed.

Now Wanner is the new Kesselring for me (has an intriguing skillset and is improving all the time) so if they trade him for a rental, I think I might punch air for a while and I'm just not sure how good Fabbro is, he just seems like a pretty average Dman with minimal upside. I think the Oilers need to hold on to these cheap young upside assets unless there's a clear upgrade, long term solution, available. I know that most people would probably do this trade because it helps now and maybe they feel like Wanner is a small price to pay but I feel like this could be a regrettable trade down the road.
Yup. Liked Kessenring too. Hard to find big body guys who skate like that, shoot right, and have strong upwardly mobile potential when he left college early. Dad was an ex-pro and coach. That was a tough prospect to give up. Armstrong is a strong scouting guy out of the Blues organization so he shrewdly snagged Kesselring from a team that needed a rental player and retention.

Wanner's different with size and hard ice game but a real nice package that showed really well as a first year pro. The unknown of covid draft players reinforce this is a kid worth keeping and nurturing his development. Personally I prefer size and hard ice defenders for playoff hockey marathon situations. Besides no reason to clog their cap now with a nondescript NHL 3rd pair experience with some potential to maybe play at 2RD. The Oilers already have 3RD/7 dmen. With cheap proven veteran 2RD available I'd look elsewhere too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad