Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I thought he f***ed with K'Andre Miller which sparked all of that. Either way, despite points in the past, he was useless last year, and there's little suggest he's improved. If he can swallow the Russian issue, he should play there.
Pretty sure it came out that this was false

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I thought he f***ed with K'Andre Miller which sparked all of that. Either way, despite points in the past, he was useless last year, and there's little suggest he's improved. If he can swallow the Russian issue, he should play there.
I actually insist DeAngelo signs with the Oilers just to see your reaction. :DD

Reactions: Stauf4Prez

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Seravelli said on his podcast they're trying to bring him in on a PTO but he's refusing PTO at the moment
Yeah. Well he can play the waiting game if he wants. Look at the PTOs that are being handed out right now. I think he will take it eventually. All it takes is a nudge or a slight push ;)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Schultz would be interested in returning because he isn't interested in learning any Russian which would be his next option.

That said, I don't really want any of these names. Barrie for familiarity I would have been able to get behind but the other guys don't have that edge and aren't any better than what we've got already.

A veteran with defensive acumen as his calling card is what we need, but the only guys out there are all offence.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
I don't want Schultz, I remember yelling at the TV every time he made a soft play or lost a puck battle with 0 compete. We already have the much better version of him in Bouchard.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I don't want Schultz, I remember yelling at the TV every time he made a soft play or lost a puck battle with 0 compete. We already have the much better version of him in Bouchard.
To be fair JS has grown extensively since he was shipped to the Pens. He won two cups and became much better defensively. Now whether that was being paired with Domoulion (sp) or not I’m not sure but he’s not the same JS that was here on 2013

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We need a puckmover like it or not. Nurse and Kulak suck at breakout passes. Emberson has a decent first pass but we haven't really seen him play

For sure, but I mean more in the sense of the type of player that would typically be readily available for depth in September. Stecher, Barrie, TDA, Schultz, etc can all move the puck, but I don't think any of them can play second pair minutes and not be a train wreck in their own end, especially if they are paired with Nurse.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Ron Hainsey type of yesteryear that has been around the block and is nothing special, but knows what he's doing and can give you responsible minutes.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
For sure, but I mean more in the sense of the type of player that would typically be readily available for depth in September. Stecher, Barrie, TDA, Schultz, etc can all move the puck, but I don't think any of them can play second pair minutes and not be a train wreck in their own end, especially if they are paired with Nurse.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a Ron Hainsey type of yesteryear that has been around the block and is nothing special, but knows what he's doing and can give you responsible minutes.
That guy is Gio but no we don’t want him here no matter how much he fits the bill.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We need a puckmover like it or not. Nurse and Kulak suck at breakout passes. Emberson has a decent first pass but we haven't really seen him play
You aren't wrong, but I also think we might need help on the PK on the right side

Yes Stetcher and Emberson did play PK last year, but they were on pretty bad penalty kills so tough to know if they are gonna be able to step in for us

Reactions: K1984

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I did some digging into Schultz last year and it looks like his actual 5v5 GF and GA's were much lower than his expected. He was on the ice for 25 GF and 39 GA for 39.06 GF% - the worst on the Kraken. However, his xGF was 36.04 (11 more than his actual) and his xGA was 33.57 (5.5 less than his actual). In total his xGF% was 53.02% (which was the 2nd highest among the kraken dmen).

SCF% when Schultz was on the ice was 54.43% (2nd highest among kraken dmen) and 49.32 HDCF% (4th among kraken dmen).

What's interesting is that his on ice sv% was only 90.03 (lowest for all kraken dmen), while a guy like Vince Dunn had a 94.21. Schultz also had a 0.959 PDO (lowest for all kraken dmen) compared to a guy like Vince Dunn who was 1.024.

He's definitely a guy that I would consider bringing in on a PTO or for 1M. He's bound to rebound with stats like that.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To be fair JS has grown extensively since he was shipped to the Pens. He won two cups and became much better defensively. Now whether that was being paired with Domoulion (sp) or not I’m not sure but he’s not the same JS that was here on 2013
How much better defensively has he grown? Guy was -23, next closest dman on team was -5. Heck the only other three guys that were a minus add up to -12

+/- isn't the greatest stat, but when you are that much worse than your teammates it's pretty telling.

That and he was the least used d-man by Seattle. Even a 2nd year pro first year rookie was playing more than him.

Might be a decent guy if you can limit his minutes and need some PP help, but he seems like a guy that would be best suited going to a non-playoff team and proving himself at this point.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Maybe Schultz finally wins his Norris here........ :naughty:
Steve Tambellini, Craig MacTavish ...

MacT approves this comment...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How much better defensively has he grown? Guy was -23, next closest dman on team was -5. Heck the only other three guys that were a minus add up to -12

+/- isn't the greatest stat, but when you are that much worse than your teammates it's pretty telling.

That and he was the least used d-man by Seattle. Even a 2nd year pro first year rookie was playing more than him.

Might be a decent guy if you can limit his minutes and need some PP help, but he seems like a guy that would be best suited going to a non-playoff team and proving himself at this point.
Yeah I’m very suspect of a guy his age who played as little as he did last season with as poor results as he had coming in and contributing in any way here.

I think Emberson and Stetcher are both better options.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I’m very suspect of a guy his age who played as little as he did last season with as poor results as he had coming in and contributing in any way here.

I think Emberson and Stetcher are both better options.
I'd feel a little differently if the makeup of our defense was different or I could trust Nurse more, but unless the plan is to bring him in and send him to Bakersfield in case of a Bouchard injury it just doesn't make sense.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If it's between TDA and Schultz you take TDA. Neither are good defensively but there's a chance the TDA has the chops to pair successfully with Nurse. Schultz is just another bottom pairing guy at this point

He played 11 mins of ES time per game last year, by far the lowest on his team. He is a 3rd pairing/#7 guy at this point.

Yeah I have time for Schultz as a #7. He can ride the press box for most of the time, and he is a serviceable replacement for Bouchard on the PP if Bouchard ever gets injured. We don't really have another option for the PP QB right now, unless you want to load up 34 year old Ekholm's minutes even more. Let Schultz be an insurance policy for league minimum and hardly ever play. I'm fine with that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He played 11 mins of ES time per game last year, by far the lowest on his team. He is a 3rd pairing/#7 guy at this point.
The real problem is a lot of people including myself think we need help on the back end still, but the list of available players is like choosing a car that's been picked through at the auto wrecker. Trying to find the one that maybe can work with some TLC.

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Hope you are right, its possible he became better so I guess we will wait and see.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Honestly, I think Emberson will surprise. It's why I think our D core will start like this:

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Schultz
Kulak Emberson

But eventually be this until the deadline:

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Emberson
Kulak Schultz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad