Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I'd be open to trying out Tony DeAngelo if he comes cheap. What's the deal with him? Is he a total douche bag or something?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Rumor is that Nashville wants Wanner for Fabbro.

- Oilers now
The question with Fabbro is, is he someone we really want to pay the assets for? Or is it better to play with who we have and go bigger game hunting at the deadline? Unless Fabbro comes with a reasonable extension...

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
I don't really get the fascination with Fabbro.

Undersized, not a great skater, no physicality, no offense, doesn't really PK.

He kind of seems like a guy who would have been out of the league a few seasons ago if he didn't have "potential" from being a 1st round pick.
I believe his underlying defensive metrics may be a part of the interest by the fanbase, myself included (assuming a reasonable cost, ie. less than Wanner).

NHL_Sid penned a terrific article just over a week ago detailing potential 2RD solutions both inside and outside of the org. Fabbro shows as a near ideal partner for Nurse based on his strengths, especially zone exits with were in the 92nd %ile of all dmen.

oilersnation.com/news/how-can-the-edmonton-oilers-fix-the-glaring-hole-on-their-second-defensive-pairing

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If the team was trying to shelter that player, they would've done desperate things to keep one of Ceci or Broberg on this roster. He's the driver of that pairing and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

The point is that his cap hit is a reality. It's not going anywhere. So we're left with the player. And that player, when playing well, is a capable top pairing defenseman.
The team had no other options.
They have a $9.25M dman in Nurse who is difficult to play with because of his poor decision making in his own zone.
Who would you have suggested they play on Nurses pairing?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He kind of seems like a guy who would have been out of the league a few seasons ago if he didn't have "potential" from being a 1st round pick.
You'd think/hope that he has some very good qualities if we are going to add him to Stetcher, Emberson and Brown? How many 3rd pairing RHD do we need ffs?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean, that goes for a number of defensemen in this league. Remove either of the guys on our top pairing and odds are you see their flaws stand out.

The reality with Nurse is that his cap hit doesn't matter. It's there and it's not going to go anywhere. So you have to come to terms with the fact that this is a defender that's going to need to be a significant player for the duration of his contract.

You're taking this discussion to a place that the quote never intended. Live with Darnell. Learn to love Darnell. He's not going anywhere for a long time.
I am not following you here. Ekholm literally made Bouchard a better player. Bouchard even said as much in an interview.
Why did this happen? Likely because Ekholm is a consistently reliable defensive player. When a player has a high level of consistency that makes it easier to play with him because you know what to expect.
That is why its so difficult to play with Nurse...his impulsivity makes it very difficult to play with him.
At the cap hit that Nurse takes up he should be making the players on his D pairing better Ilike Ekholm) ...instead we have to hope that the team finds a player that can absorb some of the poor decisions Nurse consistenly makes in his own zone.

Serious question...do you even watch Nurse play in his own zone? How do you rationalize his poor decision making?

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Why would Nashville trade Fabbro at all for something middling?
Josi-Fabbro
Skjei-Carrier
Lauzon-Schenn

I can't imagine they're trying to make room for a prospect (Molendyk (L) is at least a season away, maybe Gibson?). If anything, I could see them adding a RHD to compete with Schenn/Carrier in the latter two lines.

Unless we're offering them someone like Nuge (they could benefit from a proven 2C to shift Stamkos to LW/Novak to 3C), I can't see them be interested?

Is Nuge for Fabbro worth it for either team?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'd be open to trying out Tony DeAngelo if he comes cheap. What's the deal with him? Is he a total douche bag or something?

He's always been a total douche and can't play defense to save his life. DeAngelo would raise Oil country's blood pressure up even higher with his atrocious defense
Why would Nashville trade Fabbro at all for something middling?
Josi-Fabbro
Skjei-Carrier
Lauzon-Schenn

I can't imagine they're trying to make room for a prospect (Molendyk (L) is at least a season away, maybe Gibson?). If anything, I could see them adding a RHD to compete with Schenn/Carrier in the latter two lines.

Unless we're offering them someone like Nuge (they could benefit from a proven 2C to shift Stamkos to LW/Novak to 3C), I can't see them be interested?

Is Nuge for Fabbro worth it for either team?

Why on earth would we remotely trade one of our heart and soul players in Nuge for a Fabbro that will be UFA after next season?
(And I'm a supporter of the Fabbro to the Oilers train)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I've looked at him many times the numbers paint a pretty clear line that he produces very good results when paired with an elite partner i.e. his GF% was great with both Josi and Ekholm, but seemed generally incapable of getting the job done away from them.

I know some might think the simple solution would be acquire him and pair him with Ekholm again and move Bouchard and Nurse together, but IMO what makes the Ek + Bouch pairing deadly is how well the synergize on zone entry denials.

Then the question is Nurse "elite" enough to produce crooked results with Fabbro? To that I don't know the answer, but it seems a reasonable gamble to take at Fabbro's cap-hit and seems much more likely to work out well than the alternative options we presently have.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Rumor is that Nashville wants Wanner for Fabbro.

- Oilers now
Speculation bouncing all over the place.

Hard pass. I'll bet on Wanner with size, physicality and growth upside. Sign a cheap veteran 2RD to get through to deadline. Get a true RD upgrade then. Fabbro's an age 25 non-descript defender with average size and no bite.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's a coaching opportunity/problem with consideration options for:

1. Deployment - (move Nurse to play with Bouchard with McDavid 99 percentile offensive zone time inflater effect) and shift Ekholm into the harder, d-zone goal suppression heavy lifting that Nurse does. Reduce Nurse's toi overall, or reduce his critical game situation play when heightened competitive situations often lead to his poor decision making choices. As coach hope you have adequate coverage for all defending critical moment situations. Utilize Kulak more in third pairing enhanced responsibilities to PK and add more critical game situation play support.

2. Personnel - finally upgrade this team's long held weakness at 2RD. Explore fit options of either strong, structured defensive dman who enables Nurse to pivot to puck transporter and o-zone attacker EV strength of his game. Probably most cost effective and supply option. Or look for a puck mover with size and strong processing skill to help mitigate weighted own zone defending time with efficient puck movement.

The player's baseline is double digit goals, 30 point production, 20+ minute deployment largely in this team's critical situation play. Work smarter and creatively as a management group and coaching staff to harness big strengths and mitigate gaps. He's not going anywhere nor is his established long-term salary.
Bouchard and Nurse have played together already. It was an unmitigated disaster.
It wouldnt make sense to try that again IMO even though Bouchard is a more mature player.
Sometimes styles matter and the Ekholm/Bouchard pairing is by far the best pairing this team has.
It would be a mistake to change that.

So to continue with the deployment issue...Ceci was the best available option to pair with Nurse. Anyone that watched the games could see that Nurse created his own problems much of the time with his poor decision making. Even though Ceci was the whipping boy for much of Nurses poor play. Not a good pairing for sure but Nurse much of the time created his own problems.

So really this comes down to trying to maximize Nurse as much as possible so the search for the elusive Dman to pair with him continues. As I said Nurse will never deliver full value for his contract but he might be a servicable 2nd pairing dman if the team can find that magic player...a cheap and defensively solid Dman who can handle top 4 minutes
That player is likely cloaser to a unicorn that it is to a real player.
We shall see how Emberson works out.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
You don’t get extra capspace from people being on LTIR. If anything, you lose it (you lose any cap you’re short of the limit), and you don’t accrue through the year

I didn’t say extra cap space, I said this was potentially an avenue to increase LTIR overages, and if that amounted to potentially more LTIR cushion than accruing cap space for the deadline.

Reactions: McHelpus

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bouchard and Nurse have played together already. It was an unmitigated disaster.
It wouldnt make sense to try that again IMO even though Bouchard is a more mature player.
Sometimes styles matter and the Ekholm/Bouchard pairing is by far the best pairing this team has.

So to continue with the deployment issue...Ceci was the best available option to pair with Nurse. Anyone that watched the games could see that Nurse created his own problems much of the time with his poor decision making. Even though Ceci was the whipping boy for much of Nurses poor play. Not a good pairing for sure but Nurse much of the time created his own problems.

So really this comes down to trying to maximize Nurse as much as possible so the search for the elusive Dman to pair with him continues. As I said Nurse will never deliver full value for his contract but he might be a servicable 2nd pairing dman if the team can find that magic player...a cheap and defensively solid Dman who can handle top 4 minutes
Like I wrote and outlined. It's a management and coaching problemtunity. I'd like to see the Nurse Bouchard raw numbers and situational play overlay to assess your claim. But regardless Nurse isn't going anywhere so it'd be nice to see some new material from you. Repeating things endlessly across multiple threads over and over and over won't bend reality.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Except it wasnt an unmitigated disaster

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The question with Fabbro is, is he someone we really want to pay the assets for? Or is it better to play with who we have and go bigger game hunting at the deadline? Unless Fabbro comes with a reasonable extension...
Hell no man. You go for this 100%. When you have a chance at a top 4 right handed dman, you jump on it. Tell me when was the last time we were able to go big game hunting and were able to grab a top 4 right handed dman? The only one I remember is Larsson and that was in season where we had to give away Taylor Hall. Don't wait on this.

Punch the button and don't worry about it

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hell no man. You go for this 100%. When you have a chance at a top 4 right handed dman, you jump on it. Tell me when was the last time we were able to go big game hunting and were able to grab a top 4 right handed dman? The only one I remember is Larsson and that was in season where we had to give away Taylor Hall. Don't wait on this.

Punch the button and don't worry about it
Fabbro was a ~16 minute a night dman last season. That’s closer to Vinny Desharnais minutes than it is top 4 minutes. Top 4 guys with Fabbros age and experience should be seeing their responsibility increase, not decrease like his has. He played less than either Emberson or Stecher did last season.

Reactions: McDoused

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Interesting. DO IT

He's played top 4 minutes. The second pair one year was him and Ekholm
And since then his responsibility and trust has decreased. Emberson and Stetcher have both been top 4 NHL dmen than him more recently.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
And since then his responsibility and trust has decreased. Emberson and Stetcher have both been top 4 NHL dmen than him more recently.
Are we comparing a rookie who was on waivers last year and a #7 Dman to Dante Fabbro now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad