Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I bet the league rejects our Drai signing after trying this “Carolina” method and we are forced to give up compensation in the form of a draft pick.
Well I am sure that the League would be involved in the conversation. If the CBA explicitly permits deferrals like this it is only a question of how far you can go. If the deferral is upfront and the league is consulted I don't see how they can later determine it to be circumvention. They could reject the contract of course. But there should be no penalty.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yes, because it actually shows you how he performs. Numbers don’t have biases.
Because you don’t trust coaches who get paid millions and know more about the team than anyone else and who depend on certain players to do the needed so they don’t get fired. Minutes on the ice is an undervalued stat to compare players on the same team. I think an evaluation could be made using traded guys as a form of mathematical analysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because you don’t trust coaches who get paid millions and know more about the team than anyone else and who depend on certain players to do the needed so they don’t get fired. Minutes on the ice is an undervalued stat.
I totally agree about the time on ice stat. To me that is the most underrated stat, and a measure of coach's trust. On a bad team a player might have some very poor stats but if they have a high TOI then that player is a good bet to flip their stats into the positive in a hurry if the team as a whole turns it around

Reactions: AM

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have a feeling the NHL might reject it.

The best hope is they introduce a mechanism, something that works similar to Brown's bonus where the contract bonuses spill over into the next season.

Boston also did this with Iginla back in the day where he signed b2b bonus laden contracts to defer most of the the cap hit to the next year.
Maybe, but like if a team says they'll pay a player $10M over the following 10 years, that's a major commitment by the owner

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I have a feeling the NHL might reject it.

The best hope is they introduce a mechanism, something that works similar to Brown's bonus where the contract bonuses spill over into the next season.

Boston also did this with Iginla back in the day where he signed b2b bonus laden contracts to defer most of the the cap hit to the next year.
The article suggests they already vetted the basic terms with the NHL who were in agreement that it would be registrable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wouldn't it make sense to do this for both Draisaitl and even Bouchard?

If you can alter the cap hit even by 0.5 million each it's significant, if you can alter the cap hit by 1 mill+, you'd be crazy not to do it provided the player's are game.

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wouldn't it make sense to do this for both Draisaitl and even Bouchard?

If you can alter the cap hit even by 0.5 million each it's significant, if you can alter the cap hit by 1 mill+, you'd be crazy not to do it provided the player's are game.
Bouch may be a tougher sale. He does not yet have the big bank account that Leon would so he may be more reluctant to take a lot of deferred money. But if he'd go for it it could well be a smart move for the Oilers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can Leon friggin sign? I won’t lie lol I’m getting a little nervous

Hold your horses. The Seth Jarvis contract has serious implications, the Oilers could be very lucky they didn't rush like idiots to sign early like we did with Nurse for no reason.

Nathan MacKinnon did not sign until September 20th of the year he was signed in, our front office should totally be looking at that deferred salary structure.

Reactions: Duke74

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From his instagram it seems like he is still in Europe. I wouldn't expect a contract until he is in Edmonton.

I won't get worried unless he isn't signed by the season opener.

It looks like Connor is in Germany too, and oddly so is Auston Matthews, lol.

Maybe Leon is showing them around.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It looks like Connor is in Germany too, and oddly so is Auston Matthews, lol.

Maybe Leon is showing them around.
Auston and Connor are skating with the local Red Bull DEL team. It’s strange but who knows. It’s good for matthews though I think. With him taking the captaincy, him being around Mcdavid is a good thing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well I am sure that the League would be involved in the conversation. If the CBA explicitly permits deferrals like this it is only a question of how far you can go. If the deferral is upfront and the league is consulted I don't see how they can later determine it to be circumvention. They could reject the contract of course. But there should be no penalty.
Didn’t stop the league from fining the devils for the kovalchuk contract.

Reactions: AM

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is from Bob McKenzie's article:

What if Draisaitl was hypothetically willing to defer $33.6 million of that contract to be paid out over the 40 years after the deal expires? That would be approximately $840,000 per year from 2033 until 2073, and yes, we’re talking a Bobby Bonilla-type contract. That would pay Draisaitl $80 million over the first eight years of the deal, hypothetically making for a cap hit in the neighborhood of $10 million per year – or a discount of $4.2 million per year of the deal.

That isn’t exactly how the calculation or the math works, but the numbers are round and it’s easy to grasp and understand. Draisaitl has already earned north of $70 million in his career. To bring in another $80 million over the first eight years of the next deal makes him more than financially secure for future generations of Draisaitls – and the deferred $33.6 million, which is accruing interest the entire time, is not just gravy but also idiot-proof savings.

Now I don't know if Drai would accept something that extreme, lol, but what about $112 million with $20 million deferred?

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Because you don’t trust coaches who get paid millions and know more about the team than anyone else and who depend on certain players to do the needed so they don’t get fired. Minutes on the ice is an undervalued stat to compare players on the same team. I think an evaluation could be made using traded guys as a form of mathematical analysis.
Um, flawed argument. Teams that have won championships use analytics in their coaching decisions. John Cooper, for example, says he gets analytical reports before and after every game and uses it to make coaching decisions and matchup decisions. Cassidy has been a proponent of analytics of a long time- hell, he changed the system Boston used to play and lowered shot volume in favour of shot quality and location based on his team analytics. Same with Colorado. Most winning coaches use an all encompassing methodology. Didnt KK mention something to this effect this season as well?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Didn’t stop the league from fining the devils for the kovalchuk contract.
That was different though. The issue with the Kovalchuk deal is that there were tag on years designed ti lower the cap hit that the player would probably never play. In the deferrals all money is paid and hence all money is actually counted against the cap. It is just that by deferral the team is only charged the present value of the deferred money which would be less.

This won't be precise but rather just for illustration. Lets say that Player A was going to sign an 8 year $10M deal with each year at $10. Assume that in each year of the contract $1M was deferred for 8 years at teh current US discount rate of 5.5%. That would see the player receive $1M in deferred money in years 9 through 16. But the present value of each of those payments would be discounted to $650K.

In this case the player would receive $9M for the first 8 years and $1M for the next. But the cap hit would be $9M + present value = $9M + $650K = $9.65M reducing the cap hit by $350K. For a guy like Draisaitl they could pay him $14M and defer say $5M per year reducing the cap to $12.25M. Similarly with McDavid.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Wow! Fantastic find. The Oilers should be all over this with both McDavid and Leon. Maybe this is even being considered.
Tulsky is such a good GM.

This would better for Draisaitl because I assume the "deferred salary" would be treated the same as a signing bonus- i.e- you pay taxes on that based on your permanent residence- in Leon's case- Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad