Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Ultimately, you can say Ceci was not what you want in a top 4 D, but like it or not, he has been a #2-#4 D man (once #5, but had really taken the 4 spot by years end in Pitt) on his team in terms of TOI for 10 years with 7 coaches. And largely on good teams, not crap teams.

Call it the dearth around RHD in the league, but the fact is he has been a top 4 D his whole career across 4 teams. It not like he is a 6/7 journeyman who played one year at #4 minutes. This has to be taken into account when looking at the RHD position, Stecher, Emberson, whomever. They may not be what we want in a top 4 D this year, but given Ceci has been used as a top 4 for a decade, its hard to argue we can expect much better and I honestly expect worse. Especially in the salary cap era where we have a few players taking a massive amount of the cap. you are just going to have not ideal situations in the lineup.
No doubt that Ceci was a good soldier and a capable middle pairing defender but something that often gets overlooked is a players suitability to the role and in that case I think there is a lot of evidence that while Ceci did an admirable job he was a great fit for the role they want him in and I think that has a lot to do with the fact of why he was traded because really if they wanted to keep him they could of made the money work, it would of been tight but there was a path.

I’m guessing there was more then a couple voices in the organization who saw Emberson as a better fit then Ceci even though he doesn’t have the same track record of experience, his tools are more suited to the role then Ceci and he has shown promise both at the AHL level and in a very short sample at the NHL level. I think they saw this as an opportunity to get a guy they deem a better fit, who’s at the later stages of development, who’s cheaper and could provide a better longer term option then Ceci but who also gives them cap flexibility to make other moves this season if needed.

If I was Emberson, I would be spending my time studying Nurses game and learning how I can fill the gaps because that’s how a player like him is going to make himself valuable for the team, by supporting Nurses game.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No doubt that Ceci was a good soldier and a capable middle pairing defender but something that often gets overlooked is a players suitability to the role and in that case I think there is a lot of evidence that while Ceci did an admirable job he was a great fit for the role they want him in and I think that has a lot to do with the fact of why he was traded because really if they wanted to keep him they could of made the money work, it would of been tight but there was a path.

I’m guessing there was more then a couple voices in the organization who saw Emberson as a better fit then Ceci even though he doesn’t have the same track record of experience, his tools are more suited to the role then Ceci and he has shown promise both at the AHL level and in a very short sample at the NHL level. I think they saw this as an opportunity to get a guy they deem a better fit, who’s at the later stages of development, who’s cheaper and could provide a better longer term option then Ceci but who also gives them cap flexibility to make other moves this season if needed.

If I was Emberson, I would be spending my time studying Nurses game and learning how I can fill the gaps because that’s how a player like him is going to make himself valuable for the team, by supporting Nurses game.
The big picture was creating cap space to enter season cap compliant and to bluff the Blues to include more assets in the Broberg offer sheet. Emberson is a decent small sample get with AHL proving points with Knoblauch.

He adds more depth to a third pair and 7th defenseman grouping of Stetcher and Brown. Essentially the Oilers pre-paid for their trade deadline depth with the cheap x2 & x3 deals to Stetcher and Brown. All draft pick collateral will lock in for roster upgrades and/or double retention. Smart approach.

Emberson will need to play with his expiring deal and stage of development because there may be some prospective, latent growth in his raw game. Kinda think though the Oilers sign a cheap, established NHL veteran to drop into not easy to replace middle pair minutes and hard ice situational play like PK and tight games. A 30 NHL small sample to 2nd pair Cup finalist is a massive leap and a leap of faith for an organization locked in to win their final game of the season.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The big picture was creating cap space to enter season cap compliant and to bluff the Blues to include more assets in the Broberg offer sheet. Emberson is a decent small sample get with AHL proving points with Knoblauch.

He adds more depth to a third pair and 7th defenseman grouping of Stetcher and Brown. Essentially the Oilers pre-paid for their trade deadline depth with the cheap x2 & x3 deals to Stetcher and Brown. All draft pick collateral will lock in for roster upgrades and/or double retention. Smart approach.

Emberson will need to play with his expiring deal and stage of development because there may be some prospective, latent growth in his raw game. Kinda think though the Oilers sign a cheap, established NHL veteran to drop into not easy to replace middle pair minutes and hard ice situational play like PK and tight games. A 30 NHL small sample to 2nd pair Cup finalist is a massive leap and a leap of faith for an organization locked in to win their final game of the season.
I agree with all of this but I think they might see a little more in Emberson than just a 6/7 defender. He is what I would call a low ceiling guy and these types tend to be able to have an easier time making the jump. As I’ve said before I think his strengths suit the role they envision for him, which while important, isn’t a top role on the team. In addition to a very clear roll, I think the teams structure will make the transition easier as well.

I see this trade a lot in the mold of when Tampa acquired Erik Cernak, except Cernak was younger at the time. But it was a trade for a mostly unheralded defensive dman who was mostly viewed as a toss in for a cap flexibility deal. Cernak played a year for Syracuse at 21 and then jumped into playing 20 a night for a Cup contending team. He was able to do so because his game fit the role they needed and the teams structure allowed for a quick, relatively seamless transition from AHL to NHL.

commie

Jul 30, 2005
That people still continue to drink and drive... Just so frustrating.

Not to downplay the DD, as drinking and driving is terrible. But I don’t want to give this driver an excuse of alcohol. He was probably an aggressive/bad driver all along. He was trying to pass a car from the right/side of the curb, when the car in front of him was moving to the left to give space to the cyclists.
I can see this Jeep driver doing this type of passing even without alcohol to influence him.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I agree with all of this but I think they might see a little more in Emberson than just a 6/7 defender. He is what I would call a low ceiling guy and these types tend to be able to have an easier time making the jump. As I’ve said before I think his strengths suit the role they envision for him, which while important, isn’t a top role on the team. In addition to a very clear roll, I think the teams structure will make the transition easier as well.

I see this trade a lot in the mold of when Tampa acquired Erik Cernak, except Cernak was younger at the time. But it was a trade for a mostly unheralded defensive dman who was mostly viewed as a toss in for a cap flexibility deal. Cernak played a year for Syracuse at 21 and then jumped into playing 20 a night for a Cup contending team. He was able to do so because his game fit the role they needed and the teams structure allowed for a quick, relatively seamless transition from AHL to NHL.

There is another D who I would say Emberson is tracking a touch above at the same age(s):

Emberson NHL age 23- 0.31 PPG, 18:33
Matt Roy NHL age 23- 0.24 PPG, 17:08

Emberson AHL age 22- 0.39 PPG, +17
Matt Roy AHL age 22- 0.34 PPG, +10

Huge, huge, mega huge win if we have our own Roy in the pipeline. I just love watching that guy play his position.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I’m guessing there was more then a couple voices in the organization who saw Emberson as a better fit then Ceci even though he doesn’t have the same track record of experience, his tools are more suited to the role then Ceci and he has shown promise both at the AHL level and in a very short sample at the NHL level
He was on waivers less than a year ago, I'm honestly reserving judgement at this point. Yes, waiver players can sometimes give good results, but hoping to play a major role on a stanley cup finalist a year after waivers, I have some concerns.

Reactions: McHelpus

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He was on waivers less than a year ago, I'm honestly reserving judgement at this point. Yes, waiver players can sometimes give good results, but hoping to play a major role on a stanley cup finalist a year after waivers, I have some concerns.
He was also picked up from waivers by the first team who could claim him. For all we know, 30 teams put in waiver claims and the Rangers thought they could slip him through unnoticed. It's fair to reserve judgement. It's also fair, I think, for us to be hopeful, given his performance in San Jose and in the AHL in the Rangers system.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He couldn’t crack a stacked team at the time so the rangers gambled and waived him. He got claimed by the first team and got an opportunity and killed it. Looks more like an oopsies by the Rangers to me.

When I saw the trade here I was pumped.

It does make you wonder why SJ traded us him for peanuts though. I assume it’s because of his injury history but who knows. I think trading away a 23 y/o rookie D that just played 30 solid games of 2nd pair minutes against solid QoC for a 3rd round pick is insane but I’m not a GM. Picked off waivers or not I would be pissed.

I think it’s fair enough to reserve judgment though. Lots to prove.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yup. Liked Kessenring too. Hard to find big body guys who skate like that, shoot right, and have strong upwardly mobile potential when he left college early. Dad was an ex-pro and coach. That was a tough prospect to give up. Armstrong is a strong scouting guy out of the Blues organization so he shrewdly snagged Kesselring from a team that needed a rental player and retention.

Wanner's different with size and hard ice game but a real nice package that showed really well as a first year pro. The unknown of covid draft players reinforce this is a kid worth keeping and nurturing his development. Personally I prefer size and hard ice defenders for playoff hockey marathon situations. Besides no reason to clog their cap now with a nondescript NHL 3rd pair experience with some potential to maybe play at 2RD. The Oilers already have 3RD/7 dmen. With cheap proven veteran 2RD available I'd look elsewhere too.
I think we at the point of our development curve that anyone in the AHL who can't step up and make the NHL lineup is a trading chip for upgrading the roster.

We are barren in the AHL in terms of NHL talent, but we aren't in the restocking the cabinet part of the curve either. it's all hands on deck for another cup or bust year. As such, I wouldn't get too attached to anyone in Bakersfield who isn't penciled in as a NHL regular yet.

commie

Jul 30, 2005

Gustav Forsling was placed on waivers 3 years ago, and now is one of the top 10 D in the league. He played big minutes when the Panthers lost in the finals, and last year when they won, he was critical part of the team.

Good players do get placed on waivers from time to time when they are caught up in the numbers game and are blocked

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
They can, just not a significant amount. It's in Frank's article

If you didn't see it

I have a feeling the NHL might reject it.

The best hope is they introduce a mechanism, something that works similar to Brown's bonus where the contract bonuses spill over into the next season.

Boston also did this with Iginla back in the day where he signed b2b bonus laden contracts to defer most of the the cap hit to the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad